The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2023, 11:07 AM   #1
regan56

SBC Power Steering pump and brackets

OK, this might sound like a simple question but..

i have a 327 out of what i have determined to be a '68 chevy car (nova, chevelle etc). PS pump will be on the drivers side, long WP. i purchased a PS conversion kit from, well i dont know who now (life got in the way) for my 56GMC. i have the hoses, just not the pump or the brackets to fit. the engine never came with them so....

my simple mind tells me that any SBC bracket and pump will work..but will it?

also, and maybe this doesn't even matter, my ram-horn ex manifold on that side has the mounting bolt hole..again not sure that matters or not.
regan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:37 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: SBC Power Steering pump and brackets

All SBCs are configured the same. All have the same bolt holes in the same places, but over the years, accessory mounting has varied wildly. Unlike AC compressors and alternators, power steering pumps always mount on the driver's side... As for water pumps, only two choices -- short and long.. I could be wrong on this part, but I don't think '68 cars had a long water pump, although in your application, it doesn't matter.. Accessory bracketry varies from model to model and year to year.. Your best bet is to visit your local pick-and-pull.. Select a SBC that has a long pump and get all the accessory bracketry, pulleys and all.. You might even consider getting the exhaust manifolds also. That way everything will fit and line up properly.....
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:12 PM   #3
1project2many

There are differences in power steering and alternator brackets that can play havoc with a conversion. If your cylinder heads do not have bolt holes in the face of the head you will not be able to use brackets that fit heads with bolt holes. If your brackets use the lower bolts on the block, the same ones that are used for the OE '55 - '59 truck V8 mounts, it can play havoc with your conversion. If you get a pump and brackets from a vehicle with threads or fittings that do not match your hoses, it could play havoc with your conversion.

It may be possible to help if you provide more details. What engine mounts are you using? Does the LH head have bolt holes in the front? Stock exhaust and intake or aftermarket? Metric or standard threads on the hoses?

Sorry it's such a pain. I've played this game to many times in my own projects....
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #4
regan56

all stock from 1968, def not metric.

on the hoses though...good question, im pretty sure i bought the PS box from CPP..ill have to look. How would i be able to know SAE vs Metric threads without trial and error?

ill have to look at the heads again but they are stock issue as well.

previous post has me double thinking the LWP, im sure i can get my hand in there lol, im at work now but im 90% sure its a LWP.

ram horn exhaust mainfold..
Old 12-01-2023, 03:45 PM   #5
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
There are differences in power steering and alternator brackets that can play havoc with a conversion. If your cylinder heads do not have bolt holes in the face of the head you will not be able to use brackets that fit heads with bolt holes. If your brackets use the lower bolts on the block, the same ones that are used for the OE '55 - '59 truck V8 mounts, it can play havoc with your conversion. If you get a pump and brackets from a vehicle with threads or fittings that do not match your hoses, it could play havoc with your conversion.

It may be possible to help if you provide more details. What engine mounts are you using? Does the LH head have bolt holes in the front? Stock exhaust and intake or aftermarket? Metric or standard threads on the hoses?

Sorry it's such a pain. I've played this game to many times in my own projects....
This is the right answer. He has been there done that and is not "assuming"

60's 327 with a long water pump stuck on it is a pain in the keester to fit brackets on. That is usually for the alternator rather than power steering pump though.

I think what I would do as research is go look at mid 70's square body tru cks with small blocks that should have a long pump and see how they are set up.

Most of the GM Saginaw pumps are the same, it is the canisters that are different and even going from Chevy small block to Chevy small block without matcing brackets the canister sometimes doesn't let the hoses fit right due to it's orientation.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 05:07 PM   #6
1project2many

Quote:
60's 327 with a long water pump stuck on it is a pain in the keester to fit brackets on. That is usually for the alternator rather than power steering pump though.
Agreed. I ended up fabbing alternator brackets for the '57. PS brackets from late '60s are nice for side engine mount vehicles since they use the two bottom bolts on LH front of block.

Quote:
I think what I would do as research is go look at mid 70's square body tru cks with small blocks that should have a long pump and see how they are set up.
That's a good choice. The mid '70s trucks use a power steering bracket that bolts through the water pump.

This is 77-81 style pump and brackets:
https://www.chicagomusclecarparts.co...-pump-brackets

There's also this system:
https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-che...ntional-system

Old 12-01-2023, 05:51 PM   #7
mr48chev

I'm thinking that part of that pump bracket for 73/80 does bolt to the head though. Ok if his heads have the bolt holes as some later 327 heads did but not cool if he has the early 327 heads with no holes.

When I first put the 78 350 in my 71 I used the short water pump for the 71 and then figured out that the timing tab on the 78 engine is at 12 oclock on the timeing cover and I couldn't time it with a light. I swapped pumps and then had to go to the Bone Yard to find brackets off a squarebody pickup I got pump and all that time. that has been so long ago that I forget exactly what I used. I think I did some mixing and matching but stuck that setup in the shed when I put the Cad 500 in the truck and am not sure that it is even still in the shed.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:46 AM   #8
dsraven

snap a pic ofthe front of your engine, your intended engine mounts and what you have for parts. also the steering box/rack input
a pic says a thousand words
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 11:19 AM   #9
regan56

I’ll try and get pics but I do have 2 holes in the head, a couple lower on the block and one on the end of my exhaust manifold. LWP as well.

Are we able to paste pics directly or does it have to be through a separate photo hosting website?
Old 12-02-2023, 11:26 AM   #10
dsraven

rickysnickers posted a how to thread on pics but if you hit "post reply" a box comes up for dialogue and below that in the "additional options" there is a box for "attach files" that contains a button to "manage attachments" hit that button and a new box pops up that allows you to choose files on your device. then hit the upload button in that box and the files should show up in the manage attachments area. when done hit submit reply. i would say try it with a single pic to see how it works but then if you wanna do several pics at a time I usually do a single pic upload at a time because that works faster. you could private message rickysnickers and he would be happy to send you a how to or a link to that thread he made.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:30 AM   #11
dsraven

rickysnickers is a moderator here. just type rickysnickers into the search bar at the top, highlight the 67-72 icon and hit enter,, his profile will come up and you can private message him.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:31 AM   #12
regan56

pics attached I hope.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 12-03-2023 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:34 AM   #13
dsraven

It works!
You even have the exhaust manifold with the bolt holes for ps brackets.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:42 AM   #14
regan56

PS box.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2023, 02:02 PM   #15
regan56

At this point looking at all the mounting options I have I feel I can snag brackets off any SBC with the LWP?

I would like to buy a new PS pump instead of a donor.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:14 PM   #16
fauXGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by regan56 View Post
At this point looking at all the mounting options I have I feel I can snag brackets off any SBC with the LWP?

I would like to buy a new PS pump instead of a donor.
Yep.
If it's a new box, get a new pump to not contaminate the system. They are not that expensive.
'92 GMC Sonoma GT VIN #0015
'91 GMC Sonoma GT extended cab 1 of 1
.....and more trucks
fauXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 11:56 PM   #17
1project2many

Quote:
Not sure. Maybe you have good luck? If I pick "any LWP" vehicle it would be the wrong one. I'd go for late '60s Chevrolet if possible.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:40 AM   #18
mr48chev

If you are snagging, snag off a Chevy pickup with a small block. The reason being, is orientation of where the pressure line and return lines hook up. The pump is set up for flare fittings and that may create a challenge if you get a later style pump with the newer style ( I just flat don't know the correct name) fittings. You can swap the pressure fitting in the back of the pump to get the correct fitting though. Otherwise you might have to have a hydraulic shop make the hose or use one of the mix and match ends hose combos if they are still available that come as half a hose that you connect to the other half a hose you need to make it work. Those heads with the bolt holes make things ten times easier though.

Personally I would just go get the whole setup off a 73/87 truck as the diagram that 1project2many showed and then decide if I wanted to replace the pump it's self The pump usually comes as just the pump and you put your pulley and canister on it. Looking at Rock auto you can get them for a 77 C10 with a 350 with the can on them though. Some of The parts numbers would match numbers at your local parts houses.
Attached Images

Last edited by mr48chev; 12-03-2023 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-10-2023, 06:44 PM   #19
regan56

UPDATE:

I was able to find a bracket and pump to fit.

Now my question is about belts. I have the crank with 3 grooves, WP with 2 grooves. My PS pump lines up with the middle CS groove and the rear WP groove. My Alt lines up with the front grooves of each the WP and CS.

Do each of the Alt and PS need to go around both the CS and WP pulleys?
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 12-11-2023 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:45 PM   #20
regan56

UPDATE:

I was able to find a bracket and pump to fit.

Now my question is about belts. I have the crank with 3 grooves, WP with 2 grooves. My PS pump lines up with the middle CS groove and the rear WP groove. My Alt lines up with the front grooves of each the WP and CS.

Do each of the Alt and PS need to go around both the CS and WP pulleys?
Old 12-10-2023, 07:59 PM   #21
1project2many

The rear CS pulley was used for A/C.

You can skip the CS to PS belt although it does help. I believe a double Alt pulley will allow double WP / PS belts. Belts will go around CS and WP.

If using 2 OE style belts of different length, tighten PS so rear PS belt is tight. Then tighten ALT next.

Good luck.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:53 PM   #22
regan56

My ALT only has one v.

Knowing that, does this make sense?

One belt WP to PS
One belt CS to WP to ALT
Old 12-11-2023, 02:31 AM   #23
mr48chev

Did you catch what year and model that the power steering pieces came off?

Look the belts for that model.

Changing pulleys isn't much of a hassle, you just need the right size Allen wrench with a long handle and the right size wrench and the double pulley. Oh and a cheater pipe to put on the long handle Allen wrench.

I'm not going to say that I didn't have a hassle when I switched the 78 350 in my 71 back to a long water pump that belonged on the engine and went wrecking yarding for a proper pump and brackets to fit. Having a life long friend who owned the wrecking yard that his grandfather sold me parts out of helped a bit.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:09 AM   #24
regan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Did you catch what year and model that the power steering pieces came off?

Look the belts for that model.

Changing pulleys isn't much of a hassle, you just need the right size Allen wrench with a long handle and the right size wrench and the double pulley. Oh and a cheater pipe to put on the long handle Allen wrench.

I'm not going to say that I didn't have a hassle when I switched the 78 350 in my 71 back to a long water pump that belonged on the engine and went wrecking yarding for a proper pump and brackets to fit. Having a life long friend who owned the wrecking yard that his grandfather sold me parts out of helped a bit.
the setup i purchased is a new "Universal fit" similar to the #14 from LMC in the pics above. so its not year "specific"...

single V on both the PS and ALT. changing the ALT to a 2V isnt an option as 1V ALT is at the front position, and the second V on the WP is what assume is for the Single V PS.
Old 12-11-2023, 12:41 PM   #25
1project2many

Quote:
7/8" socket on impact will blast the alternator shaft nut free super quick.

Quote:
the setup i purchased is a new "Universal fit" similar to the #14 from LMC in the pics above. so its not year "specific"...
It's a copy of an OE design. Looks like mid to late '70s to early '80 passenger car. I would guess '82 Malibu if looking for belts.

Quote:
single V on both the PS and ALT. changing the ALT to a 2V isnt an option as 1V ALT is at the front position, and the second V on the WP is what assume is for the Single V PS.
Whoops! Somehow I'd decided you had a two groove WP pulley.

Alt is front.
PS is next.
3rd CS is unused.
Keep watching Ebay and other places. You might find a 2 groove CS pulley.