The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Explain auxilary battery purpose to me

So I have a C30 ex motor home that has the auxiliary battery. Can you explain how its wired into the system and what exactly is the use. When you use the electrically powered devices in a motor home my guess is they feed off the extra battery some how. Thanks for any insights on how this system works.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #2
flashed

Re: Explain auxilary battery purpose to me

Im interested in this one .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #3
Getter-Done

CG
My Grandpa's truck which is long gone was wired like that.
It was a 71 Custom camper/20.
He had a in the bed camper the we would load in the bed and go to Gatlinburg TN
Here is the 2 pics I have of the truck.
Name:  gt1..jpg
Views: 763
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  gt3..jpg
Views: 759
Size:  52.7 KB
The two 12 volt battery's are wired parallel which keeps the system running on 12 volts and are wired so the Alternator will charge both battery's.
The one battery is isolated so that only power is drain from it to use the lights or whatever else in the camper part of the truck.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:07 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Explain auxilary battery purpose to me

Simply put.

The main battery which I call the normal battery is for cranking the truck and running the normal stuff in a regular truck.

The second battery runs all the camper electrical stuff normally.

Now if you have it hooked up like it's suppose to be you can charge them both while the motor is running are if you need to you can use either one to crank the truck are vise versa.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
jocko

What they said. Here's some additional info:
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:38 PM   #6
Coley

Great post Jocko....very interesting and helpful!
I've always like the idea of having the secondary battery system...even in my 1/2 ton, which I use to pull a small travel trailer from time to time.
Not that I have a dual battery set up....but I'd like one.
In the meantime, I've mounted a second battery in the trailer and isolated it...but it doesn't get charged during driving...at least not yet.

all good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:37 AM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Since I don't have one, but based on the information above, the auxiliary battery would be a deep drain version. They aren't good for use as a starter battery for an engine, at least more than a few times. I have a pair of deep drain batteries on my travel trailer. They are switched from under the hood so that while dry camping the trailer doesn't discharge the truck battery, but the trailer batteries can be charged while driving the truck. So, if the trailer batteries go dead from over use, the truck battery will start the truck so that we can leave the campground...if we were even in a campground. Sometimes we camp out in the middle of nowhere. I have a portable generator as a backup, in case I forget to flip that switch...

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:04 AM   #8
burnin oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Great post Jocko....very interesting and helpful!
I've always like the idea of having the secondary battery system...even in my 1/2 ton, which I use to pull a small travel trailer from time to time.
Not that I have a dual battery set up....but I'd like one.
In the meantime, I've mounted a second battery in the trailer and isolated it...but it doesn't get charged during driving...at least not yet.

all good
Coley
That is an easy fix. Make sure the truck has a fused power lead to the 7 way trailer connector. Then on the trailer make sure there is a lead from the coresponding connector to the battery. Most RVs are wired this way but the trucks tend not to have the power lead. Some trucks are wired up but missing the fuse unless you have the trailering option on newer vehicles.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #9
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
That is an easy fix. Make sure the truck has a fused power lead to the 7 way trailer connector. Then on the trailer make sure there is a lead from the coresponding connector to the battery. Most RVs are wired this way but the trucks tend not to have the power lead. Some trucks are wired up but missing the fuse unless you have the trailering option on newer vehicles.
And when dry camping I would always unplug the 7 pin just for good measure. You can camp comfortably for a weekend using two deep cycles on a travel trailer, since the fridge runs on propane.

j
Old 01-28-2019, 12:47 AM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Good info. I knew they charged together but was unsure how if they charged together how come they didn’t discharge together.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

The key to this system is a battery "isolator" for directing what is hooked up to what while charging or drawing on the system.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
67chevemall

Great info. I want to find a second tray to hold another battery for my 12000 winch. Pull the trees out to the build site. And pull the truck out when I get it stuck
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:28 PM   #13
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevemall View Post
Great info. I want to find a second tray to hold another battery for my 12000 winch. Pull the trees out to the build site. And pull the truck out when I get it stuck
If you're getting a second battery for your winch, I would just run dual batteries in parallel. Get a couple 700CCA EverStarts from Walmart, wire in parallel and spend your bucks on the cable. I run #4 for power and #2 for ground. Configure to use shortest amount of cabling as possible. Your winch motor is more like a starter motor than any other accessory.

j
Old 01-29-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
If you're getting a second battery for your winch, I would just run dual batteries in parallel. Get a couple 700CCA EverStarts from Walmart, wire in parallel and spend your bucks on the cable. I run #4 for power and #2 for ground. Configure to use shortest amount of cabling as possible. Your winch motor is more like a starter motor than any other accessory.

j

In this case, what charging setup changes are required?

Any pictures?

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #15
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
In this case, what charging setup changes are required?

Any pictures?

-klb
You don't really need any charging changes. Just some wiring finesse. The second battery adds capacity, much needed capacity. I added a 150amp tuff stuff though.

Here's my setup. I wire the alt through a submersible 200amp breaker to the battery pos using #4. I ground the alt to block with a 10 guage, and also ground the alt to the battery with #2. I wire the pos to the winch solenoid with #4. I ground the winch body to the battery with #2 and the small ground as per install instructions back to the solenoid. All the other power wires on the winch running to and fro the solenoid are #4.

I only have one Walmart Everstart 700 CAA, but I am adding a second battery soon, been dragging my feet! I have run the winch a few times with no issues.

j
Old 01-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #16
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
You don't really need any charging changes. Just some wiring finesse. The second battery adds capacity, much needed capacity. I added a 150amp tuff stuff though.

Here's my setup. I wire the alt through a submersible 200amp breaker to the battery pos using #4. I ground the alt to block with a 10 guage, and also ground the alt to the battery with #2. I wire the pos to the winch solenoid with #4. I ground the winch body to the battery with #2 and the small ground as per install instructions back to the solenoid. All the other power wires on the winch running to and fro the solenoid are #4.

I only have one Walmart Everstart 700 CAA, but I am adding a second battery soon, been dragging my feet! I have run the winch a few times with no issues.

j

One other note. If I had an auxiliary setup, I would wire the winch to the starter battey, and have that battery fed from alt.

j
Old 01-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #17
Coley

Does anyone have any pics and references to these factory GM battery 'isolators'?
I think I might have one, but I'm keen to see what the standard/stock ones look like.

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #18
El Dorado Jim

the way the factory isolated the batteries was to use a constant duty solenoid,when the vehicle is running, the solenoid allows the spare battery to be charged , when the key is turned off the camper or trailer is drawing power from the spare battery only. for those of you that want to run a winch, you would only run the winch with the vehicle running anyway so not a need to have a second battery
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:54 AM   #19
Bigdav160

From the schematic above the isolator appears to be just a HD relay. Perhaps the same part as a horn relay.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:24 AM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

This is a thread on my ramp truck aux battery setup. Done the way I like it wired. Newer parts and it works great, I can turn the relay on/off from the cab. All the accessaries are relay feed from the contactor by a dash mounted switch also.
The solenoid is a 12v /400amp unit. I use these all the time in the golf cart's I build to run lights and stuff off the carts pack voltage of 36/48 volts.

The thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780350

My contactor are solenoid which ever you prefer to call it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:47 PM   #21
Bigdav160

Those contactors appear to be a little pricey ~$75. I guess a horn relay would be too light duty. A Ford starter solenoid work?

I need to set something up for my car trailer battery.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #22
100%Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Those contactors appear to be a little pricey ~$75. I guess a horn relay would be too light duty. A Ford starter solenoid work?

My old Warn winch uses 4 ford style solenoids.2 for the forward and 2 for the reverse.They are sized for the load and all ford style are not the same.

And,isolators(for charging batteries) are available aftermarket.I have 1 on each of 2 of my trucks.
One is to charge the batteries on my travel trailer and the other is on my car hauler.They sense the lowest battery and charge that battery only.
A large relay is needed to isolate or switch from one battery to another.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:18 PM   #23
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post

The solid state stuff is more expensive, plus 400amp. I would definitely watch what Andy does, looks like he deals with batteries on the modified golf cart scene. What I was going to add is, I paid a few more bucks and upgraded to solid state for my winch. I hope to never touch it again!

j
Old 01-31-2019, 07:25 PM   #24
Coley

Does anyone have a pic of a stock/factory one mounted in original position?

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 02-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #25
Andy4639
Old member

jeffahart,
thanks, yes I have built many carts using these type contactors, and they get the job done. I have never had one to fail me yet in over 20 years of modifying carts. They are continuous contactors and you can buy them for any voltage you need.

If you want it to be factory correct then you don't have much choice as to what you can use for the parts but if you want it to just work right and last for a long time. Then use the right kind of parts for the job. As far as those Ford solenoids go have you looked at their amp rating?

The short of it is that it takes 8-10 amps to hold the solenoid in place while starting your motor the draw can spike to 30 amps while it is engaging the car starter.
A winch will over load these as soon as it starts winding. 100 amps and higher if the winch has any kind of load on it.

http://www.smittybiltdepot.com/aux_i...7.pdf&line=S/B

Upstate SC GM Truck Club