The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
chicklin

What's the deal with lowering trucks?

What's the obsession with making these trucks into low riders? Where does that fad come from? I don't have a problem with guys doing whatever they want to their trucks or anything, I just don't see what the point is. When I came across this site, I never expected to see the majority of the threads with pictures of lowered trucks. Can someone enlighten this Missouri redneck?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: What's the deal with lowering trucks?

Well I think it’s just a matter of personal taste, and people gravitate to others that share their basic interest, which on this site is a Chevy truck. We seem to have all kinds of builds, but mostly modified and low. Being from California I can’t help but like things low and mean, but I respect anybody who restores, modify, or rods a classic car or truck. I know the work and headache and heartaches that go into it. I think we have the coolest site of all because most of us are here to help and encourage no matter what kind or truck you are building. I don’t find too many people especially in the 47-59 forum who are as rude and opinionated as you will find on other sites. Most of us have become internet pals who keep each other motivated and are happy when others accomplish their goals. Read Cal 58 GMC build page and check the encouragement, well wishes, and happiness when he made the cover of magazine and was in a calendar. See the disappointment when someone has to sell their project. Check out how we try to help when others have questions. I have been to sites that would not like what I’m doing to my truck because I like billet, and they don’t. I still like a lot of their rides, and can learn from them, I just learn from them and move on. Then there are sites that are for stock people.
So my point is, it does not matter what kind of truck you are building, we are all willing to help, and we love pics.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Well I think it’s just a matter of personal taste, and people gravitate to others that share their basic interest, which on this site is a Chevy truck. We seem to have all kinds of builds, but mostly modified and low. Being from California I can’t help but like things low and mean, but I respect anybody who restores, modify, or rods a classic car or truck. I know the work and headache and heartaches that go into it. I think we have the coolest site of all because most of us are here to help and encourage no matter what kind or truck you are building. I don’t find too many people especially in the 47-59 forum who are as rude and opinionated as you will find on other sites. Most of us have become internet pals who keep each other motivated and are happy when others accomplish their goals. Read Cal 58 GMC build page and check the encouragement, well wishes, and happiness when he made the cover of magazine and was in a calendar. See the disappointment when someone has to sell their project. Check out how we try to help when others have questions. I have been to sites that would not like what I’m doing to my truck because I like billet, and they don’t. I still like a lot of their rides, and can learn from them, I just learn from them and move on. Then there are sites that are for stock people.
So my point is, it does not matter what kind of truck you are building, we are all willing to help, and we love pics.
Absolutely agree and I didn't mean to imply that I was criticizing the site. It seems like a great community and I've already gotten some help. I was just surprised about the number of "low-rider" trucks. I had no idea that was such a big trend with classic Chevy's.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

chicklin, first off glad to have you apart of the board, especially from a fellow Missourian.

Here's a link to a similar thread that recently went through the 67-72 part of the board. It merely comes down to personal preference, a sign of the times, tradition for some,... If we all drove the same styled vehicle a drive anywhere would be rather boring.

I hope this provides a little more insight as to why people lower, raise, leave their trucks stock,...

Sidenote, be sure to make it to the Midwest All Truck Nat's in Riverside, MO on Sept 11-13. It is a great event, but most of all several of the board members get together and share stories, look at trucks and in general have a great time. It will also provide a diverse selection of members rides in that some are lowered, stock, lifted, and everything else in between.

Glad to have you aboard!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
chicklin

Interesting thread. I guess my question is more like "where did this style come from?". That thread mentioned something about when the servicemen came back from WWII. How did this get started?

Maybe it's somewhat a regional deal. To me (and probably many in the midwest), a truck was made to work first, then play. And by play, I mean off-road. I get leaving it stock, I get lifting it (some, not the ridiculous 12-ft. tall abortions), but I just don't get what the point of lowering it is.

Again, I'm not criticizing it. It's your truck, do whatever you want. I'm just trying to understand how this got started in the first place.

p.s. - I live in the KC area, up North, close to Riverside. It's nice having 3 of the biggest classic parts dealers in the world within a 30-minute drive
Old 05-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Kim57

Chicklin
Just because a truck is lowered doesn't make it a low rider.
A lot of guys are going the hot rod route and some are doing a pro touring theme.
My DD is a 94 GMC Sierra that is bone stock.
I'm doing a pro street theme on the 57 I'm building so it will be lower than stock.
A lot of these trucks don't see service as trucks any longer so it really doesn't matter how they're set up.
Kim
Old 05-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Just because a truck is lowered doesn't make it a low rider.
There you go, I didn't know that. What's the difference?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
GRIMSS

For me I grew up loving muscle cars that sat down to the ground. First car was a ’68 camaro. Just was not able to haul anything with it. So got at 2wd Chevy and wanted the car ride and stance with the truck uses. So down it went, if I had a 4wd it would be lifted. I have owned zero stock vehicles. They have all been modified.

My DD is this, and I work the hell out of it. Plus I show it.

1968 Camaro
1968 Volksrod "NOBACK"

55-59 one piece window Video
55-59 one piece window template files
Jared
Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklin View Post
Absolutely agree and I didn't mean to imply that I was criticizing the site. It seems like a great community and I've already gotten some help. I was just surprised about the number of "low-rider" trucks. I had no idea that was such a big trend with classic Chevy's.
It not really a trend, people have been lowering trucks forever. I know on the west coast the first thing my older brothers did was drop it with GM Clip and that was in the 70's.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
It not really a trend, people have been lowering trucks forever. I know on the west coast the first thing my older brothers did was drop it with GM Clip and that was in the 70's.
So, what got it started? I get the whole lifting thing. People wanted to put bigger tires, get more clearance for off-roading, etc. But what was the original purpose of lowering a car or truck?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
GRIMSS

Quote:
So, what got it started? I get the whole lifting thing. People wanted to put bigger tires, get more clearance for off-roading, etc. But what was the original purpose of lowering a car or truck?
Broken springs is what probably what got it started.
1968 Camaro
1968 Volksrod "NOBACK"

55-59 one piece window Video
55-59 one piece window template files
Jared
Old 05-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
Daniel U

From a performance stand point, your vehichle has less body roll if the center of gravity is lower. When my wife decided on her 2WD '99 Chevy Tahoe, the 1st thing she wanted was big silly 22" wheels. I was happy that she wanted to customize it but told her that meant upgrading the brakes and suspension. We put 13" rotors from Baer and dropped it 2 inches in the front with springs and added front and rear sway bars from Hotchkis. I would get sea sick driving in it after years of driving a lower, stiff riding Camaro. So there is a performance angle. Not to mention it adds a theft prevention feature if you can "lay frame".
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe

Last edited by Daniel U; 05-20-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
jjjmm56

I think with the invent of IFS , air suspensions and disk brakes ,trucks are more streetable, better and easier to drive not to mention safer for todays roads. Also people that go thru the rebuilding of these trucks do not intend to use them for everyday hauling plus they look bad a$$.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #14
kulturekat

i think mainly its about filling gaps where the factory and designers lacked in the designing when they made them. trucks were made for work horses as opposed to what they are used for looks mainly today ya know what i mean.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=402562

1955 ford f-100
1968 ford mustang
1966 ford mustang
Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
Kim57

Quote:
There you go, I didn't know that. What's the difference?
A low rider will typically have smaller thinner tires and is used mainly for cruising.
A pro touring/pro street/hot rod will have wider tires and is set up more for performance.
This is a low rider

This is a hot rod

Kim
Old 05-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
OrrieG

Not everyone is going down, I raised mine! see pic at left
Old 05-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #17
Atomsplitter

I always thought the lowered look originated with the salt flat racers the servicemen built and drove after WW2 and it spilled over to street cars because it looked mean and fast ...even sitting still.

BTW- Mine is lower due to the fact that I have the MII IFS. Thats a 3" drop off the start but it's NOT going any lower, getting chopped or riding on 20's....I'll install my windshield visor and paint it flat black to match the truck.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #18
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
I found this on a website for you its also an interesting read.

"How it All Began- Custom Car History–

Ordinary vehicles have always been changed in order to look to look a little more unique, but there was another type of car customizing in the 50's that sprouted a whole new generation of Hot-Rodders! Hot rods were made to run faster and look extremely unique on the exterior with different paint designs, modified and relocated fenders, running boards, and more. The roomy interiors had their modifications too!

The goal of creating a custom car was to make the vehicle unique by modifying or replacing the engine and or transmission, adding personal touches to the interior, and of course adding some flare to the paint all while having fun!. That is where customizing came into play with hot rods. Builders for hot rods would usually lower the suspension of the car with the rear a little higher giving it a "mean" race car stance, some builders replaced solid, straight axles with independent axles, threw on some Chrome wheels with big Whitewall tires, and more! Even the steering was modified to help with the handling of the tremendous sized cars of the 50's, and 60's. "

Here is the link to the site
http://www.yourcustomcar.com/custom-car-history.html

Last edited by Kabwe; 05-20-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I have had trucks lifted, and lowered, but never left one stock. It's all about the look for me.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 05-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #20
av8tr33337

I've had a few ppl scratch their heads and suggest I re-think going with a 1980 C10 front suspension on my 1951 AD. Track width to wide, will sit to high etc. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't being criticised, just gently nudged. I appreciate the imput as we can all glean a lot from each other. For me it's all about the money, (I ain't got none). I would love to go with a Mustang II kit for $1500.00+ and keep my track width in the ballpark as well as making it smooth and safe. I could also keep the original front supension and do a disk break conversion. But I want the better handling and performance of IFS. I'm a layed off aircraft worker from Wichita Kansas, and I'm just trying to get it dependable, comfortable and safe . It's going to be an eveyday driver and work truck. I guess the bottom line is I can't afford to build my dream truck, but it's what works for me. We all have different tastes, like and dislikes. There are all kinds of factors that figure into a build, and cost is one of em. Whatever you build, if your happy with it, that's all that matters.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #21
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Well it's time to RANT!
In the 50/60s auto mfrs. designers designed their cars to please the public. Each brand was different and we all waited breathlessly for the new models to appear in the fall each year. Back then it was a big deal to do body customizing on your rod. I always wondered why anyone would think they could improve on what some $500.00 a day design engineer had created.
Today with the EPA cafe standards cars are designed on a computer and they all look alike.
Personally I don't like the low rider look therefore my truck is only 2" lower than stock.
I wonder if with all this EPA insanity we may be forbidden to drive or even crank our old rods someday.
My 2 cents...

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20

Last edited by BIG CHEVY 3600; 05-20-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #22
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Not everyone is going down, I raised mine! see pic at left
See, to me, that looks bad a$$. Better than stock, really. I guess it's all just preference. If the lowered style came from hot rodders looking for better performance, I'm cool with that. But if it's just because it looks "bling-bling", count me out.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #23
kulturekat

not everyone does it for the bling bling factor. i lowered mine just to where the gaps between the tires and the bottom of the fender well are missing and im running stock wheels. its all about the stance. not to show off.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=402562

1955 ford f-100
1968 ford mustang
1966 ford mustang
Old 05-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #24
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Well I like bling, but not bling,bling.lol
It would be a really boring car show, or cruise night if we all like the same things. I like walking around seeing different things.

Last edited by Kabwe; 05-21-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #25
MrTucker

Quote:
But if it's just because it looks "bling-bling", count me out.
seriously? you wouldn't mod a car/truck just to make it look good? I doubt that.

I get the function over beauty debate, but fact is MANY MANY people like the LOOK of a lowered truck...it usually has nothing to do with performance.

As far as "who started it and when and why?" well, as Stacey David says nearly every episode - "guys were modding and cutting and chopping and modifying cars the day after they were invented."

Guys polished their old steam buggies to make them look nice. Then their neighbor did it to out shine theirs and so it began. Then someone took the fenders off a '32 Ford and that started a whole different scene. Then somebody figured out if you take off the exhaust it runs better and sounds better. Then they figured out how to tune exhaust and make it run and sound good. Then someone put 17" wheels on, then someone put on 18's to beat the other guy....now you have 30's rolling around.

20 years from now you'll see tricked out Electric cars. When I was 10 years old I added custom wheels to my Huffy. Hell, even the Flintstone's had a custom ride...

Last edited by MrTucker; 05-21-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Closed Thread