The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2018, 11:39 PM   #1
Boog
laying low

burning up the country

Man oh man. It seems like the whole west side of the country is burning up. So many homes and businesses gone and some lives lost. God bless all the fire fighters and emergency personnel doing their best to save as much as they can round the clock. They need a lot of rain and cooler temperatures. And it's not even the peak of fire season in Cali yet.
I hope all our western members come through this alright. Is everybody out that way still posting here? Anyone not been heard from lately?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: burning up the country

If you've been following the Carr Fire, you know the losses in the Redding, CA area have been staggering. My son lives there and thank goodness has been safe so far. The western edge has been working our direction but more slowly than the firestorm that exploded into Redding. Crews are doing burn-out operations and it's smokier than usual tonight. So far we have only had an advisory evacuation here and that was rescinded at 12:38 this morning. We've lost power at least a half-dozen times including several hours on each of the past three nights, and lost internet service a few times. Mrs. Stocker's Tacoma is packed except for a few last-minute items, just in case. Keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the best. We are infinitely luckier than so many others who have lost everything.

Pretty sure Steve (a1vintage69) is okay, his house is quite a ways from the fire.

Edit: On a lighter note, check the first short video in this link: https://krcrtv.com/news/shasta-count...ring-live-shot

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 07-31-2018 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Added link to video
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:53 AM   #3
68bowtie

My sister and her family are evacuated. They just moved there, slept one night in their new house before they had to go. Pretty sketchy fire but they are all safe. Sad for the families that have not been so lucky. I have a friend fighting the Ferguson fire. Between the two the whole valley is really smokey.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:31 AM   #4
Richardwa

We have had a lot of fires up here in eastern Washington state too, nothing like Cali is having. Luckily they have been getting them under control fairly quickly. There were 3 new ones just today in Yakima county
1972 Plymouth Roadrunner
1965 Buick Skylark GS
1972 Chevy El Camino
Richardwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Definitely a crazy year. The only one that might come my way is the one at Berryessa. But I should do fine they seem to be getting a handle on it.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
NorCalC20LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
If you've been following the Carr Fire, you know the losses in the Redding, CA area have been staggering. My son lives there and thank goodness has been safe so far. The western edge has been working our direction but more slowly than the firestorm that exploded into Redding. Crews are doing burn-out operations and it's smokier than usual tonight. So far we have only had an advisory evacuation here and that was rescinded at 12:38 this morning. We've lost power at least a half-dozen times including several hours on each of the past three nights, and lost internet service a few times. Mrs. Stocker's Tacoma is packed except for a few last-minute items, just in case. Keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the best. We are infinitely luckier than so many others who have lost everything.

Pretty sure Steve (a1vintage69) is okay, his house is quite a ways from the fire.

Edit: On a lighter note, check the first short video in this link: https://krcrtv.com/news/shasta-count...ring-live-shot
Stocker, are you off the 299? We deal with the lumber mill in Weaverville and cannot get trucks in due to the road being closed. Even smoky/hazy down here in Sacramento from the Carr fire.
NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Man, I'm hoping and praying some rain can hit these areas soon. That's all it takes but it's not up to us.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Wild fires are somewhat rare over here on the east coast. It's difficult for some of us over here to see how it can get so bad so quick and why it happens so often... My wife and I have been up and down the west coast a few times now and it amazes me how dry everything gets in the summer. You can literally toss a match and set an entire forest ablaze. Over here everything is so damn wet and humid it's almost impossible to start a fire. And the WIND, it's like, always windy over there. All those factors, with little to no rain make for a constantly dangerous situation. I don't think I'd trust my neighbors enough to even bbq outside without setting the whole neighborhood on fire.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
68bowtie

We have green foothills from around November to April. Otherwise very dry.

This is all the way down in Fresno today.

Name:  62AA6FBE-AF39-4576-9A20-00271F9CCA52.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  17.7 KB

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalC20LWB View Post
Stocker, are you off the 299? We deal with the lumber mill in Weaverville and cannot get trucks in due to the road being closed. Even smoky/hazy down here in Sacramento from the Carr fire.
Yessir, that's been my hometown since mid-November 1975. I'm hoping 299 opens soon, the closure has inconvenienced the heck out of so many to say the least. As you know, the alternate routes are lengthy & time-consuming, and in general those roads are not suitable for large trucks.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-31-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
Ol Blue K20

I used to camp at "Steel Bridge" when the kids were little. I also went to a few ECV functions in the area. Dumped my bike in Hayfork last year....lol

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-31-2018, 07:49 PM   #12
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
We have green foothills from around November to April. Otherwise very dry.

This is all the way down in Fresno today.

Attachment 1807027

That hazy sky looks familiar even down south where I am. No blue skies.

Since it got so hot, I kind of freak out when I hear sirens. It's so dry and we had a bad one 2 years ago.

God bless those firefighters.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:44 PM   #13
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I used to camp at "Steel Bridge" when the kids were little. I also went to a few ECV functions in the area. Dumped my bike in Hayfork last year....lol
I have fished at Steel Bridge a few times in the past. Haven't fished for years though.
I seem to recall a bike got dumped at the junction of hwy 3 & 36 not long ago.... was that you?
One of my sons took a bad spill years ago on his crotch rocket on 36. He was lucky, he still rides and goes to track days at Thunderhill.

Sorry for the hijack, guys. Back to the fires, we're looking a bit better today but still plenty smoky. Backfire operations continue and Lewiston remains under evacuation orders. Officials are saying it could be a long time before Hwy 299 opens. Still active fire in the area, lots of downed power lines and guardrails lying in the road, plus of course utility crews all over. National guard is in Redding to assist local LE. Sorry to say there has been looting (of course!) but several have been caught and arrested.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-31-2018, 10:36 PM   #14
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I have fished at Steel Bridge a few times in the past. Haven't fished for years though.
I seem to recall a bike got dumped at the junction of hwy 3 & 36 not long ago.... was that you?
One of my sons took a bad spill years ago on his crotch rocket on 36. He was lucky, he still rides and goes to track days at Thunderhill.

Sorry for the hijack, guys. Back to the fires, we're looking a bit better today but still plenty smoky. Backfire operations continue and Lewiston remains under evacuation orders. Officials are saying it could be a long time before Hwy 299 opens. Still active fire in the area, lots of downed power lines and guardrails lying in the road, plus of course utility crews all over. National guard is in Redding to assist local LE. Sorry to say there has been looting (of course!) but several have been caught and arrested.
Nope, that wasn't me. They had resurface the road outside town and my rear slid out on the gravel. No cops and very little damage. Only damage to me was torn pant leg and sore ankle. I sure hope they get a handle on the fire soon. Thats some nice country there.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-31-2018, 11:47 PM   #15
pritch

A fire took off a few miles from me yesterday, but they got it pretty much knocked down overnight. They were lucky it was calm, there's lots of cabins up the one side and lots of million dollar homes up the other.

I live about 8 miles in a straight line from where I'm at thru the smoke. The smoke is about half way:

All this was black this morning when I went to work. I don't think they ever shut the road, but it burned right down to it:

A little bit of context-I found a random picture of the hills behind my place. All the brown is dry grass that burned-oh, 25 years ago or so. Now there's many houses. The ridge coming down from right to left is the same ridge as in my first picture. The fire was just over the ridge about a mile.The town of Wanship is in between. If it would have been as windy as it was all weekend, it probably would have went big:

Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #16
franken

CA burns every year and has forever. Building things that burn in areas that burn is not a great idea.
As I recall, someone was arrested for setting nine fires. That's not helping.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #17
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
As I recall, someone was arrested for setting nine fires. That's not helping.
IIRC there were two different jackass's that did that. One guy went to jail for murder because some firefighters were killed.

The other one was a fireman that wanted overtime. At least that's how I remember it. I could be wrong. I've lost a few brain cells over the years.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #18
dan42

My son is a firefighter for Santa Barbara county. Right now he's on "baby leave" (he and his wife had a little girl last Wednesday) but his phone is still blowing up because they need strike teams. No fires here right now, thank God, but we have had our share over the last couple of years, plus the mudslides in Montecito. When we went over San Marcos pass last Wednesday, they were expecting sundowner winds in Santa Barbara that evening, and they had fire trucks stationed all over the hills in anticipation of a start up. There are millions of dead trees throughout the state from drought and bark beetles, so we are primed for big fires, and it's only August.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #19
'63GENIII

This one chased us out of Stanislaus National Forest last night at 7. Went from 500 to 5,800 acres overnight. We had wheeled and dirt bikes up to the ridge that I took this pic from. They closed the highway right at the entrance to where we camped which was about 6 miles off the highway.

Our cue to leave was the air takers making passes every 20 minutes or so. We hadn't heard a plane for days up to that point.
Attached Images

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #20
Ol Blue K20

The fires are no joke this year. It's been raining ash and a lot smoke in the air here.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 08-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #21
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I'll say one thing, global warming aside, the environment on the west has become a bit interesting. Year before last the covert behind my house ran for two months leaving 3.5' trench deep and wide. We received the most water ever recorded by far. The covert ran some last winter as well. The 15 years before that it barely flowed 2-3 times, less a flash flood in 2014.

Lucky as heck I built a levee/channel in the summer 2016. I did it because of the flash flood in 2014. That and free rocks literally materialized (long story). Had I not built that my place would have been ruined. Water flows like it's supposed to now, down toward the city Supervisor's place............Ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #22
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Unhappy Re: burning up the country

Geez, there's another NorCal wildfire taking off! The Hat Fire is burning near Fall River which is where board member AirSpeed lives.

Hope you're not in any danger and they get it out soon without any serious problems. Stay safe out there!

Edit: AirSpeed, your inbox is full, time to clear out some PMs.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 08-10-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #23
leddzepp

So Cal is on fire too. Here is Lake Elsinore today, not far from where I live.
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #24
leddzepp

Last night
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:48 AM   #25
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Angry Re: burning up the country

Yup, the Holy Fire.... they arrested a guy suspected of starting it. I can't say what I'm thinking right now.

Stay safe, leddzepp.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay