The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
mchyphy

Side exit exhaust with bedside toolbox?

When I eventually get my exhaust done, I'd like to do a side exit before the rear tires. But my 72 Cheyenne has the bedside toolbox, so I'd think I'd run into trouble with melting the plastic of the toolbox. Has anyone else done this? Would I be able to use some heat insulation or something? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Side exit exhaust with bedside toolbox?

You going to dump the exhaust outside the frame where the box is?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:01 PM   #3
jocko

it's a good question - and, personally, I would not do it. I'd either run the exhaust straight out the back or out the stock location behind the rear wheels at an angle. If you go around the box and try to exit in front of the wheels, you'll induce a sharp angle in the pipe and that's not a smart thing for an exhaust system (I don't mean kinking it, I just mean a 90 bend, even mandrel bent). If you go under the box, then that would be the highest risk of making it hot/melting it - and it would be too low, should be above the frame rail lower edge as much as possible until the downturn for exit. Sometimes the easiest solution is the best - avoid the problem in the first place. CAN it be done - yes. Will it smoke the box, who knows - but it isn't an optimum layout. Oh, and since we're talkin exhaust options - I'd avoid just dumping it in front of the axle. If you don't have a cap on the bed, might not be a huge deal, but I do know a guy who accidentally killed his hunting dogs that were hanging out in the back of the truck inside a topper with the truck idling for a bit too long (CO poisoning - because beds aren't sealed against exh fumes by any stretch of the imagination).
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 07-26-2016 at 11:06 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:28 AM   #4
toolboxchev

You could always fabricate some type of heat shield, I have heard of people making one for a starter from an old license plate.

C!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

It should be fine. The pipe isn't that hot and you will be spaced off enough to allow an air gap. And yes, you could make a heat shield very easily. I installed auxiliary air bags on a leaf spring truck and the exhaust runs within an inch of the bag. They provided a piece of tin that is spaced slightly off the pipe

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote