The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
62 Barnfind

Fuel Gauge not working

I did a rear tank conversion on my 62 during the second rebuild. I thought it was working right until I ran out of gas one night. I was told that the gauge was a 30 OHM not a 90 so I ordered and installed the 30 OHM gauge. No luck with the proper reading. It sits right below the half mark and moves a little when the power is on. It has power to the gauage, the sender is grounded and I have a new wire running up to the fuse box. What am I missing?
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513

Last edited by 62 Barnfind; 04-23-2017 at 07:32 PM.
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
damnyankee36

Re: Fuel Gauge not working

I thought all rear tank conversions had the newer 90 ohm sender. Do you know what you have?
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
lumpy63

Re: Fuel Gauge not working

If you are using your original gas gauge the sender must be matched to that year GM gauge. Not a big fan of a lot of aftermarket senders, Even after closely following the directions on tank depth, arm length etc. I have always found the OEM GM parts to work better than than the aftermarket stuff. To the point of having my original senders rebuilt by my local speedo gauge shop.I realize that doesn't work with a rear tank conversion. What I usually do is , do the calculations for the sender, make the adjustments to the sender, ground the sender body to the chassis , hook up the the wire to the sender from the gauge,and with the ign. on ….operate the sender by hand ,from empty to full.please don't have raw gas in the area. You should be able to get a good Idea of the gauge reading . Don't be surprised if its not right on even after closely following the instructions.
lumpy63 is offline   Reply With Quote