The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2024, 12:15 PM   #1
milehighjimmy

power steering with stock suspension?

Hi all, I'm considering doing a power steering conversion with the stock front suspension. I see the kits being sold from all the vendors but don't see too many posts on this . Does anyone have any experience or opinions about doing this conversion?
milehighjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 12:27 PM   #2
nvrdone

Re: power steering with stock suspension?

what kits are you considering?
I was thinking about using a c10 box mounted forward of the axle over the bumper bracket.
After doing alot of research I found out that would have bump steer. So far I havent figured out what I want to do.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:31 PM   #3
mick53

I have this kit from Epas Performance. I haven't installed mine yet but put on on a friends truck 3 years ago. It's silky smooth and easy to install.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 02:38 AM   #4
mr48chev

The C-10 style is one of the popular and simple ones but it isn't without it's issues. One thing is that it can be a challenge to get the drag link level to help prevent bump steer.

The electric ones like the kit that Mick53 showed are becoming popular and a lot of folks are using the Toyota Prius fitted in the column under the dash, there is a bunch of info on those online.

I've been trying to figure out a simple cross steer setup but haven't worked on it on a chassis to fully figure it out. Basically use a C-10 box with the drag link running to the pasenger side spindle. That would take care of bump steer but there ma y not be clearance under the truck side to side to do it. This might work better on a stock height truck.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 01:09 PM   #5
nvrdone

I thought about using a c10 box with a cross steer The problem I found is that the cross steer link would hit the springs even with a stock height axle. I'm sure there is a way to do it , but it may take alot of work.
I'm beginning to understand why there are so many IFS kits being used now.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:11 PM   #6
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
I thought about using a c10 box with a cross steer The problem I found is that the cross steer link would hit the springs even with a stock height axle. I'm sure there is a way to do it , but it may take alot of work.
I'm beginning to understand why there are so many IFS kits being used now.
That has been my concern. I figured that I would have to start with a left side steering arm used on the right hand side facing forward. The drag link would go above the springs.

My original plan was to use a steering box behind the axle and run the drag link across to either the right hand steering arm or use a Jeep tie rod end with a new tie rod. The jeep tie rod end shown in the second image.

This is for a Model A /32 ford drawing wise but the concept is the same.

A Vega box isn't strong enough for an AD truck but the Nova/Camaro/chevelle size box is. Still it is a tight fit and one might have to mount the box and then build the motor mount around it.

Studebaker actually used cross steer on their early 50's pickups.
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:36 PM   #7
nvrdone

mr 48 - I looked at your idea. unfortunatly the drag link would hit the oil pan.
If i moved the steering box forward of the axle center line right behind the inner fender, the tie rod hits the springs.
The only workable way I see is to mount the box forward of the axle center line and then run the tie rod back to the left spindle, that would clear everything.
What I have been told is that with the tie rod running backward and the spring pivots on the front it creates lots of bump steer.
Maybe if I swapped the spring mount points front to rear that would work. But that's a lot of work. Maybe I will just instll a M2 style cross member and IFS.
Or just drive it like it is.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:05 PM   #8
chevyguyase

I installed EPAS on my 1954 3100 with stock suspension years ago. I took it off of a 2005 Prius. I have 160.00 dollars in it. It works perfect. No belts, hoses, pumps, brackets, leaks, drag link modifications, bump steer issues. I can turn my steering wheel with one finger and can't even hear it working and it's right in front of me. If you're interested and have a few fabrication skills I have a post on this site. They also have ready made kits available but they are expensive.
chevyguyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:20 PM   #9
nvrdone

I'd be interested in looking at this. Where can I find the posting? Thanks
Old 01-13-2024, 07:14 PM   #10
mr48chev

There is quite a bit of info on using the Prius units on the net.

I bought an Equinox power steering unit from a guy in Selah and then found out that they are a bit twitchy compared to the Prius unit.

Old 01-13-2024, 10:46 PM   #11
chevyguyase

click on the pink Chevyguyase and it will take you to my previous posts, or you can pm me. I'll be glad to help. There are a lot of YouTube videos now on the subject. I'll second the vote for using the Prius unit because of reputation and it's fail safe mode. You'll find find out more about the fail safe in the videos. If this unit does fail you still have steering.
chevyguyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 12:30 AM   #12
nvrdone

ok, just looked at videos of this conversion and i'm really conffose!
Looks like the Prius steering box goes between the stock steering box and the steering wheel.
I can see how this converts to power steering but how does this help with a worn out p/s box or relocating the box for clearance issues???
What am I missing???
Old 01-14-2024, 01:03 AM   #13
milehighjimmy

I'm thinking along the same lines as nvrdone. I was hoping to get some feedback on the commonly sold PS conversions that uses a GM steering box that mounts forward of the axle on the outside of the frame. Has anyone had any experience with this conversion? There isn't much info posted about this
milehighjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 10:47 AM   #14
dsraven

the steering box on the outside of the frame will give less turning radius to the right because the front wheel hits the box. bigger tire diameter means less radius because the bigger tire hits the box sooner. another issue is getting it done without bump steer, which makes for a scary and (can be) dangerous ride. a lot of guys use the toyota box that goes in the same place as the stock box and looks a lot like the stock conversion kits sold by the vendors. really, a lot of builders think the conversion os waaay to much money but then when you look at the other trinkets on their project that cost the same or more you wonder why they thought that when they had no problem spending money on other things that are peripheral systems and not a safety system that would be considered the basics. my thoughts would be spend your money on a good foundation, steering, brakes, suspension, tires, etc. then you will have a good, safe unit. after that the rest can be purchased as the budget allows. its like building a house and not building a proper foundation because it costs too much and you really want to save that money for other stuff like cool flooring or windows or something.
just my thoughts, its your truck and your money so you gotta do what you want.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 01:18 PM   #15
leegreen

some recent related threads

steering arm flex
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=824287

drag link angles & bump steer
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=839356

An example of a cross steer and more on bump steer
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=848123
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 06:30 PM   #16
studeclunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Studebaker actually used cross steer on their early 50's pickups.
Studebaker used that system up till '62. In '63 they came up with a whole new steering geometry for the light truck (Champ) that turned out to be rather less durable.

Would the suggested modifications here work on a '58 Apache 38?
studeclunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:33 PM   #17
mick53

My EPAS performance model specific kit was $1500 I think. It will not solve any worn steering box issues. I also rebuilt the box. Not expensive. You could install it with a drill, file and hacksaw if you wanted to.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote