The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
NC_John

No Limit R&P Installation Issue - Help!

I just got my rack and pinion from No Limit Engineering. First off, they've been great. I received it the day after I ordered it and when I realized I forgot to ask for the forum discount they credited it back to me.

I'm having some issues with the bearing mount on the frame rail. I moved my engine mounts back to the rear set of holes. I drilled the forward hole to 7/8" and drilled the mount holes as directed. All good, right?

There isn't enough width on the frame rail for the bearing mount to fit correctly. It sticks out of the frame rail. I don't know how much frame will be left after I hog that hole out to where it needs to be (nothing lined up and I had to file the two mount holes as well).

On the bearing mount itself when I install the bolt the way the instructions say, there is no way the nut is going to fit on there- there isnt enough room between the hole and the welded-on bearing mount. If I flip the bolt the other way around so the nut is above the frame rail, it won't fit either.

So what the heck am I doing wrong? I haven't talked to No Limit yet- I found this issue this evening and don't reckon I'll be able to reach anybody there until Monday. I want to keep moving on this install and don't want to waste the entire weekend with this perceived problem.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
NC_John

Re: No Limit R&P Installation Issue - Help!

Well here is part of the problem. This is the bearing mount that No Limit has on their R&P install thread...

Here in the one I got with my kit.

There is a big difference in the spacing of the outside bolt holes and one side of theirs is ground to allow more frame rail clearance.

Did mine get through QC when it shouldn't have?

Old 09-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Mjminino

MY frame top looks wider than yours. I don't remember grinding anything off of the bearing.
Attached Images

Mjminino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
NC_John

Your frame is definitely wider but yours is a '66, isnt it? Did your bearing mount look more like the one they used or the one i got? They even clearanced theirs for the demo install - I think they put it on a '72. I think mine was fabbed wrong/sloppy. I mean i can't even bolt it down.

I did fab up the rack itself on the crossmember. I had to do a fair bit of clearancing (even had to notch the rack mount plate to clear the lower control shafts) but everything seems to fit ok there. I was relieved to see it clears my hotchkis sway bar (which had to be removed for fitting).

Last edited by NC_John; 09-09-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Mjminino

yeah mine is a 66, should be relatively the same frame. My bearing looks like yours
Old 09-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #6
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjminino View Post
yeah mine is a 66, should be relatively the same frame. My bearing looks like yours
How did you bolt it down? I guess it is hard to see in my pictures but on the "shorter" side I cant even get a nut or the bolt head flat on the base. The bearing mount is too close to the drilled hole Heck, it wont even clear the weld when i slip the nut underneath.

I'll see if I can get a better picture or two this afternoon.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #7
Mjminino

took 2 people. my buddy was up top with the bolt and i was under neath with the bearing and nut. he threaded the bolt into the nut then i held a wrench on it while he tightened it up.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
oldman3

You might try a button head cap screw. The head is smaller and may give the clearance you need...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #9
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
You might try a button head cap screw. The head is smaller and may give the clearance you need...Jim
Maybe if I was trying to custom fit this, but for a standard made to fit application, I think the components supplied in the kit should work. I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can get some help.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #10
Mjminino

Keep us updated
Old 09-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #11
NC_John

And I was broken hearted today to discover it will not work with my hotchkis sway bar. It makes hard contact at a hard to full turn. Sigh.... why is this never easy?

Old 09-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #12
NC_John

Quote:
Keep us updated
I wîll. Everything else fits pretty good and makes for a neat and clean installation. I'll go with the ididit column like you did to optimize the geometry.

I don't evny you guys installing this with the engine and front sheet metal in place. Must have been interesting.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #13
NC_John

Here's a happy pic.

And another.

Here is the sway bar clearance problem. With wheels straight, a little bit of clearance:

And with the wheels turned, contact.

Is a smaller diameter sway bar and option or can I modify this mount (maybe remove a rubber bushing to shorten it) without messing up the effectiveness of the hotchkis or????

Old 09-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #14
Rickysnickers

Would a spacer between the frame and the sway bar mount lower it enough to keep the tie rod from hitting the bar?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #15
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Would a spacer between the frame and the sway bar mount lower it enough to keep the tie rod from hitting the bar?
Yeah, maybe! I actually just emailed hotchkis to see if removing one of the rubber bushings at the control arm side would adversely effect/mess up the handling. Your solution might be better. The bolt is certainly long enough (or can be changed for a longer one. I think removing a rubber bushing might give me more clearance as it is closer to the problem spot but spacing it at the frame maintains the design of the sway bar better. At least I have some options. This is supposed to be my "fun project" but I swear its just one thing after another.

thanks

Old 09-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #16
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Yeah, maybe! I actually just emailed hotchkis to see if removing one of the rubber bushings at the control arm side would adversely effect/mess up the handling. Your solution might be better. The bolt is certainly long enough (or can be changed for a longer one. I think removing a rubber bushing might give me more clearance as it is closer to the problem spot but spacing it at the frame maintains the design of the sway bar better. At least I have some options. This is supposed to be my "fun project" but I swear its just one thing after another.

thanks
You bet! Hopefully you can get it worked out. BTW, I like this, "'This is supposed to be my "fun project" but I swear its just one thing after another.'" I absolutely agree!!!
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:07 PM   #17
oldman3

Maybe I'm not looking at this right, but with the full weight on, engine, rad, sheet metal, etc. wouldn't the front horns be lower, and your lower control arm go up. This still may not give a lot of clearance, but something to think about...Jim

Last edited by oldman3; 09-11-2017 at 09:15 AM.
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:16 AM   #18
andrewmp6

Yeah the lack of the drive train weight should drop that front end down a few inches.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #19
Mjminino

I do agree with what has been said above. put weight on that front end and see if it changes anything. I put my R&P in with the whole front end still on.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #20
NC_John

I'll have to see. The outside of the lower control arm won't move but with the weight of a complete front end and powertrain the lower control arm might be a bit lower at the lower control arm shaft.

Hotchkis said they preferred I space the front mounts down first but acknowledged it won't make much room up where I need it at the control arms. With the sway bar rotated so that it was almost touching the ground there was a negligible increase in clearance. I removed one of the rubber bushings between the sway bar and control arm and it increased the clearance. I can turn the wheels to full lock now but only have enough clearance to fit the thickness of a nickel. I wont be at speed at full lock so it *should* *maybe* be ok. I'll table this for now until i have full weight up front.

So in summary.... it *might* work.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #21
NC_John

Quote:
Keep us updated
Rob at No Limit said he could send me another one but this is how they all look. I need to clearance it on the grinder and have to drill the 7/8" shaft hole bigger to make this work.

Nothing is ever easy on this truck.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #22
robnolimit

Just caught this. OK, here's a tip on the sway bar that may help. 'Down' with the bar is probably not the way to go, not much clearance anyway, don't want to make it worse. Using a standard sway bar link and lifting the bar end above the steering will work, but the bar/link/bushing angles will suffer. To solve that, remove the OE sway bar drop from the chassis, and bolt the bar directly to the bottom of the frame rail. This will lift the chassis mount side of the bar and correct the issue. For the link end, a longer bolt and a small piece of tubing will act as a riser between the bushing sets. We are not huge fans of the OE type sway bar mounting (no link, only bushings) as it is in a bind most of the time during suspension movement. I link allows for free motion of the arms. Hope that helps.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #23
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Just caught this. OK, here's a tip on the sway bar that may help. 'Down' with the bar is probably not the way to go, not much clearance anyway, don't want to make it worse. Using a standard sway bar link and lifting the bar end above the steering will work, but the bar/link/bushing angles will suffer. To solve that, remove the OE sway bar drop from the chassis, and bolt the bar directly to the bottom of the frame rail. This will lift the chassis mount side of the bar and correct the issue. For the link end, a longer bolt and a small piece of tubing will act as a riser between the bushing sets. We are not huge fans of the OE type sway bar mounting (no link, only bushings) as it is in a bind most of the time during suspension movement. I link allows for free motion of the arms. Hope that helps.
Thank you Rob. I will keep that fix handy for when I revisit this. Definitely might be a better way to go.