The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2018, 02:32 AM   #1
tow rig

3/4 ton LWB needs front discs and a 2.5 - 3" drop.

I have a 1970 GMC C2500 Pickup with leaf spring rear suspension. I am trying to find the best way to add disc brakes and drop the front 2.5"+. My critical parameters on this project are:

1) I don't want to push the front wheels out 3/4" per side.
2) I want to retain 8 lug wheels all of the way around, and the ability to use the truck for serious work and towing. (This vehicle will tow my 23 foot boat - heavy load and substantial tongue weight.)

One problem is - that any combination of factory parts will change the track width significantly. Trying to find a set of 8 lug wheels that look at home on a 2 wheel drive truck is difficult enough without dealing with offset issues.

Another problem is that the only modular (maintain drum brake front track width) drop spindles for the 3/4 ton - seem to be designed to convert the front end to 5 or six lug wheels. The press-in axle on the spindle will not fit an 8 lug disc.

Is there a way to get everything that I want? Can I press out the 5/6 lug axles (from the spindle,) and machine a set of 8 lug disc axles to press into the resulting hole? Are 8 lug disc brake axles available for purchase? Do factory 8 lug disc brake spindles have press-in axles? Can I just take a pair of 5 or 6 lug discs and redrill them for 8 lug studs? Is there a control arm based solution available?
If anybody has experience with this combo, an opinion, or an idea that hasn't occurred to me, please point me in the right direction.
tow rig is offline   Reply With Quote