The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
codejitsu

Positives and Negatives of wheel spacers?

Considering using wheel spacers to push my tires away from my tie rod a bit. Is anyone running them and what, if any, are the benefits? I'd like to hear both sides, negative and positive reviews. Thanks folks!
codejitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
hemi43

Re: Positives and Negatives of wheel spacers?

Other than putting your wheels out, everything about them is negative. It puts too much strain on the front end components and drastically changes the original geometry of the suspension. The biggest problem is that it increases your scrub radius which will make you feel every bump in the road. Here in Ontario, wheel spacers are now illegal as of July 1st 2016. Wheel adapters are still legal, but IMHO it will only be a matter of time before these are outlawed too. If you need to resort to using spacers or adapters, then it means that you are running components that are not compatible, and this is just a band-aid to make them work.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
codejitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Other than putting your wheels out, everything about them is negative. It puts too much strain on the front end components and drastically changes the original geometry of the suspension. The biggest problem is that it increases your scrub radius which will make you feel every bump in the road. Here in Ontario, wheel spacers are now illegal as of July 1st 2016. Wheel adapters are still legal, but IMHO it will only be a matter of time before these are outlawed too. If you need to resort to using spacers or adapters, then it means that you are running components that are not compatible, and this is just a band-aid to make them work.
Thanks for that input, I have already decided to just get wheels with a different offset as opposed to spacers, I was somewhat against them anyways, but now I'm fully against it. Definitely scary, I had no idea they were banned in places. I have no issues with the front end just wanted a little more space between things for when I air down my tires for trails. Front axle is completely rebuilt end to end using all ORD and Yukon parts along with a pair of spindles I bought off a board member being the only non brand new part(s), everything fits as it should. Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
jjzepplin

SO you have a 4wd? Definite no-no. You can use spacers to find out what the offset should be on the wheels you are going to buy to make things right...but I would never run them on a ride. I could go on with a list of why but it would be too big and bore you.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
codejitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
SO you have a 4wd? Definite no-no. You can use spacers to find out what the offset should be on the wheels you are going to buy to make things right...but I would never run them on a ride. I could go on with a list of why but it would be too big and bore you.
Yes 4x4. Thanks for the input! Much appreciated, have already purchased new wheels as of this post. Thanks again, guys.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
cleszkie

You need rims with either less backspacing OR rims with a larger diameter to clear the tie rod ends.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:18 PM   #7
codejitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
You need rims with either less backspacing OR rims with a larger diameter to clear the tie rod ends.
Thanks. Yeah, I bought some with a different offset from summit. These ones..
Attached Images