The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
mikec4193

So how much do you actually drive yours??

Hi Everyone...a follow up to "How long did it take to build yours?"...

Since most of you folks on here seem to be driving your hot rods around...

My goal is a spare vehicle that I can use to tow junk around and or use to move some dirt around...maybe use when my daily driver poops out..

How much do you guys really drive your stuff around??? Sunday driver??? Only to meet up with others (cruise-ins)...occasional drives to work???..or are you a brave soul who drives his stuff everyday???

Just asking out loud....

thanks for any insight...

Mikec
mikec4193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #2
wolffcub

Re: So how much do you actually drive yours??

Every day its not raining. To work, to the market, anywhere i can go. Put 3500km on it so far this summer.

If it aint broke I still try to fix it!
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
_Ogre

rain or shine, anytime there's not salt on the road
26,000 miles in 5 years

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
OrrieG

It was my daily driver, and will be when I get it back on the road so I can restore my 64 Chevelle which is current DD. I put about 6-7 K per year on them. They are insured as primary drivers, as along as I keep one or the other insured as such nothing changes insurance wise. Too many restrictions on them if I insure as a "classic".
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
47 Fasttoys

Every day, rain or shine, tow a boat and camper, 60 miles round trip to work daily, 2 long road trips. This is my daily driver. 18 MPG. Put it on the road in April and now have over 15K miles on it. Still enjoy driving every time I'm behind the wheel.
Rob
PS: need your votes for TOTM contest
Thanks
Old 08-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
1project2many

Not so often now that I have two kids. The cab's too small for four. But before that I was in it every chance I had.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
mr48chev

I've had mine since 1973 and between 1973 and 2003 it was my daily driver all but about six years when it was torn down for rebuilds.

In that period I wore it out three times and went through 4 engines, 6 transmissions, 5 rear ends and a lot of gas and oil. The last engine had 94 K on it when I put it in the truck as a "temporary" engine in Aug of 1988 and the worn out remains of that engine are still in the truck. I probably drove it 125K between 1988 and 2003 as in that period it was my daily driver 90% of the time and got driven in all kinds of weather from 110 degees in the summer to 20 below in the winter on a 35 mile drive to work until I bought a 150$ 79 Cadillac deville that had a heater in it but a bashed up passenger side.

The main reason it never got finished was that I was always driving it. After this rebuild hopefully it won't have to do daily driver duty again but it is going to get some long road trips the first one being to Texas to visit inlaws and go to the Lone Star roundup. After that we will probably hit ten shows or so a year with it but never go back to the 30 or so we hit every year for about 15 years in a row.

Truth is I may have to build a second and milder AD truck just for a daily driver to run around in. I like driving these trucks too much to let one sit.

I've got a friend with a nice but a bit dated modified AD who only takes it to a couple of shows a year and a cruise night or two and who's excuse for not driving it is that he has too much money tied up in it (between 15 and 20 and drives year old 45,000 Silverado instead.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
starterman99

not enough, after all the work and money I feel I can't run to the store or take it out to dinner for fear some idiot will open a door into it or run a shopping cart against the side. One of the first shows I took my truck to, I was talking to a friend and turn around to see some kid climbing up the step over the side of bed to get a look inside while the parent stood there watching.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
mr48chev

That does become a problem startetman99 one reason I seldom took my truck to those down town put on by the local merchants shows.

Truthfully I had more trouble with my dad wanting to put his cowboy boots on my running boards in a one foot on the running board pose if you will when I had the truck painted red with matching running boards. When I went to the store I parked further out and walked further and usually parked so a post was in front of the truck so someone couldn't bump the grill. My son backed into the grill on his way to work one morning after he had towed me home the night before because the truck quit and he didn't look behind him when he backed up. That was after 20 years of guarding that grill with my life.

This time the truck is coming out as a full custom intended to take to indoor and outdoor shows and be driven long and far across the country and I'll just take the same precautions I did before and if it gets a door ding or rock chip it will be earned.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by starterman99 View Post
not enough, after all the work and money I feel I can't run to the store or take it out to dinner for fear some idiot will open a door into it or run a shopping cart against the side. One of the first shows I took my truck to, I was talking to a friend and turn around to see some kid climbing up the step over the side of bed to get a look inside while the parent stood there watching.
I had a friend that restored a 71 LS6 Chevelle with the same issue, was so anxious could not enjoy it. Sold it and bought a 71 clone very good driver and enjoys the heck out of it and gets to see the one he sold at local shows.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:41 AM   #11
Softpatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That does become a problem startetman99 one reason I seldom took my truck to those down town put on by the local merchants shows.

Truthfully I had more trouble with my dad wanting to put his cowboy boots on my running boards in a one foot on the running board pose if you will when I had the truck painted red with matching running boards. When I went to the store I parked further out and walked further and usually parked so a post was in front of the truck so someone couldn't bump the grill. My son backed into the grill on his way to work one morning after he had towed me home the night before because the truck quit and he didn't look behind him when he backed up. That was after 20 years of guarding that grill with my life.

This time the truck is coming out as a full custom intended to take to indoor and outdoor shows and be driven long and far across the country and I'll just take the same precautions I did before and if it gets a door ding or rock chip it will be earned.
This why we can't have nice things.!
My father always wanted to lean/sit on mine with Rivet jeans

I once owned a car the paint was so deep you could not see the bottom kept in in the garage under cover....
only came out to be washed and waxed....

Then one day I was driving down I-5 kicked up a part of a tail pipe off someones beater I got sick over that car had to sell it I sold it and found out the next owner parked it outside in the weather...Uargh...
I do not own cars like that one trying to keep a nice car and drive it is a real struggle
SORRY: back on topic
I'm trying to get my truck roadworthy but life gets in the way
I will drive them daily
It's not a really nice truck ...
But it's my truck and I'm ok if it gets some ding and nicks...
I wont be happy about it but I wont get sick over it .....Sp
yes Two trucks....
some day three truck
(first car was a 54 GMC hydromatic)
some were in the back of my mind I want to be tortured again by a 235 backed hydro

1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:44 AM   #12
msaintg

We put about 7000 miles a year on it. We take it out every chance we can (when it is not raining or over 100 deg.) My wife drives it more than I do. It gets 20+ mpg, but the engine is pushing 190K miles (still running perfect), so we don't drive it daily.

I put an 'average' paint job on it so that I don't have to worry about people climbing on it.
msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #13
mikec4193

Wow

I love it...I am on purpose leaving mine rough...I wanna make it sound and weather tight...even going to be putting seat belts in it...but over all...the "Howard Knapp" truck that I am rebuilding I am making it look just like the old guy Howard Knapp who got me started on this old smelly truck journey truck looked like ....used....

My biggest fear is I wont like it from a drive-ablty standpoint....only time will tell...

thanks again for all the replies...

MikeC
mikec4193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #14
1project2many

Quote:
I had a friend that restored a 71 LS6 Chevelle with the same issue, was so anxious could not enjoy it.
I was that way with the first car I ever restored.. a '79 Monte with Buick 455. I had dreams about things happening. It got stolen, stripped, shot, wrecked, burned, rusted, even flooded in a hurricane. There were so many bad dreams I would realize I was having another bad dream and not even worry. After all, that many bad things can't possibly happen to the same car. Eventually the dreams stopped and I just didn't worry as much.

Currently the '57 has some damage mostly from other people while it was in storage in rented spaces. Somebody had the driver's door open and something red caught the rear of the door while being lowered. Dented the inside of the door, chipped the rear edge of the door, pushed the door out of alignment. Was it an engine on a hoist? Car on the lift next to it being lowered? No one ever fessed up. But someone was nice enough to brush touch the rear edge of the door to try and hide the damage. Hah. RH side has a gouge from a jet ski trailer pushed next to it during another winter. One hubcap got dented but those have since been replaced. The bottom rear of the LH fender has a crinkle. That was my fault as I didn't set up the hoist properly because I was in a hurry to do an oil change. Is it disappointing? Yes. Is it worth anxiety? No. It's a driver, not a museum piece. I spent three years working pretty hard to get it done. If all I do is worry about the truck when I drive it then those three years were a waste of time. Get good insurance and relax.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
ol_skool_chevy

I use to drive it everyday. but no power steering has me parking it more now..time to do a complete rebuild this winter. make it MORE of a driver

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #16
ADchevys

Drive mine every day since 2008. I think last year was its last winter.
ADchevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #17
nvrdone

drive mine every day its not wet out. 327 4 spd / 373's get scarry on wet streets.
bought it in 1973 & for years it was a daily driver / boat tower / all around hauler. then the kids grew up & my wife said build it so you can enjoy it so I did. still not finished but lots of fun to drive. commute to work is 37 miles &lots of smiles. I say drive the wheels off em - that's what they were made for.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:03 AM   #18
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Rain or shine for all my classics and when I don't care about gas mileage lol
Attached Images

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:35 AM   #19
Bangkok Dean

I drive most weekends when the weather is nice, like last Sunday to a classic car event.
Attached Images

Bangkok Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #20
capnduane

I drive mine most every day, yesterday over to Country Folks in La Sierra to meet my daughter and granddaughters for breakfast. Today a Home Depo run.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #21
Old Crow

My wife drove her '54 panel over 5k miles in 6 months before the tranny went south. She's on my butt to get the tranny fixed so she can drive it again.
My old Ford shop truck gets driven 3-4 days a week and when I've got hauling to do on the weekends.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #22
MIKEs50Chevy

I drive mine every chance I get. To the store, cruise ins, car shows and occasionally to work. I can't drive it daily as I have a company car that I'm supposed to drive. Luckily my truck doesn't have a nice paint job, so I'm never worried about it. I wouldn't mind having it painted some day but I certainly don't want to get to the point that I'm freaked out over every person who gets too close to it. :-)

I also never want to be one of these guys who only takes it out when it's a beautiful day and only to put it on a trailer to drive it to a show, etc. No offense to anyone who does this, it's just not my thing.
MIKEs50Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:03 PM   #23
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
rain or shine, anytime there's not salt on the road
26,000 miles in 5 years
i might add ''i've owned truk for over 25 years''
before the rebuild it was my work truck, full off tools and ladders
i've drove it under the gravel chute at the gravel pit many times

i equate not driving any vehicle to ''save it'' to not having sex with your wife/girlfriend
''saving her'' for the next guy

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:57 PM   #24
tj_1970_k20

I drive mine about half of the time. I've put 42,000 miles on it in 8 years.
tj_1970_k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:21 AM   #25
capnduane

My '55 is over at my friends house, I used his lift to remove Muncie 4 speed and clutch for new parts and rebuild. Its been 2 weeks, been waiting for gears from San Antonio, Texas for the trans. They came yesterday, and my bud, a transmission expert, is doing the work. Hopefully will be back on the road next week? Been jonesin for sure! As an aside, learned the trans was a M21, close ratio, built in 1967.
Attached Images