The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2023, 05:05 PM   #1
Steve Van Gent

Did I get bad deal?

So last weekend I met with estate executor (friend of family) that was executor of an estate...the estate was a person that was a car enthusiasts and restorer. He had collected 3x 57 trucks and tore them down to base parts for future restoring.

In short, I now own 3x cabs, beds, front and rear fenders, doors, chrome sets, 5x hoods 2x frames. I have one full set of glass. 3x bumpers. 4x instrument clusters, 4x door panels, various other parts, cans of bolts and other parts.

I paid about $5k. I am now wondering if I paid too much. These are far north california trucks, have surface rust only, one cab is wrap back glass, other two are simple small back glass.

No idea if and when I will have time to work on this...a little buyers remorse I think...

Thoughts? Bad deal?
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 06:10 PM   #2
unclebrad

Re: Did I get bad deal?

Doesn't sound bad to me.

I'll bet you could build one nice truck and sell what is left over and make your money back.
Old 08-02-2023, 07:06 PM   #3
mr48chev

By southern california or rust belt pricing you got a bargain. If you got three non opt titles that match the cabs you did get a bargain.

If you haven't already, I would sort out the cab and the rest of the pieces that I actually wanted to build a truck with and set them off to the side earmarked for the build. Then I would take the cab I least wanted to build and set it over in another spot with attending pieces and put that up for sale as a build your own TF truck kit. Type out a detailed bill of sale listing exactly what is in the lot and print it out ahead of time so the buyer has it to take to the dmv later.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:48 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I think you got a raw deal... !!.
If it'll make you feel better I'll take this burden off your hands
Hahahaha...just kidding..
Sounds like a great deal to me..especially with only surface rrust

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:06 PM   #5
daveshilling

Sounds to me like you got a free truck in there... How can that be a bad deal?

By my math you have:

1 completeish big window truck with glass made from the best parts (keep that)

1 spare truck body on a frame with the Chrome bits (sell that as a truck, get your $5000 back depending on what that looks like)

Parts to sell to guys who need em, so you can finance the project further.

Post some photos...I'm sure if you want someone to help you out of the deal for $5000, you'll find someone.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:07 AM   #6
_Ogre

you did good. like unclebrad and dave said, you are building a free truck

nice

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:03 PM   #7
autowrench

Just a thought, do any of the frame VIN numbers match any of the cabs? If so, it might make it easier to get a title on the one you keep. Probably not a deal breaker. CA can be a real ***** as you most likely know. I know because I grew up just north of where you are.
Tom
autowrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:08 PM   #8
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by autowrench View Post
Just a thought, do any of the frame VIN numbers match any of the cabs? If so, it might make it easier to get a title on the one you keep. Probably not a deal breaker. CA can be a real ***** as you most likely know. I know because I grew up just north of where you are.
Tom
CA is the total opposite when it comes to titling old stuff. They aren't checking the frame. They aren't even going to check the truck at all, just the VIN plate. I love how simple CA is... the only challenge is if you dont have an old registration or a title showing the weight, they will want it weighed before they retitle it.
Old 08-03-2023, 11:56 PM   #9
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Hard to believe Ca. made anything that simple..that's good though

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 11:39 AM   #10
dsraven

I would think thats a great deal. probably a good idea to get a title on whatever you can. if you have 3 cabs then try for 3 titles. worth more with a title already in hand. match cabs to frames as you can to keep things as simple for the title work as possible in case a buyer is from another state
what would your build be, stock, stock body with newer underpinnings like indepedent front suspension, p/s and p.b, or a full on custom frame and pretty paint, full custom interior etc?
well done i think. too bad about the estate part of things though. was the previous owner a friend?
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 05:35 PM   #11
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Hard to believe Ca. made anything that simple..that's good though
It costs more for registration here, but I tell ya, as soon as you cross the interstate lines on the road... you can see the money. Suddenly the freeway looks and feels like crap as soon as you pass Welcome To sign. Smoother roads are better for emissions!
Old 08-04-2023, 07:40 PM   #12
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by autowrench View Post
Tom
According to the GM heritage page for 57 Chev trucks and AD trucks there are no and never have been serial numbers/vin numbers on Chevy AD and TF trucks. I've been all over a bunch of them and have never seen a stamped number on a frame.

This for 57 showing where serial numbers are and serial numbers never Match each other on older Chevy trucks. That didn't come about until around 1968.

Numbers matching on a 57 Chevy truck or Any AD or TF mean that all serial numbers are correct for that year and that model.
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:00 AM   #13
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
According to the GM heritage page for 57 Chev trucks and AD trucks there are no and never have been serial numbers/vin numbers on Chevy AD and TF trucks. I've been all over a bunch of them and have never seen a stamped number on a frame.

This for 57 showing where serial numbers are and serial numbers never Match each other on older Chevy trucks. That didn't come about until around 1968.

Numbers matching on a 57 Chevy truck or Any AD or TF mean that all serial numbers are correct for that year and that model.
Yeah it's there man, I can see mine. right by the old steering box area on Chevy TF. Matches my VIN plate
Old 08-05-2023, 10:05 AM   #14
Steve Van Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I would think thats a great deal. probably a good idea to get a title on whatever you can. if you have 3 cabs then try for 3 titles. worth more with a title already in hand. match cabs to frames as you can to keep things as simple for the title work as possible in case a buyer is from another state
what would your build be, stock, stock body with newer underpinnings like indepedent front suspension, p/s and p.b, or a full on custom frame and pretty paint, full custom interior etc?
well done i think. too bad about the estate part of things though. was the previous owner a friend?
No, not know him. I know executor of estate.

I think I am going to dump all this stuff, my eyes are too big for my stomach...

I will start pushing some pics...
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #15
dsraven

wowzers, you have a small gold mine there.
you're gonna dump it all and not build or assemble anything? I was really hoping for a new build thrad with a task force truck
PLEASE put an ad up here in classifieds so you give guys on the forum first dibs. original steel stuff that is straight and reasonably rust free is hard to find. somebody earlier up had a great idea to assemble a stack of parts enough to build a decent truck as a sort of kit, or two even, then put the rest on as parts. if you don't have a frame for the kit don't worry, lots o guys are frame swapping or have the cash to put it on a new frame with the modern underpinnings.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:22 AM   #16
dsraven

i remember seeing a vin stamped lightly into the frame near the steering gear on my Canadian 58.
I found this interesting, maybe the start of a federal program? sorry, don't mean to go down a rabbit hole, but this may be relevant. a wire brush would be good to take with next time just to see if the frames have a vin so they can be matched up to cabs if possible
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads...94227&page=all
Old 08-05-2023, 08:58 PM   #17
autowrench

My 59 too. Not too far from the steering box. Not sure when the practice started. Maybe 58 was the first year. I hope you do put parts up for sale on here. I have a brother in Redding who could pick up items for me!
Tom
autowrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 02:07 PM   #18
_Ogre

partial vin numbers are on the frame, mostly the year, series model and factory identifiers. it's not the whole vin. not sure you could ID basic 3100 basic work truck stepside vs fleetside vs cameo or V8 vs I6

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:04 PM   #19
unclebrad

There are lots of VIN decoders out there.
Here is one in case you are interested.
https://chevytrucks.org/1955-1959-ch...k-vin-decoder/
Not a lot of info can be gleaned from your VIN, but some.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:59 PM   #20
bosco

As many have stated, great deal on the lot. I too was terrified registering mine in Calif. It was out registration for 15+ years. VIN tag matched the paperwork, but I had to use a different frame (it was twisted). I actually was able to get all the registration done through AAA, and only had to pay a few hundred dollars. All done in a few minutes. It was simple (even for Calif.). If the VIN number on the cab matches your paperwork, you should be okay.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 02:41 PM   #21
Trucker79

I'm interested in bed parts. my 56 has a crappy bed. if you are interested in selling some parts hit me up.
Trucker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 01:40 PM   #22
PuzzleTruck
Puzzle Solver

Hi Steve,

If you still have the parts, I am in need of 55/56 front fenders. 57 fenders will work as well, if that's all you have. I can come pick them up any time in the next two weeks (around Thanksgiving).

Thanks,
Toby

'59 Stepside w/ '55 front clip, on '79 Blazer 4x4
with LQ4 and 4L60E
'66 Corvair Mid-engine EFI 350
My truck build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=832276

Last edited by PuzzleTruck; 11-16-2023 at 01:49 PM.
PuzzleTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 10:35 PM   #23
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
Yeah it's there man, I can see mine. right by the old steering box area on Chevy TF. Matches my VIN plate
Could be that GM didn't recognize a partial serial number as serial number because it was just to show that that chassis went with that cab. good for showing that you have the correct frame that came with that cab.

Old 11-18-2023, 10:46 PM   #24
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
Sounds to me like you got a free truck in there... How can that be a bad deal?

By my math you have:

1 completeish big window truck with glass made from the best parts (keep that)

1 spare truck body on a frame with the Chrome bits (sell that as a truck, get your $5000 back depending on what that looks like)

Parts to sell to guys who need em, so you can finance the project further.

Post some photos...I'm sure if you want someone to help you out of the deal for $5000, you'll find someone.
I can't say it any better than he did.

I'd be pulling out the frame I wanted with the cab I wanted and the best of the best fenders, hood, box and tail gate and setting that in my projects for later stash, Then I'd take the cab I thought would sell the fastest and the best of what is left to have a mocked up truck to sell. Then repeat with the third cab. Maybe plan on loading up one "truck" and a bunch of hoods and fenders and heading to Turlock in Janurary and Posting on FB marketplace and the Cali craigslists that you will be there with that load.

Old 01-04-2024, 05:53 PM   #25
Steve Van Gent

UPDATE: Sorry, been very busy at work. I now have one pink in my name, I have other two sets of paper work, need to haul cabs and frames to CHP for VIN verication; PITA!

That said, I think I want to dump entire lot, try to get back my money. Please ping me if you have big truck and want to get entire lot;