The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

A word about stress.

Originally I thought I had just more knee troubles due to last years meniscus surgery. Plus the MRI at that time revealed arthritis from over use.

After going through a few tests. My knees while still messed up are not the cause. I will still eventually need a knee replacement due to damage, but just not now.

While I do not know the true problem yet. Pain is still a real problem in my life. All the problems my Dr mentioned list stress in the top 3 of causes. Usually #1.

So for those of you like me who always have to do something or flip through channels, and read because stuff on TV is not relaxing. Or are riddled with ADD. Get frustrated, and aggravated doing relaxing hobbies.

Please learn to be better at relaxing, and don't stress about stressing. Stress related health issues are no fun, and the DR also said I am also priming myself for a future heart attack.

Please try to learn from my painful mistake if you have not learned that lesson already in life.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: A word about stress.

I agree. I had a heart attack in 2007. I carried a lot of stress due to the job. Within a few weeks I went back to doing everything I always had and years went by. In late 2019 I recognized myself feeling much like I did back when I had that HA. I was irritable and easily angered. I realized that job was killing me. It was time to get out. The company came up with a lower stress job for me and I felt I was feeling better but then the pandemic happened and my job came to an end in May. So no more job related stress the rest of the year. I don't call myself retired but I am still jobless.
It pays to take a look at your overall health, physical and emotional, from time to time. Make adjustments. Remove yourself from a stressful situation when possible.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

Yes, you have to be aware of stress. men think they're bullet proof when they're young and don't realize the truth about stress. It can manifest itself in some pretty strange ways.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:25 PM   #4
best view

Have not had a tv since 1998 computer went in 2004 have a flip phone and a company tablet ,is something going on if there is I don’t want too know so don’t tell me l don’t need any stress
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #5
67C10Step

My wife used to talk about me to our friends a lot and how I never seemed stressed. The job I had at the time was mainly process/project engineering in primary explosives manufacturing and handling. I'd be running multiple projects in the millions of dollars and she was always amazed I'd be asleep at night in less than five minutes.

She often said she's a school teacher and stresses over everything and I didn't seem to stress over much. I do, but when it's needed. If I cannot change it, I give it the level of concern it deserves and move on. Most worry is our imagination getting the best of us.

Yes, easier said than done sometimes but managing stress to a level where it is a motivator and not a debilitator is usually my goal.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #6
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Stress can manifest itself in different ways. The last year I worked I was under a lot of stress. The skin on my hands and my feet started peeling really badly. I was wound up tighter than a cheap watch.

I finally decided that enough was enough and retired. And it all went away. I figured that you only live once and the way I was doing it was going to kill me and do it fast.

Now I don't watch the news. I don't care.I watch cooking shows and hit the mute button when the dumb commercials come on. Maybe I have the "See no evil" attitude but it works for me. My ailments all cleared up after I walked.

I prefer to keep my head buried in the sand. Heck I don't even know what day it is anymore. Which is fine with me.

By the way. What day is it?

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:27 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Stress comes in many forms. There is the visible kind, "Man that guy was stressed". But there are other forms. Underlying stress is a silent enemy and it has nothing to do with relaxing or acting anxious. There are situations that are stressful no matter how you channel your feelings. There are situations you can't walk away from, that are out of your control, and have to live with. That is what PTSD is all about. But as far as the reactionary stress goes, that is up to the individual to control. You have to find a way to deal with the things that cause stressful reactions. Could be as simple as learning how to say, "Screw it. Just the way it is", when things get their worst.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:36 PM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Could be as simple as learning how to say, "Screw it. Just the way it is", when things get their worst.
That is a lesson I keep failing to learn.

20 years ago I wanted to be a general contractor. Well double pneumonia, and walking pneumonia for roughly 6 months stopped the dream. As I learned I am not the type to walk away from a project with money on the line. Combined with things I had personally going on at the time. I got more done in the preceeding year then anyone could of imagined.

No I am dealing with a different side of the same coin.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:00 PM   #9
LS short box

For me the best stress reliever was spending time with my wife of 42 years and she understanding that my time in the shop was a stress free time for me. My work demanded tons of travel in the US and internationally. She knew when I was home it was a special time for me. It also gave me the chance to have my wife to travel with me. We saw a lot of cool stuff.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:31 PM   #10
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I fully expected to be found dead on my desk at work. My wife asked me to talk to the financial people her parents used. I brought in all my retirement stuff and left it with them. 3 months later we discussed the possibility of retiring. I went into that meeting with an expectation of knowing how many more years I would have to work, but found out that I could retire right then. I waited until my 25th anniversary and punched out. One of the managers asked if I would come back as a consultant. I told him $200 per hour and I work from home...meaning that I had NO interest in doing that job any more. Funny part is, the company makes more money, because the three people they had to put on the work I did alone all provide "wheat tax", which is profit for all the other people who support the engineers.

Stress-wise? I go to sleep when I want, get up when I want (within reason, we got a new dog a little over a year ago, and it's goofy and wakes up at weird hours). I'm still A-type personality enough that I drink coffee to keep from falling asleep after lunch, stuff like that. Life has a limit, and I'm going to make sure that I get what I want to do gets done, even if it takes coffee to make it happen.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #11
dave6672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
If I cannot change it, I give it the level of concern it deserves and move on. Most worry is our imagination getting the best of us.
I like this.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #12
dave6672

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I prefer to keep my head buried in the sand. Heck I don't even know what day it is anymore. Which is fine with me.
Me too. I call it my "bubble of ignorance".

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #13
Rich84

I have been running my own business for 30 years. Stress is on the menu every day. I have learned over the years to not spend a lot of time worrying about what might happen in a given situation. Most of the time it doesn't happen and you just wasted a lot of time.

Having said that, I want to retire someday and I don't want to go through another recession. The last one set me back 10 years. I can't control it. So I just keep marching forward.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #14
TwoFiftyShifter

I am currently in a low stress job. Its my favorite part about it.

Control what you can control.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #15
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Been in business for myself since 1995 and at one point had a crew of 25. Super stressful all the time. around 2014 I moved back home and downsized to just 2 employees and myself. Seemed the stress was still there. Always worried if the work was going to come in fast enough to pay the bills, the guys and still have some left over for me. Covid lock downs changed all of that and I kinda wish it had happened years back. Last March I laid off both guys and told them if they could find other employment to do so as I had no idea what the future was going to entail and was tired of being stressed about it. Since then I have worked totally by myself and I think I had the most profitable year I have had in a long time. All of that with as little stress as I can remember. I am at the point I no longer have to work 7 days a week to make sure everyone else gets paid. I now only have to worry about my family and if I don't feel like taking on a job, I don't have to. I just turned 51 and a year or so ago I felt like I was going to have a heart attack every single day. It has been hard reprogramming myself to slow down "and smell the roses" but I do feel a lot less stressed. Now if I could just lose the extra 60lbs
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:31 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
Been in business for myself since 1995 and at one point had a crew of 25. Super stressful all the time. around 2014 I moved back home and downsized to just 2 employees and myself. Seemed the stress was still there. Always worried if the work was going to come in fast enough to pay the bills, the guys and still have some left over for me. Covid lock downs changed all of that and I kinda wish it had happened years back. Last March I laid off both guys and told them if they could find other employment to do so as I had no idea what the future was going to entail and was tired of being stressed about it. Since then I have worked totally by myself and I think I had the most profitable year I have had in a long time. All of that with as little stress as I can remember. I am at the point I no longer have to work 7 days a week to make sure everyone else gets paid. I now only have to worry about my family and if I don't feel like taking on a job, I don't have to. I just turned 51 and a year or so ago I felt like I was going to have a heart attack every single day. It has been hard reprogramming myself to slow down "and smell the roses" but I do feel a lot less stressed. Now if I could just lose the extra 60lbs
There ya go! I dunno about the 60lb thing. No cake and ice cream for you?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:44 PM   #17
Low Elco

The last year and a half have been very stressful, occasionally to the point where I can't turn fight or flight off. It was telling when my 21 year old looked me in the face and said "I can't remember the last time I saw you have fun." I'm getting some things lined up for this year that should get better and get me out of the loop. I hope so. Got a couple more hurdles to clear, we'll see. Can't go back.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #18
Boog
laying low

It is all too easy to keep ones head down and keep marching, working hard and doing all you can and not look up. The old saying "stop and smell the roses" is really a good one. We all need to stop and take a moment here and there. We get into a groove and out of habit we just keep going on. Never making time for ourselves and in some cases not taking more time with our children and family members. I'm guilty of all that. I don't like thinking about all the good times I missed or my family missed while I was working because I felt I had too for the good of our family.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #19
Rich84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
It is all too easy to keep ones head down and keep marching, working hard and doing all you can and not look up. The old saying "stop and smell the roses" is really a good one. We all need to stop and take a moment here and there. We get into a groove and out of habit we just keep going on. Never making time for ourselves and in some cases not taking more time with our children and family members. I'm guilty of all that. I don't like thinking about all the good times I missed or my family missed while I was working because I felt I had too for the good of our family.
Well said..and I couldn't agree more.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #20
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Time in my shop tinkering around with whatever is the best stress reliver for me. Im 53 and a little ADD/ADHD although not clinically diagnosed, but my 4th grade teacher called me the absent minded professor. Well that sums it up for me. I use to get frustrated when things were going my way, now I say ___ it..

Like what TwoFiftyShifter said "Control what you can control."

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote