The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #26
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Re: Vent Window Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Yeah don't pay that. Your junkyard idea is far better. Original parts that will fit unlike most of the aftermarket junk. You'd think for the prices they want for this stuff, it would at least fit. Also, the brand of new seals you may run into, is precision brand. I would avoid them if possible. There is one other brand out there, that I've never tried. The "Precision" brand is far from precise. They much thicker than stock, and they do not conform to the door without a LOT of working with and heating up. They're durable, and tough, but that' ain't enough imo. They need to fit too.
I'm interested to know what problems the Precision seals has? These have been in the industry since early 2000's and I've yet to hear any issues that need to be addressed with them.

Derek

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #27
JellyBeanDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut View Post
JBD, more than likely they'll be Precision parts. They can be a pain to install, but your old ones had 25 yrs to fit right. If you really want to know, try a phone call.
Thanks. I did call LMC today about an air cleaner snorkel to the core support.

My question I thought was pretty simple

Me: "I want to buy your air snorkel for my 86' C30 but you don't even HAVE this truck in your drop down on the checkout screen."

Them: "we don't have any mechanics here that can tell you if it will fit. You should find a mechanic and ask them."

Me: "What brand are you selling so I can look around for info."
Them: "We source from many manufacturers. We cannot tell you what you will receive"

Me: "Kind of makes it hard to research information when I don't know what you are selling".

Basically no help whatsoever.

For now I'm going to search the junkyard. Need to get that lower pivot re-attached first anyways.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #28
donut

yep, LMC doesn't do bigger trucks. Enough crosses over from the 10 series that they are not completely worthless. You just have to figure out what will work.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #29
JellyBeanDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Parts View Post
I'm interested to know what problems the Precision seals has? These have been in the industry since early 2000's and I've yet to hear any issues that need to be addressed with them.

Derek
Does LMC sell your seals? If not, then who does?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #30
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBeanDriver View Post
Does LMC sell your seals? If not, then who does?
LMC buys some Precision products, they also source directly overseas on a lot of parts. There are many vendors that use Precision, you just have to ask them on a particular part if it's Precision, or buy direct: http://precisionrestorationparts.com/

Derek

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #31
Skunksmash

Quote:

Derek
Where to begin?

They're so much thicker than the factory seals. Easily twice as thick, maybe more. That of course makes them not fit very well. Also makes them more difficult to work with than they had to be. I can't see any reason they need to be that thick. The factory ones were thin and lasted since 1987 and didn't start leaking until they got to be over 20 years old. I had to get a heat gun after the Precision ones just to get them to get in place. And once I finally got them on, they had a lot of air leaks. Some were so bad that no amount of "ingenuity" was going to fix them. I'm not talking about some kind of torn hole, I mean a factory defect in the seal itself that wouldn't let it seal the leak. I had to use RTV silicon to seal up these holes at the top.

They were about 3 mm, way too much. Once I got the old factory seals off, I laid them next to the Precision brand seals. There are so many differences that I won't be using Precision again. Not worth it. Sorry. Not trying to be rough or anything, that's just my experience. Right now I feel like the seals on the truck are sub par and will need to be replaced with something that fits better.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #32
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Where to begin?

They're so much thicker than the factory seals. Easily twice as thick, maybe more. That of course makes them not fit very well. Also makes them more difficult to work with than they had to be. I can't see any reason they need to be that thick. The factory ones were thin and lasted since 1987 and didn't start leaking until they got to be over 20 years old. I had to get a heat gun after the Precision ones just to get them to get in place. And once I finally got them on, they had a lot of air leaks. Some were so bad that no amount of "ingenuity" was going to fix them. I'm not talking about some kind of torn hole, I mean a factory defect in the seal itself that wouldn't let it seal the leak. I had to use RTV silicon to seal up these holes at the top.

They were about 3 mm, way too much. Once I got the old factory seals off, I laid them next to the Precision brand seals. There are so many differences that I won't be using Precision again. Not worth it. Sorry. Not trying to be rough or anything, that's just my experience. Right now I feel like the seals on the truck are sub par and will need to be replaced with something that fits better.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a rough deal. With such a poor fitting seal I wonder if you were sold the wrong set? I say this because NOBODY should need to use RTV silicon to seal these up...ever! I hear about people getting the wrong seals for these trucks from time to time because of the vagueness of the 81-87(91) year span and the fact that the doors and the vent assemblies are interchangable throughout the 73-87 trucks, however the vent seals themselves cannot be interchanged. Let me explain a little further>

73-80 - These are the two piece style where the vertical division bar weatherstrip rivets to the division bar.

81-85 - These are the two piece style where the vertical division bar weatherstrip has metal fold over tabs that insert into the division bar and fold over.

85-87(91) - These are the one piece style where the vertical piece simply presses into a channel on the division bar. Of course being one single piece this is easy to spot from the other two.

The 81-85 & 85-87(91) is a vague breakdown but is what is more common on these years. Last week however I spoke to a guy who had an 89 suburban with a two piece style. He told me it was original!

These vent weatherstrips MUST use their respective vent assemblies and cannot be interchanged.

Skunksmash, if this does not sound like your issue then PM your number, I will need to ask a lot more detailed questions, but very happy to help.

Derek

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Old 04-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #33
JellyBeanDriver

Quote:
These vent weatherstrips MUST use their respective vent assemblies and cannot be interchanged.
Derek,
I took a hard look at the seals on our 86' C30 and could not determine if they were one piece or two piece. Do you have a photo of each version mounted up to show how to tell the difference?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #34
xole

I purchased/installed the 2-piece from Precision for my 86 a couple of weeks ago and am happy with them.

I will say that their installation video was not really a help but after I realized that vaselene was my friend all went well and no glue is necessary.

No more wind noise and after I realized my rear window tracks where bolted in using the wrong holes in the door (paint shop) my windows even stay in the track now.

I can take a some pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested.
Posted via Mobile Device
'08 Lexus LS 460
xole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #35
Skunksmash

Quote:
85-87(91) - These are the one piece style where the vertical piece simply presses into a channel on the division bar. Of course being one single piece this is easy to spot from the other two.

The 81-85 & 85-87(91) is a vague breakdown but is what is more common on these years. Last week however I spoke to a guy who had an 89 suburban with a two piece style.Derek
Got mine from the dealership, they were once piece. When I was at the parts counter I noticed how thick they were and I asked the parts guy what the difference was. He told me that GM had subbed out the production of the seals to Precision, and that likely accounted for the difference.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #36
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Derek,
I took a hard look at the seals on our 86' C30 and could not determine if they were one piece or two piece. Do you have a photo of each version mounted up to show how to tell the difference?
You can check by rolling down your window and pulling the glassrun away from the division post a little. If you see metal fold over tabs, that will be the 2 piece style. If you see nothing but the bare metal of the division bar then that will be the 1 piece style.

Call me at the number below if you need more help.

Derek

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #37
JellyBeanDriver

Quote:
You can check by rolling down your window and pulling the glassrun away from the division post a little. If you see metal fold over tabs, that will be the 2 piece style. If you see nothing but the bare metal of the division bar then that will be the 1 piece style.

Call me at the number below if you need more help.

Derek
Thanks. Totally forgot to check today when I was at the ranch - will check this weekend.

Anyone know how that post is attached to the glass frame? The driver's side on this truck, the post is broken off.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #38
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Thanks. Totally forgot to check today when I was at the ranch - will check this weekend.

Anyone know how that post is attached to the glass frame? The driver's side on this truck, the post is broken off.
I believe that post is welded to the metal u channel that is directly attached to the vent glass. It may be possible to weld that post back to the glass frame but might be better to try and source the vent glass from a wrecking yard. We also sell complete refurbished vent assemblies if you're interested.

Derek

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook