The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
NJKelly

Torsion box cut out?

Can you tell me if the torsion box has been cut out on my blazer. I was researching The rocker box rocker panel thing and I believe mine have been cut out and will need to be re-installed.
Attached Images

NJKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Torsion box cut out?

Yep, that's been hacked by someone. Without it your Blazer is going to have too much body flex.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
NJKelly

Ugh. It's sitting nice now, no sag. I'll have to put that at the top of the to do list. Took off fiberglass top for the first time since I've owned it and installed the bestop I picked up months ago.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
SeventyOne

wow thats mangled...good luck!
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
1rippen6

I wouldn't take your top off until you get the boxes fixed especially if the doors open and close nice. They won't after you put the soft top on if the boxes aren't there.
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #6
NJKelly

Yeah I'm going to put the fiberglass top back on only driven a few miles without the top on don't want it to get worse and have another problem to solve. Sucks.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:24 PM   #7
simicrintz

Can someone tell me why anyone would cut that out?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #8
NJKelly

I'm guessing they started and did not finish. Maybe they thought they would just put metal there as opposed to replacing the whole box. Your guess is as good as mine I'm curious as to what others will say
Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #9
hemi43

Thankfully the parts to replace everything are readily available and reasonable. It's also a fairly easy fix. Like others have mentioned, make sure your fiberglass top is firmly bolted on before cutting. Good luck !!
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:50 AM   #10
tristan

Mine were completely missing when I bought my Jimmy in 2014. At least it made replacing them fairly straightforward, nothing was in the way.
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:42 AM   #11
stangtjk

I've seen several seemingly nice full restorations on eBay over the past couple years that were missing the rocker boxes. I know they tend to rot out but have no clue why someone wouldn't replace them...

Mine were practically falling out when I got my blazer. I cut a few inches on it and it fell out the bottom of the truck only holding by the support bar and front lip. I raptor lined them inside and out when I reinstalled them.
Attached Images

stangtjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:04 AM   #12
NJKelly

Thanks for the reply
Old 08-13-2018, 11:02 PM   #13
87Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Can someone tell me why anyone would cut that out?
Someone put fuel tanks in mine. I like the idea of the additional capacity, but not the missing structure.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:23 PM   #14
NJKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangtjk View Post
I've seen several seemingly nice full restorations on eBay over the past couple years that were missing the rocker boxes. I know they tend to rot out but have no clue why someone wouldn't replace them...

Mine were practically falling out when I got my blazer. I cut a few inches on it and it fell out the bottom of the truck only holding by the support bar and front lip. I raptor lined them inside and out when I reinstalled them.
Where did you get your replacement ones? Were you happy with the quality?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #15
simicrintz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Skier View Post
Someone put fuel tanks in mine. I like the idea of the additional capacity, but not the missing structure.
Interesting. I am sure that I have done some "strange" stuff to vehicles over the years that I wouldn't do now. At this point in my life I see the value of structure and most likely would not be cutting something like that out!
Old 08-14-2018, 10:51 PM   #16
viking427

Factory frame is only C channel - you could fully box the frame with a welder if you didn't care about factory appearances and needed the extra space below for something ..steps, tanks etc.. the square tube frame will be stiffer/stronger than any support the original tin rocker boxes add anyway.
viking427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #17
NJKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking427 View Post
Factory frame is only C channel - you could fully box the frame with a welder if you didn't care about factory appearances and needed the extra space below for something ..steps, tanks etc.. the square tube frame will be stiffer/stronger than any support the original tin rocker boxes add anyway.
You kind of read my mind. I was wondering if there was some fixes others have done as it will only tend to rust out again. I like the idea of tubular framing nothing gets in it and as you say it's probably stronger in the long run.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #18
stangtjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKelly View Post
Where did you get your replacement ones? Were you happy with the quality?
They came with the blazer when I bought it so I'm not sure where they came from. They fit just fine and were pretty thick.

Boxing in the frame is not a substitute for rocker boxes. You can box the frame in all you want but it won't prevent the body from sagging between the mounts.

Last edited by stangtjk; 08-15-2018 at 10:02 PM.
stangtjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #19
NJKelly

Quote:
They came with the blazer when I bought it so I'm not sure where they came from. They fit just fine and were pretty thick.

Boxing in the frame is not a substitute for rocker boxes. You can box the frame in all you want but it won't pre eye the body from sagging between the mounts.
I miss read what he had written, I thought he was coming up with a replacement for the torsion box itself not boxing of the frame. I guess I'll start a new thread for the best source for torsion boxes, from what I've seen within 20 bucks of each other from one site to the next I really want the more heavy-duty ones like you have. Any chance you can talk to the previous owner and see where he got them?
Old 08-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #20
duke_lbz

I just bought a 72 and after looking at these pictures I believe someone has cut mine out too. How hard is it to install new ones. I'm new to blazers so I have no idea how they go. Also mine has an aftermarket roll cage built into it that goes from front to back so with that would mine still flex if the top was removed?

99 GMC Yukon solid axle swapped
67 Chevy c10 small window swb stepside supercharged ls6
70 Chevy c10 suburban
72 K5 Blazer 4wd
duke_lbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #21
NJKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_lbz View Post
I just bought a 72 and after looking at these pictures I believe someone has cut mine out too. How hard is it to install new ones. I'm new to blazers so I have no idea how they go. Also mine has an aftermarket roll cage built into it that goes from front to back so with that would mine still flex if the top was removed?
Do you have a picture of the underside of your truck as well as the roll bar. I'm not the expert but I'm sure others will chime in asking for that info. I would imagine a roll bar will be very helpful in keeping the body from flexing too much.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #22
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I bought my torsion boxes at GMCPauls.com
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #23
viking427

Quote:
Boxing in the frame is not a substitute for rocker boxes. You can box the frame in all you want but it won't prevent the body from sagging between the mounts.
True. But adding another body mount b/n body and frame to shore up any flex is not difficult for anyone boxing their own frame. I had a blazer once that previous owner did both, adding the extra body mounts just below the front seat. Doors opened perfect, even after years of hard wheelin. Just another option if needed.
viking427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #24
K5 MAX

I think they were rusty and a PO cut em out to hide that fact. Cut them and someone who doesn't know what they're looking at wont know they're missing. Holey metal looks bad to everyone.
K5 MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #25
NJKelly

You may be right