The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
landarts
landarts

Trip to the auto parts store just isn't the same

Went to the local auto parts store today to get a 1/8" compression fitting for the back of the gauge cluster for the oil pressure. I was at the door when they opened and I walked in and was greeted by "How can I help you". I handed him the old fitting and began to tell him what it was for and what it was off of. He had his cell phone in his front shirt pocket on speaker phone talking to his buddy about another project and trying to talk to me at the same time.

After he went to the desk to look up the part instead of walking a few more feet to the organized bin behind the counter that holds all the brass in the shop. He gets a phone call on the auto parts store phone and starts to not only take an order over the phone and then begins pulling parts for the individual on the phone, while the phone in his pocket is still on speaker phone and someone talking on the other line. So at this point I feel like why did I drive down here to try and support the local auto parts store when I had it pulled up on Summit Racing on my cell phone from earlier in the morning.

You guessed it I told the counter guy just forget it I will order online. He gave me a really funny look and and just went on doing what he was doing. Seems that most of the place I go to in person have seemed to have no respect or customer service for the customer that is standing in your store. Got back into the car and ordered the part along with four other items that I intended to purchase from the local store. When I got into work 30 minutes later I was notified on my phone with confirmation and tracking number, parts will be here tomorrow.
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer

Last edited by landarts; 04-10-2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: left something out
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Trip to the auto parts store just isn't the same

I feel with ya brother! Unfortunately this is the M.O. for most of the box chain places.

He most likely would have ordered it online for you! I generally focus on how to outsmart those guys. They think they are the shizbits!

Over, around, under, to the left at 45 degrees until I have their attention.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
scott123

Same here.

Sunday I stopped at our local gas station. I walked in the kid was sitting on a box behind the counter and playing with his phone. He looked up as I stepped to the register. He looked back to his phone and gave me the 'in a minute' signal. He stood up and in the two feet to the register his phone rung and he stopped again to talk on the phone.

I should have bailed.

S
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
outfield

It still cracks me up, just yesterday, asked for brake rotors for the '69 K20 "what size engine?" is the first question.
I need brake parts!
Not engine parts!
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Yeah, it's like that everywhere, unfortunately. Back when I had a job (I'm retired) and somebody was in my office, if the phone rang I wouldn't answer it. I'd let it go to voice mail. When the person asks me why I didn't answer, I said that I consider it rude to take a phone call when someone took the effort to come to my office to talk to me. If it is important, the caller will either leave a message or call back later.

It's annoying to go to someone's office to discuss an important issue and they pick up the phone and jaw-jack for 15 to 20 minutes. I wouldn't do it. I've left stores when people have done that to me, as well.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I went to the Local Auto Parts store yesterday for a new fan belt and power steering belt.

I walked in the door and was greeted with, "Hey Gary, how ya doin'. Still workin' on that old 72 GMC?"

My response, "Hi Chris. Yep, and as a matter of fact I need a fan belt and a power steering pump for it."

As he's lookin' up the part numbers (without me telling him any more info because he knows my truck) I told him I also needed a couple of 90 degree Zerk fittings. He said, "Go on in the back and look in the parts receiving area. We just got some more of those in. Grab what you need." So I do.

Come back out front and he has the belts laying on the counter. I toss 3 Zerks on the counter and he rings me up. As I poured a cup of coffee (free at the counter).

We BS'd for 10 more minutes until another customer came in and I bid my farewell to let him help the next cat.

I always enjoy going to the parts store here in this hick little town. It's not an AutoZone, O'Reiley's, Napa, or any other major chain. It's a local store that's been in business since the 1950's. Sure their prices are a tad higher than the Big Guys... but for the above described experience, I will continue to go back every time I need parts. I feel extremely lucky to have that available to me in this day and age.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #7
Artofdeath

The actions you are talking about are social skills that are lacking in today's society. It's amazing how much it's changed in just a few short years. Makes me sad.

Doh, wait a sec, got to take a call brb...
Artofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
landarts
landarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I went to the Local Auto Parts store yesterday for a new fan belt and power steering belt.

I walked in the door and was greeted with, "Hey Gary, how ya doin'. Still workin' on that old 72 GMC?"

My response, "Hi Chris. Yep, and as a matter of fact I need a fan belt and a power steering pump for it."

As he's lookin' up the part numbers (without me telling him any more info because he knows my truck) I told him I also needed a couple of 90 degree Zerk fittings. He said, "Go on in the back and look in the parts receiving area. We just got some more of those in. Grab what you need." So I do.

Come back out front and he has the belts laying on the counter. I toss 3 Zerks on the counter and he rings me up. As I poured a cup of coffee (free at the counter).

We BS'd for 10 more minutes until another customer came in and I bid my farewell to let him help the next cat.

I always enjoy going to the parts store here in this hick little town. It's not an AutoZone, O'Reiley's, Napa, or any other major chain. It's a local store that's been in business since the 1950's. Sure their prices are a tad higher than the Big Guys... but for the above described experience, I will continue to go back every time I need parts. I feel extremely lucky to have that available to me in this day and age.

Gary
Yes that is the way it used to be. Hold on to the treasure of a place. Yes it is a social skills problem. It is also a problem of how some business are run, kinda hands off and the attention to detail does not matter anymore.
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
Killer Bee

Old 04-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
palallin

To be fair to the kids behind the counter, it's not really their fault that they have to ask for engine type and size. Virtually ALL of the electronic catalogs/parts books/stock lists are designed to go through the same ritual no matter what the part look being sought is. Further, especially the newer the vehicle, it is possible that engine size DOES determine specific, seemingly unconnected parts (Battery size, for example).

But, yeah: it's mighty irritating, a little silly, and something of a put-off to guys who know their stuff.

The pacifier--uh, phone--on the other hand, is enough to drive me out of a store in a classic heartbeat.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #11
68Gold/white

Quote:

Gary
I worked at one of those from 1985-1998. Completely different deal now. The young man or woman could have been making slurpies at the 7-11 across the street, the day before. They got hired because they show up and can navigate a keyboard, not much else.
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #12
jfnar

I went into O'Reilly's a couple years ago and there was a little girl behind the counter that looked to be all of 14 but I guess she was an adult because she worked there full time. I asked for a part for my '57 3800 and she just gave me a blank stare. After a short pause she said "that's too old to be in the computer." I said "Is that a problem? I've bought parts for that truck here before." She said "No, but I'll have to get one of the old guys to help you. They'll have to look it up in a book and I don't know how to use the books." Ever since then I always look for an "old guy" when I need help in any parts store.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #13
Fraud

The parts stores that have knowledgeable staff usually do a tonne of trade business and need to respond in real time or they won't get the call tomorrow, so I'm not terribly upset that my $23 worth of oddball stuff every 6 months isn't their hottest priority, and invariably its worth the wait for the guy who can get the thing you need in 30 seconds once he's off the phone.

Its frustrating that the other stores need to ask a bunch of questions or get a VIN before they can do anything, but they're setup to manage a high volume of oddball $23 requests and this approach probably gets the best results for 80% of customers.. and from their perspective the alternative is a bunch of people coming in to ask for the wrong thing, ultimately buying the wrong thing, and getting upset because "you sold me the wrong thing, you're the parts store, shouldn't you know?"
Fraud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #14
sick472

We have lost an older Federated Auto here that was great when it came to problem solving. The "old guy/gal" did the book thing and compared the new part to the one in my hand and figured out a solution if there was a problem. That's called SERVICE! The young "dude/dudette" nowadays is slave to the computer. If it serves up a deadend, that's called a DEADEND! I settle for the NAPA here in town now which is a close second, but far above the typical pop-up chains. The slight difference in price was worth the service.

I miss those days having an intelligible conversation with the parts guy about the repair of my vehicles.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:12 PM   #15
697498chevy

Went in O'Reillys with the alt off my 1969 C 10 in my hand . Counter guy looked at it and asked if I needed a new starter . I said No , this is an alt . Happy to say I did leave with a new/rebuilt alt . All's well that ends well , I guess .
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #16
Orange67

Not the right generation of truck, but I needed some parts for my dad's 85 Scottsdale K20. Somehow the material the transfercase is made of came into question. As I had just removed the 4 speed trans and hence the transfer case, I knew it was cast iron. The guy behind the counter of this AutoZone said- "bulls!t". After xx years they are all aluminum, and pointed to his mid 90' s Silverado auto 4x4 in the parking lot. I noted the difference in year, and trans, and he literally said I was uneducated. But not that nice. I walked out and went to O'Riley. Unfortunately there are no mom n pop part stores left here in my area. They were either shut down, or worse, bought out by the big chains.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #17
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

I am lucky. My local Advance Auto, even though yes, they do ask "what engine", the people behind the counter are car people. on top of that, when they do get a call in the middle of a counter transaction, yes, they do stop to answer it, but they always say, "I have a customer in front of me, I'll get right back with you". My local Napa can pull parts some parts without looking them up, and most of the counter people are girls. I can go in and say I need an oil filter for my small block Chevy and they rattle off the part number.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #18
hjewell2

Quote:

Gary
Darn straight, that's how it is here, I don't care if it is ten bucks more per part, many times I have taken two styles of the same item not knowing wicth one the customer had never charged me a penny until I come back with the one I didn't use, been like that for 20yrs . Know everybody there including owner on a first name basis. Also If I need a part and running late and not get there in time they have a hiding spot for me to pick up behind the store, now that's small town business,, we need more of it.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #19
dsy1

I usually look up the part I need online and have the part number in hand when I walk in. Then the young parts guy or gal doesn't need to look it up, and I know what the price should be beforehand.
dsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #20
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

The population has become a tad dysfunctional under web, technology, imports etc. Auto Parts is just one.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #21
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy1 View Post
I usually look up the part I need online and have the part number in hand when I walk in. Then the young parts guy or gal doesn't need to look it up, and I know what the price should be beforehand.
Yup. That way, when you go in to pick up a wiper arm for a '70 Chevy truck, they won't tell you it is a "dealer only" part.

I was a parts counterman back in the late '70s; all we had were books, because Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet. Our store was next to a Harley-Davidson dealer. One gnarly old biker came in and asked if we could match up his points. I broke out the ignition catalog, and went through it until I found matching parts. They were the same as 4- and 6-cylinder Chevy points! He got away for a few dollars (a lot in the late '70s, when gas was just approaching 50¢ a gallon) less than the dealership charged; he was mighty happy. He started sending all his friends there for parts.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #22
silverstreak

Back in the day guys at the parts stores weren't there just for a job but enjoyed messing with cars in general. Most had their own hot rods or drag raced on weekends etc.. You could toss a auto trans pan on the counter and ask for a gasket and they would say it's a C4 or turbo 350 then grab one off the shelf without even checking the catalog. It was a simpler time back then. Now think of the thousands of models that have been made since the Chevelle and Nova roamed the streets. Gives me a headache just to think about it. I've gotten to the point of looking up my own parts online before going into the store. I give them the part number and they still ask me the year, make and model. Think it has to do with the warranty and proof of the part being the correct application.
The rudeness however is unexcuseable and unfortunately a sign of the times these days. I grit my teeth and bite my tongue just driving to work in the morning because of how people act. A lot of the guys I work with are on the smart phone all day then hold their hand out for a check at the end of the week.
silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #23
Richard Jensen

Orange67, I would of went home, got the transfer case, brought it back and asked him to come around the counter so he check it out, then as he got within range, I would "allowed" it to slip out of my hand and land on his foot, Then as he was hopping around on one foot I would of said,,,, "Is that cast iron or aluminum?"
Old 04-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #24
scott123

Our Oreilly's have the people from the local store when it finally sold out. They run the commercial counter in the back. Luckily they are car people.

At the front desk it is status quo.

Just for ****s and giggles I went to the counter and asked for a Ford solenoid for a 69 K/10 4X4 with a 383. I think the computer system damn near bogged down.

S
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #25
wpavlis

There is a place in downtown Phoenix that deals mostly to auto mechanics, but anyone can walk in. They are amazing knowledgeable. A friend was building a custom t-bucket. He was cobbling together brakes from multiple vehicles and just brought the parts in and asked what he needed to make it work. They spent 20 minutes picking different parts out and test fitting them with him until they found something that worked. Hard to put a price on that kind of service.
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote