The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Door hinge bolt problems

Removed the drivers door today, and had a couple problems. On the lower hinge mount on the cab, the left bolt broke and the right "captured nut" came loose from the hinge mount. Had to grind the bolt head off.

Anybody else deal with this? How to replace the "nut"? I am going to try one of those square bolt extractors on the broken one and try to drive it all the way through. Backing it out sure didn't work.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Re: Door hinge bolt problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70C10Toejam View Post
Removed the drivers door today, and had a couple problems. On the lower hinge mount on the cab, the left bolt broke and the right "captured nut" came loose from the hinge mount. Had to grind the bolt head off.

Anybody else deal with this? How to replace the "nut"? I am going to try one of those square bolt extractors on the broken one and try to drive it all the way through. Backing it out sure didn't work.
I had the same problem a couple years back. I took some sq. tubing and made my own cages, then before I spot welded them in I inserted unistrut nuts(3/8"-16) I might have one laying around I could send you, PM me your addy I will try to find it & send it. Another option is to replace the upper & lower hinge pieces with repops.Let me know.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabguy View Post
I had the same problem a couple years back. I took some sq. tubing and made my own cages, then before I spot welded them in I inserted unistrut nuts(3/8"-16) I might have one laying around I could send you, PM me your addy I will try to find it & send it. Another option is to replace the upper & lower hinge pieces with repops.Let me know.
Thanks.
You can just post a pic of it if you find it. I think that that is close to what I've been thinking about since I posted this. Drilling and tapping a thick plate then tacking it in place.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70C10Toejam View Post
Thanks.
You can just post a pic of it if you find it. I think that that is close to what I've been thinking about since I posted this. Drilling and tapping a thick plate then tacking it in place.
Dont tack the plate in place, you need the adjustment for the hinge. I made a cage for the plate to slide for adjustment.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Isn't the adjustment in the hinge itself? The "nut" that came loose was fixed, the other ones don't have any movement.