The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
hogfarm

The Dalles Oregon car show

Headed down to car show today,but during the cruse last night,guy did a burn-out that did not turn out good.3 people on the side walk were hurt
Attached Images

hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: The Dalles Oregon car show

What a shame.....if you gonna be dumb you better be tuff....hope the bystanders are ok...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
nvrdone

how in the world did he do that !!!???
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
joedoh

it looks at first glance like one of those tri-five "shorties" that guys make by cutting the whole rear door section out of a 4 door, but I know its just the angle of the picture foreshortening the car coupled with the roof damage.

big tires = big hookup!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
paintman

This is the kind of crap that will end this hobby for all of us. And then we complain and wonder why the state governments make it so hard now to register hot rods and such. Plus the fact we have to fight off the enviro wackos.

I wonder who the insurance company is for this idiot. Grundy or Haggety maybe? I wonder what they think about this.

We have so much working against us already and yet we have a-holes like this guy go out and help shot ourselves in the foot!

Sorry just had to vent.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:10 AM   #6
mr48chev

With what looks like a stock 55 suspension in front and a blower motor and huge tires on the back that one was probably a bit squirrely. That cruise night seems to draw guys from a wide area with high horsepower rigs who like to show off or have a bad case of hold my beer and watch this.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:26 AM   #7
MiraclePieCo

The driver has been arrested and charged with assault. From The Dalles Chronicle:

Updated with charges to driver

Two people were hospitalized Friday night at the conclusion of the Neon Cruise when a car doing a burnout lost control, ran into a parked SUV, flipped onto its top and caught fire, witnesses said.

The Dalles Police Sgt. Josh Jones said at the scene at Second and Washington that the driver of the car was “potentially facing serious charges.”

He said the driver was taken to the hospital to be checked out. Witness Diego Santiago, 23, of The Dalles, said he saw Jones administering what appeared to be sobriety tests to the driver.

Ronald Leroy Madorin, 53, was arrested Friday night on a charge of second-degree assault. The charge means to intentionally, recklessly or knowingly cause serious injury to someone.

Jones said the passenger in the vehicle was taken to the hospital, as was the bystander who was hit by the parked car. He said at least one bystander was hit by the parked SUV.

Witness Mike Waine, of Maupin, said he saw the “hot rod” when it was “in the middle of the intersection. You could hear him break his tires loose, do a burnout.”

A burnout is when a car stays stationary while its wheels spin, causing the wheels to smoke.

Waine and his two young daughters had just been in the area where the parked SUV was shoved into about two minutes before the crash, but they had left so the girls could go dancing to the live music in the JC Penney parking lot.

He said the car “flipped, caught fire, exploded.” He said a fire extinguisher in another classic car was quickly pulled out and the fire was extinguished in about 30 seconds.

He said, “I watched that car pull his front tires off the ground twice in the last hour before the crash.”

Hailey Felker, 10, was just leaving the area when pandemonium erupted. She said a man running toward the crash knocked her over and she got a scrape on her left elbow. He continued toward the incident, she said.

While she was maybe 20 feet away from the crash, her cousin was “just 10 feet away from it and if they wouldn’t have moved they would’ve got hit, but they moved just in time.”

A woman with Felker said the bystander who was hit was briefly trapped.

Santiago said, “I just hope the gentleman that was just standing there that had nothing to do with it other than spectating is alright because he’s the one in the worst position because he actually got ran over by the vehicle and got pinned against the ground. And once they pulled him out they rolled him into the rocks and now he’s just laying there waiting for paramedics to pull him out.”

Santiago said he was “kind of in shock” at witnessing the scene. “Definitely gets your blood pumping. I’ve seen this stuff on TV and all over the place and you never think you’re going to be caught in it until it happens.”
Old 08-14-2018, 12:40 AM   #8
fourspeedwagon

Yikes. Heard it on the radio this morning but they said “1965” Chevy. Saw this pic and for a moment I thought “another one?!” Then I realized that the local morning radio isn’t exactly famous for nailing all the details..
Above is correct- this sort of squirrellyness in public reflects poorly on us all
“People are shocked when they find out I’m not a good electrician”
Dad told me “Son, never strike a man in anger- unless you’re certain you can get away with it”
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #9
farmall

I cant believe there are no more pics of this on the net. It does look shortened.
89 GMC Jimmy Stock https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810958
71 LT1 Convertible, 72 Coupe
69 CJ5, 75 CJ6, 67 M715, 72 M35A2 Bobbed, 95 XLC2
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:55 AM   #10
DransportGarage

Here are a couple of links to news reports / short videos:

http://www.kptv.com/story/38867540/o...river-arrested

https://katu.com/news/local/5-injure...-in-the-dalles
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)

Last edited by DransportGarage; 08-14-2018 at 05:00 AM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #11
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
it looks at first glance like one of those tri-five "shorties" that guys make by cutting the whole rear door section out of a 4 door, but I know its just the angle of the picture foreshortening the car coupled with the roof damage.

big tires = big hookup!
That is not the angle of the photo, that IS what that car is, a shortened 55.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #12
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
This is the kind of crap that will end this hobby for all of us. And then we complain and wonder why the state governments make it so hard now to register hot rods and such. Plus the fact we have to fight off the enviro wackos.

I wonder who the insurance company is for this idiot. Grundy or Haggety maybe? I wonder what they think about this.

We have so much working against us already and yet we have a-holes like this guy go out and help shot ourselves in the foot!

Sorry just had to vent.
Yep, MORON for sure! We have the right to vent, seeing this stuff ticks me off.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #13
mr48chev

A bit of snooping showed that the guy lived about 65 miles away on the other side of Mt Hood or that was his last residence.

The trouble with cruise nights is that they tend to draw guys missing a few brain cells who like to show off their horsepower rather just pose and cruise. They also bring out spectators who like to egg on such activity and that stretch of street was most likely lined with folks in lawn chairs 20 minutes earlier.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #14
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post

Sorry just had to vent.
Paintman, you and I feel the same. Years ago a friend told me he had his 41 willys at a cruise night and they were watering the streets for burnouts. he did one and one tire hooked up and he yanked to one side and headed right for a group of people. Fortunately, he was able to stop in time. Yes, burnouts used to be impressive, but please, you don't need to impress anyone with a burnout. If your truck looks good enough for the owner its good enough for me.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:17 AM   #15
hogfarm

One bystander still in hospital
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #16
mr48chev

I'd think that might cause some issues for the outfit that puts on the annual Goldendale burn out contest in the middle of town but they could probably fix that by setting out Johnson barriers down the sides of the street before the contest that morning and picking them up after.
That's the town between Hogfarm and me that the local brigade has a reasonably well regulated burnout contest in the middle of town. They have done it for a number of years