The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Thetuneman

83 pickup 305

Want to change out oil pump om my 83 custom Chevy 305. Do I need to undo the motor mounts and raise motor to get the pan off in order change it out? Or can I get the pan off without raising the motor?
Thetuneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
SSC's76
No No

you should be able to slide it out with out having to loosen the motor mounts. its a very tight fit on a 2wd but the pan will come out. if you have 4x4 then its a piece of cake

Posted from 67-72chevytrucks.com App for Android
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: 83 pickup 305

Welcome to the site.
Why do you need to replace the oil pump? They are practically fail proof. If your oil pressure is low, change the sending unit. Over time they do get clogged inside. Poor grounding can also cause poor readings. The sensor should have nothing on the threads. The block should be grounded the frame rail or battery.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Thetuneman

Just thought I would, because I'm changing out timing gear and chain , water pump and balancer. Balancer was bad, "wobbling".
The truck sat for a few years, had some leaks. When I took it apart , the chain was really loose. Just thought I would do preventive maintenence on it while I was at it.
Oil pressure gauge is mechanical now as is temp. Runs about 5-10 lbs at idle, and 30 at highway speed. Was going to put a performance oil pump on it to get better pressure. Maybe I really don't need it.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
kalbert

Nah.. I'd say it's alot of work for nothing probably. 5-10 at idle is typical for an older motor, 30 at speed is just fine. A performance pump may or may not improve that. Although if you're going to have the pan off anyway to get the front cover off it isn't that much more work to stick another pump on too.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Low oil pressure is almost always due to the bearing clearances, but it wouldn't be unheard of for an oil pump to go bad.

Plus if you add a high volume oil pump to a worn engine you have the potential pump up all the oil to the top if you lose a quart of oil or if your oil return drains are a touch clogged.

I would do the gaskets, and chain then drive it while it lasts. From what I read, and desk top trouble shooting is like tossing it against the wall till something sticks.

So I would save for a newer motor or grab one to rebuild out of pick a part. That way you can detail the whole thing before it goes in, and upgrade it at the same time. Complete vortec 350's go for $300 complete at the pick a parts where I live, and it'll be a worth while upgrade. Or if your lucking find a wrecked truck, and pull the head to see the ring wear. The a refresh or just gaskets maybe all she needs.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Thetuneman

OK! Thanks! Really didn't want to pull the pan anyway. Took the front cover off easily without loosening the pan , but I'm sure I'll fight it some going back on.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
kalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetuneman View Post
OK! Thanks! Really didn't want to pull the pan anyway. Took the front cover off easily without loosening the pan , but I'm sure I'll fight it some going back on.
You probably won't get the cover on without loosening the pan, it will be insanely difficult to get the gasket and everything stuffed in without. I did manage to get one back on without, but it leaked a steady stream of oil so it had to come apart anyway.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Good work on saving the 305. Mine blew up due to a failed timing chain gear. The failure broke the cam in half. Great 305. Overheated twice. Once to 280! Fixed the coolant leak, changed the oil and ran it until it blew up. Now my truck has a ZZ4.