The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
old51sedan

Question Adding Air

My truck is about stripped & ready to head to the paint shop. Thinking seriously of adding Vintage Air & Heat afterwards. Been talking with a vintage air dealer in regards to installing compressor bracket on passenger side of my 292. Waiting for a return phone call from someone who builds their L6 brackets. My other situation is the air vents. I'm thinking I have a few options, but would greatly appreciate any feed back from anyone who has done this.
1. Truck is stripped, glass and all. best time to install an air dash.
2. Cut the holes and install original air ports.
3. I understand you can buy small chrome ones with the vintage air.
Does anyone have an opinion and/or past experience doing this change?
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Bearhawg

Re: Adding Air

Mine is at the shop right now installing the VA surefit and I can give you my feed back when its done. I went with the in dash vents. Mine is a non air truck.
Bearhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
old51sedan

Of course mine is a non air also, I'm just checking my options. Did you pull the heater box and weld up the holes in the firewall first? I would love to see pictures of yours when done and a report also. I take it your having it installed, was there much of a price difference between that and doing it yourself? Please keep us posted. Thanks for the reply also.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
darrellyates

I did exactly what you are talking about doing. I have a non-a/c cab, and wanted it to look factory. I used Vintage Air, and put the factory round vents in the dash along with the center vent above the radio.

My suggestion? Cut the holes for the outlets prior to paint. Also, since the cab is bare, make a metal filler plate and weld it into the firewall. Also, pre-mount your a/c unit in the cab, and have all your holes and mounting pre-figured out prior to paint. Then, you simply install the bolts and bits and you're off... I did mine this way. Will try to post a couple of pictures for you.

Good Luck!!
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
shoveldug

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
I did exactly what you are talking about doing. I have a non-a/c cab, and wanted it to look factory. I used Vintage Air, and put the factory round vents in the dash along with the center vent above the radio.

My suggestion? Cut the holes for the outlets prior to paint. Also, since the cab is bare, make a metal filler plate and weld it into the firewall. Also, pre-mount your a/c unit in the cab, and have all your holes and mounting pre-figured out prior to paint. Then, you simply install the bolts and bits and you're off... I did mine this way. Will try to post a couple of pictures for you.

Good Luck!!
Very sound advice! Did mine the same way other than mounting the unit. If you pre mount the unit you will be certain it fits properly and wont have to drill through your new paint.
shoveldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #6
old51sedan

Beautiful Truck, that sounds like a plan. The only problem is it's about time to go to the shop and I haven't bought the air yet. I'm always doing things back ass wards. I would like to see the pictures though. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
darrellyates

Speaking only from personal experience.... It's less expensive to buy the unit first, and do all the fit up, than to modify and run the risk of having to touch up paint later.... And, I am speaking from experience. That's why I mounted mine and fixed the firewall prior to going to final bodywork and paint. Even if you install everything, vents, radio, the works and take it out for paint and then re-install it later, it will save you grief down the road.

At least it did for me. Here's the firewall during build.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
old51sedan

Thanks for the picture of the firewall. Not only do you have a nice truck, but a nice clean work area also. Love the interior also.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #9
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
Thanks for the picture of the firewall. Not only do you have a nice truck, but a nice clean work area also. Love the interior also.
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, when I built the house, I tried to plan reasonable garage space. My oldest boy and I built all the cabinetry in the garage, and I have way too much of it, but I like it anyway. And, if I knew how much I would use the lifts, I would have had one 30 years ago. They are extremely handy.

Good luck with your truck!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #10
jfnar

I'd be interested to see what kind of compressor bracket you come up with for the 292. I'm going to put AC in my 68 and finding a compressor bracket for the 292 seems to be an obstacle. None of the AC vendors that I've checked with offer one.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #11
old51sedan

I may have found one that sits on the right hand side, working on that as we speak.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
suville

Check this,http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/chevrolet...ve_system.html I am using this setup dont have the air kit yet. Not sure if it clears the HEI was told "its tight " we'll see
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #13
jfnar

I have a compressor and bracket from a mid 80's 250 that I can make work but it's a pancake type compressor. I'm on a tight budget so if I can make something I already own work I'll lean in that direction. Probably won't get to it this summer though. I have my iron in too many fires already.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #14
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

darrellyates, what model of vintage air do you have? Looks great.
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #15
Rufas

a/c
Quote:
My truck is about stripped & ready to head to the paint shop. Thinking seriously of adding Vintage Air & Heat afterwards. Been talking with a vintage air dealer in regards to installing compressor bracket on passenger side of my 292. Waiting for a return phone call from someone who builds their L6 brackets. My other situation is the air vents. I'm thinking I have a few options, but would greatly appreciate any feed back from anyone who has done this.
1. Truck is stripped, glass and all. best time to install an air dash.
2. Cut the holes and install original air ports.
3. I understand you can buy small chrome ones with the vintage air.

Does anyone have an opinion and/or past experience doing this change?
I have those Vintage Air vents in my 67 Cutlass and the Olds A/C factory vents that are similar to the Chevy factory truck vents. The Vintage Air vents look good, but they don't flow air anywhere near the air flow of the factory vents.

350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #16
old51sedan

In a conversation with VA I understand that it comes with two small chrome vents (apprently like yours) and one for above the radio. Thanks for the picture, nice cutlass by the way. I have a 78 Delta Holiday88 with the factory buckets and etc. It's all original with 23,000 miles.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #17
Rufas

Quote:
In a conversation with VA I understand that it comes with two small chrome vents (apprently like yours) and one for above the radio. Thanks for the picture, nice cutlass by the way. I have a 78 Delta Holiday88 with the factory buckets and etc. It's all original with 23,000 miles.
Wow! That's low miles...
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Old 08-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #18
Bird dog

I suggest you cut the dash holes prior to paint. I am just finishing the build now and the pics show where I am today. I bought the stock vents, but ended up using the VA ones instead. I liked the look.

If you have the time, I would also weld up the panel that comes with the kit on the firewall. Thats what I did. I think it cleans it up.
Attached Images

Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #19
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
I suggest you cut the dash holes prior to paint. I am just finishing the build now and the pics show where I am today. I bought the stock vents, but ended up using the VA ones instead. I liked the look.

If you have the time, I would also weld up the panel that comes with the kit on the firewall. Thats what I did. I think it cleans it up.
Very Clean. Nice work!
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Old 08-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #20
old51sedan

Thanks a bunch for the pictures. Are all three of these vents the ones that came with your VA kit? They look nice, especially the one above the radio. The plate you welded on the firewall came with the VA kit? Was there a certain number on this kit? I'm going to send you PM. Thanks, Donn
Old 08-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #21
Bird dog

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the pictures. Are all three of these vents the ones that came with your VA kit? They look nice, especially the one above the radio. The plate you welded on the firewall came with the VA kit? Was there a certain number on this kit? I'm going to send you PM. Thanks, Donn
Yes these are the vents that came with the kit, they almost look stock.
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:47 AM   #22
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 View Post
darrellyates, what model of vintage air do you have? Looks great.
My Vintage Air is model 751170. That is the system for non-a/c trucks. I did add the factory round outlets on each side of the cab, because I wanted it to look like a factory A/C truck. Additionally, I changed the non-a/c controller to an a/c control unit in the dash because I like the dark face on the controller. Personal choice on that part.

Other than that, pretty straight forward installation.

Have a great day!!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #23
57Suburb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfnar View Post
I'd be interested to see what kind of compressor bracket you come up with for the 292. I'm going to put AC in my 68 and finding a compressor bracket for the 292 seems to be an obstacle. None of the AC vendors that I've checked with offer one.
This company in Wisconsin makes an adjustable AC bracket for the L6 that gives clearance for HEI.

https://davisspeedequipment.com/prod...62-84-194-250/

There's this one too from Old Air Group, but has to be small cap distributer.

https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...assengers-side
57Suburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #24
67/Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Suburb View Post
This company in Wisconsin makes an adjustable AC bracket for the L6 that gives clearance for HEI.

https://davisspeedequipment.com/prod...62-84-194-250/

There's this one too from Old Air Group, but has to be small cap distributer.

https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...assengers-side
They make a quality product, I purchased a PS bracket for my 292 from them on ebay.
67/Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #25
Myoldtruck

For those who have done the conversion. Are you happy with the cooling ability of the unit. Im thinking of doing a system for my every day driver, but i want it to work great.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote