The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
monte0185

Shop Truck Look...

The PO of my truck did a crap Job Prepping my truck so till i have the change to paint it I thought about doing a non rusted shop truck look. I dont care for patina but i was thinking if I primer all the peeling spots and sand them down some and add some door logo's It would be a cheap fix and look decent at the same time. Anybody got any opinions or pics of their Square done this way? Couple pics of my truck for reference.
Attached Images

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
monte0185

Re: Shop Truck Look...

Wow all those views and no comments..

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #3
Matt Man

I think you should flat black the whole truck, then add logos.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Titomars

Well I have a question if the PO did a crap job prepping. Wouldn't all the paint have to come off? If it were mine and I expected to be repainting the entire truck I would strip to at least the original paint that way I know I have a good foundation. Nice rig by the way. Personally I see nothing wrong with it as is. It is a work in progress.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
SkinnyG

Just stay on top of the chips and rust with primer or some sort of paint (use epoxy primer so it isn't porous), and ~use~ it as a truck. The "Shop Truck Look" will come over time. And stop washing it. (grin)
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Man View Post
I think you should flat black the whole truck, then add logos.
I hate hot rod black. lol Everyone and their neighbor has done it. I did think about doing hot rod red flatz though. But mainly the whole truck is red inside and out including engine bay so itll go back red to stay on the cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titomars View Post
Well I have a question if the PO did a crap job prepping. Wouldn't all the paint have to come off? If it were mine and I expected to be repainting the entire truck I would strip to at least the original paint that way I know I have a good foundation. Nice rig by the way. Personally I see nothing wrong with it as is. It is a work in progress.
The paint is flaking everywhere.. Plan is to strip it to metal and redo eventually when money permits. Right now this is just a temporary fix to give it a little bit of character till I have the change to do it right. Here are just a couple places on the bed.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Just stay on top of the chips and rust with primer or some sort of paint (use epoxy primer so it isn't porous), and ~use~ it as a truck. The "Shop Truck Look" will come over time. And stop washing it. (grin)
Its not really usable as a truck.. LMBO!! Its more just to drive around close to gas stations and trailer to the occasional show. Or take to Thursday night test and tune when I get a few thing worked out.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
Titomars

Ahhh nothing beats a RAT in a square! my appreciation for your truck just jumped big time on my Cool O Meter. With the flaking going on. if it was mine i would take a panel at a time and strip it down past that crappy paint job and red oxide primer it. I personally will not run a vehicle of mine in primer spots, panels are ok though. I guess I am just anal. There was too much of the spot action running around when I was young back in the 70's.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
monte0185

Quote:
Ahhh nothing beats a RAT in a square! my appreciation for your truck just jumped big time on my Cool O Meter. With the flaking going on. if it was mine i would take a panel at a time and strip it down past that crappy paint job and red oxide primer it. I personally will not run a vehicle of mine in primer spots, panels are ok though. I guess I am just anal. There was too much of the spot action running around when I was young back in the 70's.
That's my Plan for this winter actually. Just do one panel at a time and then Teach myself to paint again in the process and paint it myself. I'm tired of paying shops to do crap work I know I can do just as good myself!! As far as the rat motor its lots of fun. Still need to take it to the strip to see what I can break. I'm going to need a set of slicks first though cause the 31x18.50x15 M/T Sportsmans that are on it sure wont hook to save your life.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Love this truck. Does it have spacers up front?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #11
Titomars

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
That's my Plan for this winter actually. Just do one panel at a time and then Teach myself to paint again in the process and paint it myself. I'm tired of paying shops to do crap work I know I can do just as good myself!! As far as the rat motor its lots of fun. Still need to take it to the strip to see what I can break. I'm going to need a set of slicks first though cause the 31x18.50x15 M/T Sportsmans that are on it sure wont hook to save your life.
I have been reteaching myself to paint. I have done my own front bumper, roll pan and this weekend I plan to paint my new tail gate. it is a lot easier doing 2 stage paint than single stage acrylic enamel. Is it perfect?, no but it is just about as good as GM in the 70's.
I love my 454. I am just starting to make changes on mine. even basically stock its a lot of fun (cam, intake, and headers). Currently it has one of those lame a$$ RV cams in it. but it will still smoke my T/A's on command. I have a new cam, springs, intake, Holley 780cfm, gear drive, and a few other things ready to put in. I am kinda holding back to see if my Jeep sells so I can get a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads to go with everything else. I know i will need slicks when I hit the 1/4 mile.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #12
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Love this truck. Does it have spacers up front?
No it does not. 15x7's so no need.

Quote:
I have been reteaching myself to paint. I have done my own front bumper, roll pan and this weekend I plan to paint my new tail gate. it is a lot easier doing 2 stage paint than single stage acrylic enamel. Is it perfect?, no but it is just about as good as GM in the 70's.
I love my 454. I am just starting to make changes on mine. even basically stock its a lot of fun (cam, intake, and headers). Currently it has one of those lame a$$ RV cams in it. but it will still smoke my T/A's on command. I have a new cam, springs, intake, Holley 780cfm, gear drive, and a few other things ready to put in. I am kinda holding back to see if my Jeep sells so I can get a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads to go with everything else. I know i will need slicks when I hit the 1/4 mile.
This is a 496 so its got a lot of bells and whistles.. PO did a crap job on everything but the motor/tranny so I'm going back and fixing all their mistakes one at a time. Paint is last on the list. Mechanical is first. Just about got all the mechanical worked out. Next will be wiring. I'm going to redo it all front to back and take out all my heater stuff in the process. No real need for it. It hangs out in the garage all the time so weather is not an issue. lol..

Old 11-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
monte0185

Guess I forgot to post pics of my door logo's. I love them. Buddy of mine hand painted them.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #14
SCOTI

I like the idea of the Red Hot Rod Flatz paint spotted in @ the peeling areas when repaired.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
slotard

When I think shop truck I don't think little spots like that but to each his own. I like the old paint on mine, missing in some areas but fairly consistent (except that my fenders are worse than the rest, I suspect they aren't factory).
Old 11-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I like the idea of the Red Hot Rod Flatz paint spotted in @ the peeling areas when repaired.
If you like the look, this would be a good option. Personally, I would body work a section at a time and paint that panel in epoxy primer. The DP74LF is red oxide which would give the flat look till you can paint it properly.

Even cheap paint is expensive. Why waste time, effort, and materials to do it more than once.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #17
monte0185

Eventually Im going to repaint the whole truck and i know its not the traditional shop truck look but it at least gives it some kind of theme till I can afford to get it painted. Better than just a red and grey spotted funny cow looking truck. If the engine bay wasnt painted to match I considered just repainting the whole truck Hot rod Flatz red.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #18
truckfan

mine. original paint. i like your signs
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #19
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckfan View Post
Looks good!! I like it!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #20
sneakyfast

Ha ha I doubt anyone is going to mistake that beast for a "shop truck" I don't care how you paint it.
sneakyfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #21
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyfast View Post
Ha ha I doubt anyone is going to mistake that beast for a "shop truck" I don't care how you paint it.
At least not after they hear it. LOL

Old 12-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #22
slotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckfan View Post
That's more like what I was thinking.