The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
Iceburgh

Parabolic springs????

I got a rear spring kit from TCI for my '53 burb. There are only 2 springs. The kit one my truck a few years ago had 5.

Not sure what a parobolic spring is or how it works. Looks like it will get ride height where I want it with Jo lowering blocks....but will it handle the weight with people in the back seat and a cooler or two and a tank of gas?
Iceburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
Custom 68

Re: Parabolic springs????

Parabolic leaf springs are a tapered leaf spring. What that means if you look at the center of the spring it will be thicker than the ends. A standard spring will be made of flat leafs an stacked to get the same effect (sortof) the theory is that the springs will have even stress on them the entire length.
Now that is in a nutshell what they are if yours don't match that then I don't know what they are referencing to. The parabolic springs are a more expensive spring to make by alot it takes special tooling to do it I guess I would be surprised if they are indeed a parabolic spring leaf.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Iceburgh

not sure this is what the website has to say:
Introducing The Total Cost Involved Engineering New American Made 1937 - 1953 Chevy truck rear parabolic leaf spring suspension kit. This TCI Engineering product provides your vehicle with strength, durability, proven quality greater flexibility, 28% weight savings, better fuel mileage with less vehicle weight, and this suspension will not rob your classic truck of performance. This leaf design is characterized by fewer leafs whose thickness varies from center to ends following a parabolic curve. In this leaf design, inter-leaf friction is unwanted, and therefore there is only contact between the springs at the ends and at the center where the axle is connected. The characteristic of parabolic springs is better ride quality and not being as "stiff" as conventional "multi-leaf springs". For more information please review information below.
Iceburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Custom 68

sounds like that is what they are making. sounds like a good swap.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote