The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2018, 11:53 PM   #1
bpope

Air Ride Install

Hello, I posted this question in the suspension forum to no avail. But my question is about whether or not to cup the LCA's with a drop spindle. My truck has Western Chassis spindles, which I assume are 2.5" lowering spindles. I was concerned whether or not this would be low enough with just bags. Well, I got the bags bolted on and jacked the LCA as far as it would go and it really doesn't seem low enough. I don't really get it as seeing pics of other trucks with the same setup, they seem way lower. I have a pic of another truck (Malibobs) that has the exact same setup as mine - but mine doesn't look near that low. Would it get lower with the weight of the truck on it? Doesn't seem like it would. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The lower cup mount that came with the kit is 1-7/8" tall (BC Fab Kit). I would want it to ride at the height of my pics attached...not when it is aired out. Bags are Dominator 2600's. I have 1-1/2" before the top of the tire hits the inner fender well (as it is pictured here - have not put the truck on the ground yet, just jacked up the LCA as far as it would go.) Tires are 215/75/15.
Attached Images

Last edited by bpope; 06-28-2018 at 02:07 AM. Reason: More pics
bpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
'65 chevy lover

Re: Air Ride Install

I don't have any experience with air bag suspension, but I would think that the truck will sit lower when it's sitting on the ground and the weight of the motor will help compress the suspension.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
joedoh

there is a point when the bag is squished and wont go any lower. on most double convoluted bags that is around 3", if you have 3" between the upper mount and lower mount, thats it.

this is important, because you want the bag to squish to that fully compressed height right when the truck is "laid out". if there is any extra space, you will use more air to lift and your max lift will be less.

in your case, it looks like the bag is squished before the truck is laid out. if you have extra space when the cup is shortened, then that will let the truck go down a little more. some guys will cut the top of the lower arm and plate it to give more room for the bag, if it rubs in the coil pocket.

if you are just doing it with a floor jack though, I would say put it on the ground before doing anything else. it could very well be that your front crossmember will hit the ground before the bag squishes all the way. they hang down quite a bit on these trucks.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
jhrusk

You will probably need to cup them to get it to set lower. I assume you will be clearancing the inner fenders or removing them. 1 1/2 of clearance may not be enough to drive with. I have done this in my thread but I also sectioned my crossmember to raise it up in the chassis soom.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
Bentbolt

the flattest the dominator 2600 bag will go is 2.8" compressed. look at the upper ball joint that can be bound up also. looks like steering link/ tierod is about to hit the frame. truck weight on you tires will lower your truck too.
Bentbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
bpope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentbolt View Post
the flattest the dominator 2600 bag will go is 2.8" compressed. look at the upper ball joint that can be bound up also. looks like steering link/ tierod is about to hit the frame
I will measure how tall that bag is now. From the pic it looks more than 3". Silly question, but how would I tell if the upper ball joint is binding? I've lowered about 6 vehicles, but this is my first airride install, so I'm a little in the dark on some of this. All good info guys...thank you very much for chiming in.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
Bentbolt

if the ball joint is all the way to the side it cant move any more. if you "pie cut" your upper a arm is will free up the ball joint to.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
bpope

Quote:
if the ball joint is all the way to the side it cant move any more. if you "pie cut" your upper a arm is will free up the ball joint to.
OK thanks. If I did cup the LCA's and have the bag sit down into them - would that would also help alleviate upper ball joint binding?
Old 06-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #9
Bentbolt

bpope it should mine are cupped and the arm almost touches my cross member and the bag is fully aired out.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
bpope

Do you run a drop spindle as well? Any pics of your truck aired out?
Old 06-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
Bentbolt

I'm running a 2.5 drop spindle. no pics as its a project. cab is gone and the frame is back apart getting painted
Old 06-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #12
bpope

Quote:
I'm running a 2.5 drop spindle. no pics as its a project. cab is gone and the frame is back apart getting painted
Gotcha. I did find another pic that shows the upper ball joint better. PS - my mom grew up in Centerville, IA about an hour south of where you are.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #13
Bentbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpope View Post
PS - my mom grew up in Centerville, IA about an hour south of where you are.
I know where that is but I would tell any one you know anyone from there jk. good luck you need more help let me know.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #14
bpope

Quote:
I know where that is but I would tell any one you know anyone from there jk. good luck you need more help let me know.
haha! Yeah, it's been many years since she lived there. I appreciate the help. I guess it's probably too hard to tell from the pic if it's binding up?
Old 06-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #15
bpope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrusk View Post
You will probably need to cup them to get it to set lower. I assume you will be clearancing the inner fenders or removing them. 1 1/2 of clearance may not be enough to drive with. I have done this in my thread but I also sectioned my crossmember to raise it up in the chassis soom.
That's what I was afraid of. I wasn't planning on doing anything to the inners...but I might end up doing it. I think best bet is to do like JoeDoh mentioned and get it on the ground and just see how much room there is from the ground and X member or LCA's and just go from there.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:40 PM   #16
forestb

You might also want to try taking the bag completely out and seeing if it gets any lower. if it does than you know it is the bag and not something binding up.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #17
bpope

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
You might also want to try taking the bag completely out and seeing if it gets any lower. if it does than you know it is the bag and not something binding up.
Thats a good idea too. I didnt think of that.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #18
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

It will go lower without the bag in there.

The lower arm will rest on the frame.

Another option would be to sink the bag up into the crossmemeber.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #19
bpope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
It will go lower without the bag in there.

The lower arm will rest on the frame.

Another option would be to sink the bag up into the crossmemeber.
Thanks, Chief. Yeah, I took the bag out and this is as low as it will go which is definitely low enough for me. The tire hitting inner fender well won't let it go any lower. I'm dropping the LCA's off this week to get cupped.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #20
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Thanks, Chief. Yeah, I took the bag out and this is as low as it will go which is definitely low enough for me. The tire hitting inner fender well won't let it go any lower. I'm dropping the LCA's off this week to get cupped.
That is going to sit NICE when it's aired out! Are you going to keep the paint how it is? Or is body-work in progress? I love the red/black patina look combo.

My build thread for "Rocket" - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753023
sixty4bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #21
bpope

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4bigwindow View Post
That is going to sit NICE when it's aired out! Are you going to keep the paint how it is? Or is body-work in progress? I love the red/black patina look combo.
Thanks! I think it is going to look good...I just need to get it finished up. It's been so hot here I've been struggling to go in the garage to work on it. I just going to leave the paint as is. Some of it is real patina, some fake - but I like the way it is
Old 07-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #22
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Thanks! I think it is going to look good...I just need to get it finished up. It's been so hot here I've been struggling to go in the garage to work on it. I just going to leave the paint as is. Some of it is real patina, some fake - but I like the way it is
I love it. I am going to do a black/teal color scheme for mine. Black and red was a CLOSE second lol

My build thread for "Rocket" - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753023
sixty4bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #23
bpope

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4bigwindow View Post
I love it. I am going to do a black/teal color scheme for mine. Black and red was a CLOSE second lol
Very nice! I do think a teal and white one would look fantastic too.