The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2018, 12:04 AM   #1
Jake1074

Question Jack stands?

What's the best and safest way to jack stand your truck without a lift? Four jack stands on the frame ? Six ?

Jake1074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
Killer Bee

Re: Jack stands?

four stands of appropriate capacity should be sufficient..

I do recommend this style Shop for cross pin jack stands

cross pins are much more secure than ratchet pawl type, especially for rigorous work on the vehicle..

wider stance stands are much more stable for long term work..

they're also available in various heights for taller working positions..

you can stagger you lifting heights from front to rear to work your way up to taller heights if all you have is a floor jack..

keep adding wood blocks to the jack as you incrementally raise the stands or even switch to taller stands if necessary..

good tools like these will last a lifetime.. buy once, cry once

good luck!

Old 01-18-2018, 01:08 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1074 View Post
What's the best and safest way to jack stand your truck without a lift? Four jack stands on the frame ? Six ?

From my experience you pretty well have to start off with four jack stands, two in front and two at the rear. This is because the adjustment for common stands is limited, while the frame is uneven. Then sneak some in the middle someplace after the frame is lifted. Just adjust those, by sliding them front or back until you find a spot.

Be sure to pull the middle jacks out of the way before you lower the truck (gulp!). They're only there for just in case.

Nothing wrong with adding a block or two, and/or added support with floor jacks. If that's an entire truck on jack stands, imagine how it would feel to crash down on you IMO, four jack stands isn't enough.

My frame is bare less an engine and trans. It's currently supported by two stands at the rear, two stands near the front leaf spring mounts. Blocks I made for the engine cross member, an engine hoist and transmission jack............. Getting ready to pull the engine. Before that disaster, the frame was supported by four sets of jack stands...... Better to error on the side of caution.

I'd raise and lower the front and back a little at a time. Last thing you need is a jack stand slipping on you.

Nice stands Killer Bee. In hindsight I'd have picked those up, but I ended up with various sizes of these. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1758_200641758
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-18-2018 at 01:25 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
Jake1074

Thanks for all the great advice - safety must be a top priority.

While I don't plan on pulling the engine / trans, (yet) I do have a good bit of suspension work to do. IE springs and shocks front and rear, ball joints etc. Lots of hammering, pushing and pulling once it warms up a bit.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #5
100%Chevy

Once you have it up in the air where you want it,stand back and shake the crap out of it to see if it will give!
Just saying!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1074 View Post

Or you could just get some wood planks and blocks and get er up in the air..

https://boise.craigslist.org/rvd/d/2...432307260.html
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
Killer Bee

not knocking the wood, but I had to do it

Old 01-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
Once you have it up in the air where you want it,stand back and shake the crap out of it to see if it will give!
Just saying!
Mike.
That’s what I do!
Plus I put my floor jack under the end I’m working on. Slight pressure on the engine cradle or on the rear end.
Wood works too. Three new big tree stumps work good. Two close to the outside on the rear end and one under the engine cradle.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
jeffahart

The weight rating in tons is for the pair of stands. I like ratcheting stands. Get two good pair of stands.

You just need to use common sense. And that includes when you are under the vehicle. For example, would you work with the vehicle jacked up and your head directly under the axle pumpkin? I hope 'NO' is the answer. Just be conscientious of where your body is laying when you start yanking on bolts with big breaker bars or pounding with a double jack!

j
Old 01-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Just saying!
Mike.
This is sound advice. I always advise this when helping someone repair their own vehicle (loaning tools/equipment so they can do it).

One buddy commented "if you shake it hard enough, it will fall". I told him no it won't if done correctly. He jacked his car up to work on it (brakes). He put the jack stands under it. He got out & did the shake test...... It fell off the stands. He called me & was freaked out! I stopped by & went over what he did. He didn't place the stands in a solid/flat spot (put them on a poor section of frame).

Needless to say he was glad I passed the testing idea along. He also just paid me to do the work. He was done w/the idea of getting under a vehicle.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #11
bs46488

Not the best pic, but I use these cribbing stands.

Mine are build with 2x4's and are 12"x14" wide. I have a pair that raises the vehicle 6" and this set raises the car 9".

In this photo I've actually been under the car removing an transmission to convert to a manual trans.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #12
100%Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
Not the best pic, but I use these cribbing stands.

Mine are build with 2x4's and are 12"x14" wide. I have a pair that raises the vehicle 6" and this set raises the car 9".

In this photo I've actually been under the car removing an transmission to convert to a manual trans.

I prefer these to jack stands!

Recent fuel pump replacement on mom's little Mercury she left me.(only Ford I'll ever own!)

Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:50 PM   #13
Jake1074

The cribbing looks great; however I need to have all 4 wheels off so frame jack stands and safety cribbing appears to be the best options.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:37 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

All my jack stands are the professional type with cogged/rachet design which are as safe and strong as any jack stand made. One thing to consider when buying stands is size/bulk. That is the advantage of buying the specific tool for the job compared to building wood cribbing or other means to hold truck up. What you use to hold the truck up has to be out of the way of the work you need to do.

Four jack stands are all you need to safely hold an entire vehicle in the air. Adding more actually takes away some safety, but mostly it's just plan uneccessary. A vehicle frame is strong enough to support the vehicle it is under. It is held off the ground by four contact points when you drive it.

I place the stands where they can "nestle", such as under an axle tube, frame rail, spring eye, etc. If frame isn't straight where stand is needed I look for a place up against something in the direction it would want to slide so there is no place to slide, like up against a spring bracket.

Most important for starters is having the jack stand planted level and stable on the ground before putting any weight on it. I work off of gravel a lot, so being safety minded is extremely important. Ain't no half way nothin'! I slide and dig them in till they sit true to vertical. Just like building a house, any degree of lean from true vertical is the first step toward falling over. Watch out for ground conditions and act accordingly. The ground here can be moist and soft, dry and hard, frozen then thawed and all that can cause movement if conditions change. Be observant. Using a big wide board, like a 12" length of 2 x12 makes a great footing to spread the weight under the jack stand. I also like 3/4" plywood because it won't split. If using jack stands on asphalt it's nice to use the wood to prevent the jack stand from digging into the pavement.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #15
harpo231

Osha tells ya to have wooden block between jack plate and frame

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1516398549
Attached Images

harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:58 PM   #16
Jake1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
Osha tells ya to have wooden block between jack plate and frame

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1516398549
Oh hell no.....
Old 01-19-2018, 11:14 PM   #17
harpo231

Exclamation Re: Jack stands?

Fraid so
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #18
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Just saying!
Mike.
Where is the "LIKE" button here. Always shake em down before you even think about going under.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:07 AM   #19
TBONE1964
Cluster King

While we are on the subject, when you are placing your truck, car, etc on 4 jack stands, make absolutely sure the jack rolls while jacking the vehicle up. Many people do not realize when using a floor jack, it has to roll with the jacking or it will pull the car off. You can test this yourself, place the front of your truck on jack stands in a good safe secure location and then jack the back of the truck up with the jack wheels restricted from rolling (shop rags work great) and proceed to jack the truck up. Watch as the jack motion will begin to pull the truck backward, pulling it off of the front jack stands. I have seen more accidents in shops because of this than any other means of supporting a vehicle in the air.

Most important to use your head and be safe.

Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote