The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
86ltrain

'86 700R4 lock-up

I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to 700R4's...What controls the lock up convertor in my '86 K10? I just ordered a new tranny and they claim it has a one wire 12V lock up convertor. I know theres a 3 wire harness that plugs into the tranny, does this have anything to do with it?
Old 08-24-2004, 01:52 AM   #2
chevyhouse
BEER-Vacation in a can...

If you have a one wire hookup to the tranny that means you will only have lockup in overdrive. Wire this to a 12v source through a brake switch that closes when you hit the brakes or splice into the brake light wiring. I don't know what the 3rd wire would be for but the other wire is for a second/third gear lockup option, this is normally used for towing in 3rd as locking the converter greatly reduces heat. This requires interal wiring inside the tranny and a toggle switch to control lockup. The internal wiring is pretty easy but if you don't tow I wouldn't worry about it.
This link should tell you everything you need to know

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...SUBCAT&CATID=O
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom

For Sale-87' V10-4x4, 408/700r4, 4.10's PM for pics
chevyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:47 PM   #3
86ltrain

Just got my new tranny today, looks identical to the original. It has the same three wire harness right by the shift rod, guess I'll treat it like the original...
Old 08-25-2004, 10:46 AM   #4
Rabid

try here as well for some answers:
www.700r4.com

I had one in my 72. Beautiful deal once you get it dialed in. Kick a$$ gas mileage compared to the T350.
Rabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:48 AM   #5
Rabid

ooops...chevyhouse already hooked you up with the link. My bad. good luck anyway.
Rabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:07 AM   #6
86k10

Well speaking from experience since we have the same trucks, and I build these trannys quite regular, I do know that the A wire is hooked to the 4-3 switch, B is hooked to the 4th cl. switch and D is hooked to 3rd cl. switch. If you still have all original wiring, and who ever built it, put in all the switches yours has, you will have lockup in 2nd 3rd and 4th. But unless you pull the pan you will not know for sure. Most people think you only need lockup in 4th and to that I say You need at least 3rd and 4th, and if you work yours as hard as I do mine on occasion, yes you need even 2nd. And as I said if no one has butchered your original wiring you are already wired through the brake switch and when you put the transfer case in either lock position it should unlock it too. Good luck with your new one, if you have any questions by all means ask and i'll do my best to help you out. And if they built yours as good as the one I just put in my old 74 C 20 you'll be able to do this just like like me.
86 GMC 5.0
77 Olds 98 6.6

REAL AMERICANS, DRIVE AMERICAN
86k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:10 PM   #7
86ltrain

86k10, as far as I know the wiring in my '86 is all ok so hopefully its working allright. I got it installed Friday night and ran it all weekend and am very pleased with the performance. I'm not sure if its locking up, I was always told you should be able to feel it lock, not sure that I can. If it keeps working as good as it has the last couple days I'm more than pleased. I really need to get some 3.73's in her though, 3.08's don't cut it. I did however smoke some kid in a Honda Del Sol today, I can't stand them damn loud 4 cyl's, had to put him in his place...
Old 08-29-2004, 06:56 PM   #8
86k10

Hey glad it works good, if you want to check your tcc, you can do it while driving at road speed, just hold a steady speed and lightly touch the brake you should feel it unlock. What I mean by lightly is don't push it down more than it takes to make the brake lights come on, maybe a half inch or so, but at the same time keep your foot steady on the gas so you can feel what it's doing. Now you're probably really confused or maybe not, but you'll get it.
86 GMC 5.0
77 Olds 98 6.6

REAL AMERICANS, DRIVE AMERICAN
86k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #9
86ltrain

I'll give that a try tomorrow, see what happens. Thanks for all the advice
Old 08-29-2004, 07:46 PM   #10
86ltrain

Thought I'd post this to see what you guys think...This is the list of mods that my builder provided for the tranny I rec'd(its alot to read, but interesting), I'm no expert but it sounded good to me. They called this there 700R4 HD/towing 4x4. They were rediculously slow on shipping but if its as good as they claim, it was worth the wait.

1-10 VANE PUMP -
you might ask why not a 12 vane well in test i have seen done the 10 rotor actually pumps more volume than the 12 the persistant thought is that the additional vanes simply take up more space in the pump but since the actual size or the area is the same theres less actual volume
2-MODIFIED LUBE CIRCUIT
as with most trannys the design is to use vented fluid from the preasure regulator to supply lube to the planetaries this is not a good idea since presure on coast can sometimes be quite low and the pr valve might not be in release mode ,thus under certain conditions such as coasting down a hill or full throttle run with let off and coast down the planets get no lube and even in a short time get very very hot so we modify the pr valve to allow bleed off to lube circuit at all times .
3-SONAX KEVLAR BAND
this band is 2.5 inches in width the stock is 2.25 this is a large increase in holding area in the intermediate drum in second and again in fourth gear .it also has a heavily reinforced band pin area to prevent pull though comon with agressive shifting performance trannys associated with the stock band .and everyone knows kevalr dosent mind getting hot !
4-RESURFACED 2-4 REVERSE INPUT DRUM
the drum the sonax band above rides on is machined for the 2.5 inch band the reason this must be done and many others dont we have learned, they try either a new drum or a pretty straight old one and in either case it wont work the reason being we have looked at new drums used a str8 edge on them and they are fine for the stock 2.25 inch band however gm never bothered to finish edges of drum properly and they raise but a few thousands at each end .THE problem the band grips the outer edges of drum first and then catches the center causing the band to be burned at the outer edges .so we machine all the drums in the super performance 4l60e transmissions and our MAX 700r4 trannys that use the wide band .
5- FINAL DESIGN 29 ELEMENT INPUT SPRAG
the is simply the strongest sprag that gm has to offer for either the 4l60e or the 700r4 if it dosent hold nothing will ,at present even the after market has nothing stronger .there used to be a product called the diode and it was stronger but was taken off the market due to durabilty problems they wouldnt break but they wore out rather quickly we used some that were wobbly in only 20000 miles
6-CORVETTE SERVO
this is the largest servo gm offers for this transmission and the one we prefer even over the after market billet servo ,the reason for this is its has the largest area while still allow proper release area for the band on the third gear shift ,you see the second gear oil is on one side slightly smaller applying the band while on the third shift the third gear oil comes in on the other side of servo and releases band ,they are at the same preasure ,the aftermarket billet servos have both sides the same size so you can see that if there are two equal forces working from each side over the same area the servo will not release or if it does there will be considerable overlap and although this dosent really affect the band much it plays havoc with the 3ird frictons since they have considerable less apply area /
7-9 FRICTION 3-4 CLUTCH SET
the stock 4l60e and the 700r4 come with either a 5-6or 7 friction third gear ,the 5 friction being most common in the 4l60e we replace this with and alto 9 friction set up accomplished using both thinner steels and frictions this increases the holding ability in third gear by up to 40 percent .also we enlarge the release oil passage in the valve body plate to get then out of the way in a suddden kick down to second for the same reason stated in the band section .
8-FORWARD CLUCTH
we use the thinest apply plate available to allow for the maximum number or frictions possible and we eliminate the waved cushion plate GM so thoughtfully included in favor of still another friction ,GM put this waved plate in to sofen the shift from neutral or park to drive making the engagement quiet pleasant this is not and issue to us we would rather have the holding power the forward clutch even though quite strong even from GM has to hold every bit of power you give in every gear except for fourth ,
9-THE BEAST SUNSHELL
the sunshell in the 4l60e as with the 700r4 was made very thin with only a tiny area of weld to hold the entire impact of both the 2nd gear and fourth gear shifts this done to conserve weight a few ounces .while it was fine for stock applications even then it failed when used for pulling ect regularly .the BEAST shell is specially redesigned its about 2x thicker and has a special bearing arangment to allow to a considerably thicker weld area and is considered to be up to three times stronger than than stock one it was made to take a beating
10-THE FAIRBANKS SUPERIOR OVERDRIVE SERVO
This servo has a considerably larger holding area that the stock over drive servo allowing
one to safely tow in overdrive ,it uses lip seals instead of the teflon ring to cut pressure loss .a major improvement over the stock servo

11-SHIFT KIT
our shift kit is actually a combo of superior and our own mods its built around the idea that performance is the priority and although it may not jerk your eyes out cruising you will definatly know its there and if you get on it and your like me WOW! .This is done with some springs and larger holes and increased line preasure and alot of other technical things to complicated to get into here
12-WE ALSO CROSS HATCH ALL OF OUR STEELS
this is done to improve holding and cooling by allowing some fluid to stay between frictions and steels while also increasing friction capabilities of these for greater holding .
13-ALL THE PlanNETARY GEARS WHERE THEY MEET A NEEDLE BEARING ARE SLOTED THIS BECAUSE WITH THE NEEDLE BEARING BEING A SMOOTH SURFACE AND THE PLANET THE SAME LUBE CAN AGAIN BE BLOCKED WITH THE SLOTS THIS NEVER HAPPENS AND THE LUBE IS ALWAYS THERE lack of lube kills more or these trannys than HP ever has

THESE TRANNYS ARE AVAILABLE IN EITHER 2 OR 4 WHEEL DRIVE JUST SPECIFY WHEN YOU PURCHASE

SO THERE IT IS EVERYTHING YOU NEEDED TO KNOW ,THERES ACTUALLY EVEN MORE BUT MOSTLY THOSE HAVE TO DO WITH DURABILTY ,STOPING SEAL BLOW OUT ECT AND I WONT GO INTO ALL THE DETAILS HERE THIS IS LONG ENOUGH NOW .

FRANK

the transmissions come with a 12 month unlimited milage warranty
Old 04-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
made2drag

Re: '86 700R4 lock-up

I have a 86 700r4 that seems to have a bad 4th since it doesn't ever shift from 3rd to 4th. I think the last guy might have messed it up some how. I read that 4th can go after a rebuild or if someone doesn't have their TV cable right.

If I run the 700r4 in "D" instead of "OD", will it let me get by without having the lockup cable hooked up? I have heard that 85 and up will not burn up, if you run without lock up, but I wish I knew for sure. I like it how it is and it drives like a turbo 350, but I am wondering about excessive heat and wonder if that excessive heat is only when TC spins in 4th? My solenoid only clicked once and is probably bad, which is another reason im fine with no 4th.
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote