The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #26
roger55

Re: Gas tank relocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ59apacheguy View Post
I'm looking re-locate my gas tank as well, but have one question. What is everyone doing about the metal bed strip mounting bolts? Roger55, I love your idea, but it appears you've actually cut into one of your crossmembers, what have you done about the metal bed strip mounting bolts?
Yes, I cut that one bed cross brace.
You can see here that I welded it to the 2 pipes that are used for the tank mount. Those are standard 1/2" black pipe and are plenty strong so there's no concern there.

I will have to remove the tank when I install the bed wood. No big deal to me. There's still room for mounting bolts but I may have to trim the bolt ends off.

roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #27
57chevyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Word to the wise from someone who has seen it happen. If you do leave the stock filler in place on the cab after moving the tank rather than filling the hole do yourself a favor and cut off the filler neck and weld a plug in it or put a locking cap on it and leave the key at home so no one has access to the filler neck. I had a friend get several gallons of gas run into the cab if his truck because a kid who borrowed the truck decided to fill the tank and yes, stick the nozzle in the filler neck on the cab and had gas running out the door. His tank was easy to see as it sat in the front of the bed with the filler neck sticking up for the world to see but the kid missed that fact.
Excellent point . I did imagine that happening . Probably switching to a locking cap is the best option

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:56 PM   #28
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57chevyman View Post
Excellent point . I did imagine that happening . Probably switching to a locking cap is the best option
I would weld in the patch. If you do consider doing what I did, you will want to cut out the flange for re-use in the rear fender anyway.

Btw, I don't remember who gave the tip to me but it was a good one. Since I was putting in rear cab corners on this truck, the parts I cut off gave me a perfect contour to make a patch from for the patching filler hole.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:03 PM   #29
OrrieG

Here is mine, 19 gallon from Yogies. Because of the fleetside spears the access is low and hose runs relatively flat so I will need to be careful when filling. The tank is designed for step side so cross sill needed modified, I beefed it up with 1" angle on the front side. Door is from a 90's Dodge caravan, chosen for the inside release and matching the curve of the bed side. Release is inside cab, POL had the sending unit with OHM value to match original gauge. Bolts to bottom of frame so I can remove without taking the bed off.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:56 AM   #30
57chevyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
Here is some pic's of Industrial Chassis Inc. in Phoenix AZ. Steve there used a ford tank and filler at the back. If you look at my build I used a Mustang Tank.
just noticed you had to drill a hole in the rear sill for the gas filler..... nice setup you have.
i just got my tanks inc mustang tank.. not sure if i have to do the same to my sill, or if the filler will be just below it?

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #31
Russell Ashley

Not to change the direction of the thread, but for general information, that odd cross member goes in position three which is toward the rear of the spring. It seems to be a common mistake to put it over the axle in position two.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #32
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Not to change the direction of the thread, but for general information, that odd cross member goes in position three which is toward the rear of the spring. It seems to be a common mistake to put it over the axle in position two.
Who's photo are you referring to?
And is that info the same for a long bed too?
Old 01-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #33
Russell Ashley

I wasn't speaking to anyone in particular, just noticed that both of the last couple of pics didn't show that different bed cross member in the number three position. From what I see in the FAM, that odd cross member is only used on short bed trucks where it is positioned above the rear of the spring. Doesn't look like long bed trucks use that different cross member at all. The main reason that I even commented is that I found out after I bought my FAM that my cross members are not in the correct sequence either.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #34
octanejunkie

Some great work in this thread!

Wish I met you guys before I did all this myself years ago.

I posted a thread about my tank relocation here.

I did have my original fuel fill neck in the cab removed, mostly for aesthetics reasons, however with a locking gas cap, this could be converted into a unique stash box location for small items like spare ignition key, house keys, cash, etc.

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #35
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
...however with a locking gas cap, this could be converted into a unique stash box location for small items like spare ignition key, house keys, cash, etc.
Cool idea.
Never thought of that before.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #36
_Ogre

unless the locking cap key is on the same key ring

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #37
roger55

Mistake
Duplicate post.

Last edited by roger55; 02-03-2016 at 10:30 PM.