The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2023, 03:21 PM   #26
dsraven

Re: Possible 1951 purchase with pics

there are kits available to install efi on just about anything. it's mostly a programming issue.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:44 PM   #27
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I think this is a very good idea. If someone wants to start a new thread, once complete or close to, I can close it and put it at the top. I can always add more to it if there are more suggestions that come in.
Although we have gotten a bit off topic on this one the basic thread does show that an extra set of eyes help save one from grief later.

This time that particular truck is a pretty decent pile of parts that someone with experience could start with and build a nice truck out of if they could get it for 4 or 5K. It's obviously not the 13 K truck that a new to the hobby guy can buy and jump in and drive though and to my way of thinking any AD truck that you pay 13 K for should be capable of having the buyer load his/her gear in it and take off on a cross country road trip without and issue and not have to have major changes to be drivable. One major change on that one being the dire need of a C notch.

My long time buddy who is now in a nursing home was one of those guys who saw old cars and trucks through rose colored glasses and had a hard time seeing past the flash to see what was actually there. Sometimes I think he took me along to be the designated nitpicker and that brings up the thing that having a buddy with some real experience who is a bit of a nit picker who always finds the bad in things might be handy to have along rather than just the buddy with the rose colored glasses.

Sometimes these truck remind me of my grandmother and her pie recipies to some degree. She was a highly respected pie maker at local functions who's pies were always first sold at a church bake sale and the first gone at the Grange dinner that my grandparents helped with and enlisted my help for a number of years as a helper and dish washer. She didn't hand out her recipies to many as some always didn't follow all of the directions and use the exact ingrediants that she had listed. If you followed directions to the letter you had a great pie but if you cheaped out and bought lower quality ingrediants or substituted you didn't end up with a great pie.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:00 PM   #28
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
Having watched my son LS swap a Camaro I don't know why anyone would put a SBC into their vehicle when they could drop in a good running LS for less money that makes more power and gets better mileage.

A $400 for a copy of HPTuners and some time figuring out the wiring harness compares pretty favorably to trying to sort out a 30+ year old carb and dizzy setup and then paying at the pump every week.

oh yeah, nostalgia. I almost forgot, must be getting old .

I like my 250 6 , but if I wanted power I'd go LS.
I'm tempted to try homebrew EFI for the 250 to see if I can get the gas mileage to suck a little less.
My daily driver is a 98 BMW 528I that I am seriously considering doing an LS swap on. The car needs some work and the engine is getting tired but we really like the car and rebuilding the stock six cylinder is unreal expensive if you have someone do it. The swap kits aren't cheap either but aren't much more than an S10 chassis swap kit.

I've always liked the looks of the 70/71 Camaro split bumper Z 28 but If I built one it would have an LS and overdrive automatic. I might even do a Phantom using a later body with the early style nose. That would call for having six winning numbers in the drawing though. There is a shop out in Nvrdone's hood that could build one up world class if a guy could haul the basic ingrdients in in good shape with a large bucket of cash to go along witt it. They can do AD trucks first rate too.

That said, my 528 is 25 years old. In 1973 when I first put my 48 together to have something to drive to the 1973 NSRA street rod Nationals in Tulsa (we lived in McGregor, Tx then) and my T bucket was too far from being ready it was 25 years old. The newest vehicle on my place is my wife's 02 VW Passat. When a lot of guys say that they are going to get an "old" car to fix up they are thinking a 70's or 80's car that is 40 or 50 years old but that many of us older guys still see as a "late model" If it left the factory with a Carburetor rather than FI it is now and "OLD Car" year wise.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 10-30-2023, 11:09 PM   #29
mick53

I don't have a problem with the LS in everything crowd at all. It's your truck not my kid. But to me an AD needs an I6 with carbs and a straight axle just so it looks stockish. I included a picture of the staff just for fun.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 12:04 AM   #30
mr48chev

I'm a bit partial to the I six myself but If I was bulding a street rod AD truck from scratch I'd go LS or Iron block LS type truck motor with matching trans. I've been impressed with the two (2000 with 5.3 and 2016 with 6.0) chevy trucks my son has had. He and my daughter in law run from Wendle Idaho to here in the Valley on a regular basis with it if they aren't pulling a horse trailer with her Ford F350. It's hard to knock an engine that will go 300K and if you set it up right and drive it right get decent gas mileage in a rig.

As far as the 292 in my truck when it is done the idea is to be able to stand back and watch the know it alls argue if it is a modified 216 or 235 as it will be correct gray paint and lots of polished Finned Cast aluminum. Internally it will just have a cam and lump ports.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:34 PM   #31
mongocanfly
Post Whore

A buddy of mine just showed me a green 49 on fb..it's in h-ville..wants 22k, probably couldnt build one for less..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 07:12 PM   #32
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
A buddy of mine just showed me a green 49 on fb..it's in h-ville..wants 22k, probably couldnt build one for less..
There are plenty of nice trucks in that low 20's price range that you would have a hard time duplicating for the same money unless you have some serious scrounging and bargaining ability. A few years back I saw a guy sell a real nice truck that he had spent quite a bit of money on over about five years including a real nice paint job, nice interior and mag wheels. A couple of my buddys who knew him pretty well said that the reason for selling it was that he had taken it to a few shows and never won a trophy and was totally disappointed with it. I never saw it again after it sold because it left the area. Someone got a bargain because everything on it was first rate top of the line stuff and the paint and interior were done by well respected shops. I think his paint choice and wheel choice probably cost awards because the truck looked like a five or six year build with the hot lick when he started paint and wheels.