The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #26
gigamanx

Re: For better or worse, shes in my driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSSEY View Post
Looking good, so what's your overall path with this (motor, driveline, suspension, chassis, etc.)? Are looking to get it running and fix up as you go or are you doing a total tear down and rebuild?
The plan is baby steps. I want to enjoy it while also getting to choose projects as I go. I'm ok with driving around a junker for a while of the brakes and tranny runs. What I'm running into at the moment is just trying to get the engine back into operable condition and give the interior a good scrubbing so I'm not eating dirt while driving down the road. I have ordered a replacement driver door window because it's broken. If I can get those things done over winter, I can then tackle some of the surface rust areas where I can just grind and primer for now to stop the slow destruction of the metal.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #27
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
There should be a ballast resistor on the firewall to work along with that coil.

The way they mounted the rear axle is pretty crude but it looks like it has been that way for a long time. It looks like they bent a piece of 3/8 flat bar to go around the axle and welded it to the axle and used the stock clamps to hold it to the axle. The replacement axle will need the proper spring pads and U bolts though.

I'm like who ever said that most likely the engine, trans and rear axle came out of the same TF donor truck. That was a pretty common thing to do in the 70's when your babbitt beater finally flung it's last rod and a good running but beat up TF could be had cheap.

I'd get it running if it will run and then sit down and form a master plan after I got it running.
That's exactly my plan. Get it running, start forming a master plan. The end goal is definitely a daily driver with a sweet stance. I don't need perfection but I have specific things I love about modern resto-mods on these trucks.

I decided to grab a 12v battery and plug it in based on a few items in the engine bay seeming like it was for a 12v. Here is where the unexpected issues start. So nothing happened when I plugged the battery in. I found the grounding strap to the starter had been chewed off by rats and was just hanging there. I then found a wire to the alternator that had been chewed off and was hanging under the engine bay. Both headlights have had their wires chewed off...it's a treasure trove of fun lol

On top of all that, today I noticed fluid on the driveway. Looks like the radiator is leaking but I haven't pulled the front grill off to see if it's a hose leaking or the radiator itself. All part of the adventure I suppose
Old 10-14-2016, 10:55 PM   #28
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Gigimax...I wouldn't hook that battery up again until you trace out all the wiring..you've already found rat damage where you can see it imagine all the damage you can't see...be a good way to destroy what's left of your harness if there's a short somewhere..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:10 AM   #29
gigamanx

ordered an electrical guide to help me out with it. I don't see any issues under the dash, so it looks like I just have to go through the engine bay
Old 10-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #30
solidaxel

Make sure the BRAKES WORK first!
I would take out the tail light bulb and check it for 6 or 12VDC
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #31
pvienneau

awesome project. have fun with it/ Subscribed/

1949 unmolested Indy Farm Deluxe AD
1949 Standard 4 speed http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581544
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #32
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Make sure the BRAKES WORK first!
I would take out the tail light bulb and check it for 6 or 12VDC
Yeah, so the brakes don't work. I pulled a wheel off today to look inside and its caked with grease. Looks like a cleanup job first before I can even figure out what's going on. Some of the parts I'm wondering if I just go and get new ones instead of messing with cleaning up; like brake pads and master cylinder.

Got the emergency brake unstuck but have no idea if it even works since it was set when we rolled the truck on and off the trailer for transport with the wheels spinning freely.