The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2018, 11:35 PM   #1
TaylorL

Adding auxillary input to original Delco radios

My dad bought my 85 K10 shortbed brand new. He put 400,000 miles on that old 6.2 diesel and 4 speed before parking it in 2007. I got it back on the road in 2016, since then the diesel cane out in favor of an ls swap and an nv4500. It's been a ton of fun restoring and modernizing my dad's old k10. One of the things that I've really wanted back was the original radio. I still have the original but it had some issues so I swapped it out for a cheap single din radio to get me by. Though nothing beats the looks of an original Delco radio in the dash of our trucks, not even a retro sound. The trouble is for the most part a modern radio is our only option for any kind of auxillary input to play music off our phones. With some determination though I found a way to add an auxillary input to our original Delco radios. Particularly the gm2700 series. Basically there are two wires that come out of the tuner heading for the volume pot. You must cut these wires in the middle, splice the tuner leads into the input of a switched auxillary jack from radio shack and the two wires going to the volume pot solder into the outputs of the jack. Ground it and your done. This way under normal conditions your radio works like original with am/fm functions. But when an auxillary cord is plugged into the jack the am/fm tuner is disconnected and the auxillary cord becomes the input. The auxillary jack can be remote mounted under the dash discretely. Everything will look and function as original until you plug into the hidden auxillary input.

TaylorL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
TaylorL

Re: Adding auxillary input to original Delco radios

https://youtu.be/IJwhZHes3xI
Old 01-23-2018, 11:56 PM   #3
TaylorL

Above is a link to the radio functioning first on fm radio then with an auxillary cord plugged in.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
SunSoaked

That's awesome, I'll be doing mine soon. My 85 has an am only radio. Hopefully it's the same inside as yours as far as the wiring goes. Thanks
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Jeepwm69

For those who don't want to solder (I stink at soldering), this is an option.

I put these in my Jeeps. You basically plug this in between the factory antenna wire and the radio, run hot and ground wires, and when you want to use AUX you turn your radio to 88.3 and the AUX is piped in that way.

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MO.../dp/B001QBG614

Works great.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
RedBed

Did the same thing a good while back. Worked pretty well, but in the end I decided to replace the unit (and CUT the dash...). But still, a great option for those who want to stay factory.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
TaylorL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
That's awesome, I'll be doing mine soon. My 85 has an am only radio. Hopefully it's the same inside as yours as far as the wiring goes. Thanks
Shoot me a message if you have any questions. If your radio is stereo that's largely helpful. If its an older am only with mono output you'll have to converge the left and right audio channels from the auxillary into the mono input on your radio. It can be done easy enough but I think you generally want to solder a resistor in at the splice. I'd have to read up on adding auxillary to a mono radio. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
TaylorL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBed View Post
Did the same thing a good while back. Worked pretty well, but in the end I decided to replace the unit (and CUT the dash...). But still, a great option for those who want to stay factory.

Very clean!
Old 01-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
andyh1956

Do you think this mod would work on a non GM radio?
I have two NOS FM / AM 8 Tracks I would like to do this to.
I bet mine look just like yours on the inside!
I have the 1st generation HTE Sirius sat Receiver / Transmitter & like to hardwire it to all the radios I use it on.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
RedBed

There are vids and posts all over the internet about adding an AUX IN to almost any stereo. Just do some research, and you should be able to find something. It really does work well, and you can plug in a bluetooth adapter and stream music, or take calls.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:22 AM   #11
andyh1956

Thanks. Never know when my stock broker's gonna call!
I have a blue tooth at work I plug into the data ports on these new chevys & it transmits vehicle data to an android phone with the ap on it that talks to the trucks. I like a laptop better.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:46 AM   #12
Jesus flores

I have an original am fm radio in my 1972 C5 blazer. C
an anyone tell me what i need to buy to hook up my blue tooth? Is there a web site that sell a unit that u put into the radio?
Jesus flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #13
blazer2007

I looked at the u tube videos on this and lots of good info so I ordered a couple of bluetooth receivers from amazon, going to give it a try but have to wait a month or 2 to get them,they were $4 each
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #14
andyh1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
I looked at the u tube videos on this and lots of good info so I ordered a couple of bluetooth receivers from amazon, going to give it a try but have to wait a month or 2 to get them,they were $4 each
Let me guess, coming on a "Slow Boat From China"...
Old 02-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #15
RedBed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus flores View Post
I have an original am fm radio in my 1972 C5 blazer. C
an anyone tell me what i need to buy to hook up my blue tooth? Is there a web site that sell a unit that u put into the radio?
once you find out where to wire in the aux input on your stereo, you will need a RadioShack 274-246 3.5mm female stereo jack. It allows the FM to go through until you plug in another input. Then it closes off the FM and runs the input.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #16
ninety6

Nice! Probably going to tackle this whenever i get some decent weather! I want to keep the stock look, and don't drive the truck much -- but pretty much hate radio.

Going to use this and throw in a bluetooth receiver plugged into it. I have the AM/FM Stereo, no tape deck (86 C10 Silverado) -- but I'm sure it's set up almost the same way...

I'd kinda wonder if you have the tape deck could you use the tape deck audio instead of FM? so you'd switch to TAPE to play your aux-in, or FM for the radio....
ninety6 is offline   Reply With Quote