The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2021, 10:15 PM   #26
nikwho

Re: 350 Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
Never said there was anything wrong with a 383 been there and done that myself. I'm saying a 350 with a good set of heads is better than a 383 with 882s or even camel humps. If you got the money for the machine work and good aluminum heads go for the 383 by all means. Just don't forget we are talking about a kid and his first motor build though.
I still would start with a roller block. Why put all the money and effort into a motor with a flat tappet cam when you can have a hydraulic roller for another hundred bucks.
Well, it is his child, who may be an affluent adult. You are asserting that it is a kid. I respect your opinion, regarding how you would build the engine, but I would personally approach it a little differently. If on a tight budget, I personally would invest as much as I could afford in building a super stout short block, with new Scat/Eagle/etc. rotating assembly, solid machine work and ARP bolts/studs, even if it meant poor performance, due to short term use of poor quality heads. I could then get that engine installed and driving, then later upgrade the heads.

I do agree with what you are saying about a factory roller block having some added value. I meant to just say that I would not write off a good buildable gen 1 block.

Nik
Old 01-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #27
Myself

With the oils these days, the extra additives needed during break-in and oil changes, and the old school lobe profiles, I would definately go roller cam on any new build. Either retro fit on the old blocks or find a newer block. I really lucked out.....my next 350 build will be for my wife's '68 C10. I bought a '97 Chevy 1 ton work van with only 140,000 miles for $400!! After fussing with it for about an hour I got it running and drove it home! Since it's a HD ton truck it has a 4 bolt main, roller cam, Vortec 5.7 with a nodular crank and powdered rods. It's gonna be a beast in the old '68! I'll probably even buy a TCU and run the 4L80e it came with.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:40 AM   #28
garyd1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwho View Post
Well, it is his child, who may be an affluent adult. You are asserting that it is a kid. I respect your opinion, regarding how you would build the engine, but I would personally approach it a little differently. If on a tight budget, I personally would invest as much as I could afford in building a super stout short block, with new Scat/Eagle/etc. rotating assembly, solid machine work and ARP bolts/studs, even if it meant poor performance, due to short term use of poor quality heads. I could then get that engine installed and driving, then later upgrade the heads.

I do agree with what you are saying about a factory roller block having some added value. I meant to just say that I would not write off a good buildable gen 1 block.

Nik
We all have our preferences, I had a 383 with a scat crank eagle rods, flat top pistons, Edelbrock E-Tec 200 heads, .548 roller cam, RPM intake, MSD ignition, Holley 830 carb, it was awesome but I soon got tired of it. Sold it to a cousin and got a L31-R crate motor and have been really happy with it. I guess I may just be getting old, lol. I did keep the headers and MSD ignition off the 383 since they were already installed on my truck.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote