The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #1351
82streetshow

Re: 85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
What changed on the end-links? The end of your bar looks like the last one I purchased from them.
Just noticed his was different as well. The bar posted in the pictures of parts on the floor isn't the one that ended up going on the truck, its the same one as I have. Crazy they redesigned the bar already, I have only had this one a month or 2. I installed all the coilovers in the early part of the year but waited on the sway bar due to hoping my old one would work with no such luck. The mounting points for the end links are pushed back and further out on the tubular arms in comparison to the stamp steel.
82streetshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #1352
82streetshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
On trucks lowered 5" in front, I always mount the sway bar to the frame so it's not necessarily an issue if your end link angle is correct. I had used the front hole and drilled the rear hole placing the bar too far forward, creating an end link angle that could have caused failure.

RideTech wants the kit to cover all options so they provide the bushing stands that bolt in the factory holes. This ensures proper end link angle no matter what the ride height is set at.
Not that it's relivent but your sway bar is an earlier style that's been updated in this kit. The end link tabs have been changed on the new version.
Is anything else changed on this kit for the front? Mine sits quite a bit lower than yours, too low in fact. I thought that it was just preload on the coil but Im aleady adjusted at .5 over 0. Anymore and im affraid it will ride like a tank

EDIT: I think i see the issue, the lower arms look like the coilover mounts higher up on yours, making ride height higher

Last edited by 82streetshow; 10-10-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #1353
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82streetshow View Post
Just noticed his was different as well. The bar posted in the pictures of parts on the floor isn't the one that ended up going on the truck, its the same one as I have. Crazy they redesigned the bar already, I have only had this one a month or 2. I installed all the coilovers in the early part of the year but waited on the sway bar due to hoping my old one would work with no such luck. The mounting points for the end links are pushed back and further out on the tubular arms in comparison to the stamp steel.
Yep..... 2 different bars here. This one has the top mounting tab parallel to the bar:
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #1354
SCOTI

This one is @ a 90° angle from the bar:
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #1355
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
What changed on the end-links? The end of your bar looks like the last one I purchased from them.
Scot the end link is the same, its the bar thats different. The new style bar is larger, but lighter. Your pics show the end link difference.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 10-10-2017 at 12:03 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #1356
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Is anything else changed on this kit for the front? Mine sits quite a bit lower than yours, too low in fact. I thought that it was just preload on the coil but Im aleady adjusted at .5 over 0. Anymore and im affraid it will ride like a tank

EDIT: I think i see the issue, the lower arms look like the coilover mounts higher up on yours, making ride height higher
I believe that's all that's changed in front. The bar that you have has been in production for a while. It's the same one I have on my 77 that was installed a few years back. The one I have is very new. Probably one of the first to ship out.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 10-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #1357
SCOTI

Quote:
Scot the end link is the same, its the bar thats different. The new style bar is larger, but lighter. Your pics show the end link difference.
I'm not describing the actual 'link'. My description is about the mounting tab on the bar itself. The orientation of that tab where the link connects is different between the two bars (size of the bars is diff as well based on your info).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #1358
82streetshow

Quote:
I believe that's all that's changed in front. The bar that you have has been in production for a while. It's the same one I have on my 77 that was installed a few years back. The one I have is very new. Probably one of the first to ship out.
yeah i got clarification on the lower arms, they changed them to kick out the lower mount a bit more to allow for shockwave clearance, should change height or handling much
Old 10-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #1359
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
I'm not describing the actual 'link'. My description is about the mounting tab on the bar itself. The orientation of that tab where the link connects is different between the two bars (size of the bars is diff as well based on your info).
You are correct. Not only is the profile of the bar different, the end link mounting tab is parallel to the bar.
Quote:
yeah i got clarification on the lower arms, they changed them to kick out the lower mount a bit more to allow for shockwave clearance, should change height or handling much
Part of the delay in getting my kit to me was R&D making minor tweaks. I worked with sales and the projects team to provide feedback on my install. There will be more minor changes as full production ramps up. We need to get together and compare notes.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 10-10-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #1360
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I just got back from having the front end aligned. My local mechanic shop is owned by an old school hot rodder so he appreciates modified trucks when done properly. He was so impressed with the suspension he called a couple of buddies to come look at it. He said he had no issues getting it set to proper specs. I only had time for a short test drive, but she feels so much better and the steering wheel is straight again.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 10-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #1361
JohnJ@RideTech

Ok, sorry for the slow response but I think I can help out here.
Ken has a pre-production prototype.
The bar that Ken has is a larger diameter than our previous design. Due to the increase in diameter, the end treatment had to be modified to work on the existing a-arms.
The new bar was designed so that these trucks can be pushed harder through corners, decreasing body roll and improving overall feel and control.
The change in PosiLink (end link) mounting points was solely due to an increase in tube diameter and that is why the MuscleBar is aesthetically different.
I hope that helps clarify things.
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #1362
82streetshow

so if things are going to keep changing, how long should I wait to order the 4 link? The front kit I have is less than a year old and they have already re-designed the arms and discontinued the coil overs, and the sway bar is a couple months old and has been redeisgned and none of these parts even have any miles on them yet just been sitting on the lift with the rearend out waiting on the 4 link.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #1363
JohnJ@RideTech

Quote:
so if things are going to keep changing, how long should I wait to order the 4 link? The front kit I have is less than a year old and they have already re-designed the arms and discontinued the coil overs, and the sway bar is a couple months old and has been redeisgned and none of these parts even have any miles on them yet just been sitting on the lift with the rearend out waiting on the 4 link.
The 4-Link is good to go and your front end components are more than adequate. You shouldn't have any issues at all.
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #1364
82streetshow

Quote:
I just got back from having the front end aligned. My local mechanic shop is owned by an old school hot rodder so he appreciates modified trucks when done properly. He was so impressed with the suspension he called a couple of buddies to come look at it. He said he had no issues getting it set to proper specs. I only had time for a short test drive, but she feels so much better and the steering wheel is straight again.
what shop did it if you dont mind me asking. There is a shop in spring branch that a lot of the resto shops around here I may end up using for mine
Old 10-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #1365
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Ken,... what are you calling proper specs?
Does Ridetech give you some alignment numbers to hit?
I was wondering how much caster this set up gives you.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #1366
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
what shop did it if you dont mind me asking. There is a shop in spring branch that a lot of the resto shops around here I may end up using for mine
I went to Today's Automotive on Skinner and Huffmeister. I have been doing business with Robert for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Ken,... what are you calling proper specs?
Does Ridetech give you some alignment numbers to hit?
I was wondering how much caster this set up gives you.
My request was to go to factory specs. The upper arms have slots with spacers that can be positioned to add more caster if you prefer.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #1367
SCOTI

Quote:
I went to Today's Automotive on Skinner and Huffmeister. I have been doing business with Robert for years.
My request was to go to factory specs. The upper arms have slots with spacers that can be positioned to add more caster if you prefer.
Aftermarket set-up w/coil-overs & using OE specs?? No bueno.....
OE calls for ~ +.5 camber. You wan't ~ -.5 camber minimum. You're not taking any advantage of the upgrades w/OE alignment specs.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #1368
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
OE calls for ~ +.5 camber. You wan't ~ -.5 camber minimum. You're not taking any advantage of the upgrades w/OE alignment specs.
Agreed! Get some caster dialed in, too.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #1369
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #1370
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Quote:
Before I do anything performance oriented I want to get the ride height and shock rebound dialed in. I cant properly do that with a front end thats not aligned. Once I get everything dialed in to my personal preferences, I will consider alternative tuning.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 10-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #1371
SCOTI

Quote:
Before I do anything performance oriented I want to get the ride height and shock rebound dialed in. I cant properly do that with a front end thats not aligned. Once I get everything dialed in to my personal preferences, I will consider alternative tuning.
Agreed. My recommendation is what I set stock but dropped set-ups at as a starting point. Obviously there's no single/one setting so OE specs work but benefit handling much.

But, why would one need a truck to handle anyway
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 PM   #1372
UKNOWME

Quote:
Mine sits quite a bit lower than yours
Id like to see yours. So far I’m not that excited about how low this setup will go.

Quote:
Are you saying they are making their strong arms for shockwaves for 73-87 too?
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #1373
UKNOWME

Look at this famous guy!!!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=guno7FsE4b0
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #1374
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Agreed. My recommendation is what I set stock but dropped set-ups at as a starting point. Obviously there's no single/one setting so OE specs work but benefit handling much. But, why would one need a truck to handle anyway
The guys at RideTech built their shop truck with better handling in mind. They are running 18" wheels with a performance tune. I prefer to let the professionals play with the settings and learn from them. They have a bit more time and a lot more budget for any necessary changes.

My primary focus will be on ride height and over all comfort. The bonus is that it will handle better as well.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 10-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #1375
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
Id like to see yours. So far I’m not that excited about how low this setup will go. Are you saying they are making their strong arms for shockwaves for 73-87 too?
This kit was not designed to go as low as the RideTech air suspension kits. It will go lower than a traditional 5/7 drop but tire height will be a limiting factor. The kit that utilizes the Shockwave in front is no longer available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
That was a nice surprise in last weeks RideTech email.

VIDEO: 1973-1987 C10 Coilover Suspension System
We’re here to make 1973-1987 Chevrolet C10 pickups even more awesome with our new 4-Link based coilover suspension system. CAD engineered and developed on our exclusive test track, our new kit will transform your Square Fender into a legitimate muscle truck with handling and ride quality that will rival many muscle cars. We designed the kit for easy, bolt-on installation with minimal cutting and zero welding required

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"