The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
Jafo20

56 engine setup

I bought this project with a existing drivetrain. It seems the motor mounts are longer on one side. Anyone know why it's this way? Seems the motor is more to the passenger side of the frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Jafo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: 56 engine setup

your motor has 2 sets of front/side motor mounts, neither are stock
the front set uses some of the stock v8 mounts but not in proper location
on original v8 motor mounts there would have been a bracket riveted to the x-member a 2'' behind where your are mounted
v8 motors of the era did not have the mid-motor boss cast in the block for side mount motor mounts
i couldn't find a stock v8 motor mount picture to post up, maybe someone else has one

55-59 trucks were the first trucks set up for v8 from the factory the motor would have been centered on the x-member
your motor may have been off center to allow for clearance of the steering box with existing manifolds
thou i don't see any steering box

i'll assume that it has never run as is, the motor is too far forward to mount a balancer/pulley
the front mounts only work if you use the stock bellhousing mount
if you change to mid engine mount with the rear trans mount it will work for better for a variety of reasons
unusual pine needle air filter setup

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer

Last edited by _Ogre; 03-06-2018 at 03:12 PM.
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
Jafo20

Thanks... it was in pieces when I got it. Guy said it’s been sitting forever. It came with a camaro steering column. No steering box. I’ll include more pics and maybe you can help me figure out what’s up with this drivetrain. Thanks
Old 03-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
Jafo20

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
your motor has 2 sets of front/side motor mounts, neither are stock
the front set uses some of the stock v8 mounts but not in proper location
on original v8 motor mounts there would have been a bracket riveted to the x-member a 2'' behind where your are mounted
v8 motors of the era did not have the mid-motor boss cast in the block for side mount motor mounts
i couldn't find a stock v8 motor mount picture to post up, maybe someone else has one

55-59 trucks were the first trucks set up for v8 from the factory the motor would have been centered on the x-member
your motor may have been off center to allow for clearance of the steering box with existing manifolds
thou i don't see any steering box

i'll assume that it has never run as is, the motor is too far forward to mount a balancer/pulley
the front mounts only work if you use the stock bellhousing mount
if you change to mid engine mount with the rear trans mount it will work for better for a variety of reasons
unusual pine needle air filter setup
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
Jafo20

More pics
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
dsraven

do you have a plan for what you want the truck to look like and ride like when you are done?
the best thing you can do is start with a plan and stick to it. be realistic about what you have to start with. go through from the front to the rear and find out how solid the cab is. do you have the rest of the body parts?
these old trucks had an issue with debris plugging the side cowl vent drains so the water would build up and run out onto the floor through the kick panel side vents. this causes the floor to rot out as well as the side cowls, hinge pillars, front lower rear fender mounts, steps and front cab mounts. they also have an issue with rust around the eyebrow above the windshield and around the roof drip rail and, of course, the lower rear cab corners. start by checking out these spots to look for soft spots or missing sheet metal. you already have a SBC to use for mock up but if you want a fuel injected system an LS engine could be had if you buy a wreck, complete, so you get the engine, trans, computer, seats, etc etc. scrap some of the wreck parts to support you habit if possible.
if you check the suppliers you will see there are lots of replacement panels readily available. they don't make replacement stuff for nothing so by checking the parts places web sites you will quickly see where most of the issues are with this body style.
post up some more pics when you find time. try to include a few interior pics and possibly some pics of the rest of your parts pile. guys on here will love to help you choose a direction and give hints and encouragement along the way. there are lots of builds on here if you can't decide on a "look" for your new aquisition. if you decide on a power plant and a transmission choice you will get lots of advice on what works and what not to try.
good luck and welcome.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
Jafo20

Thanks..... I wanna make it a simple Hot Rod type truck. Keep it as simple as possible. I have a 327 in the garage I can use. I also have a M21 but probably go auto. Simple is the plan on this truck. I’m gonna pull the body tomorrow and I’ll inspect the rust issues. I appreciate any advise on this project. Thanks