The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
forestb

suburban frame

Ive heard that the new suburban frame is the same as the H2 frame is hat true? and also does anybody know the width of the frame from outer edge to outer edge where the sway bar attaches on the H2 or suburban?

Last edited by forestb; 06-22-2009 at 03:56 PM.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: suburban frame

The Hummer H2 frame is the same basic architecture as the Tahoe but it is not to say you can pop the body off Tahoe and roll a H2 on it. There are differences with body mount locations and frame rail lengths amongst many other things I am sure. The H2 actually has light duty 2500 axles under it which are not available on Tahoes.

As far as your question, I would recommend looking under a 2500 Suburban or H2 to find the sway bar mounting locations. There are plenty laying around on dealers lots being nobody is buying these things these days.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
forestb

Thanks for the info. That is probably what I will have to end up doing. The reason I ask is I have a 62 chevy pickup which has a frame that is vary wide and nobody that I have found makes rear sways bars that fit that year. They all say that they do but when you look at the item description it is the same one that they are selling for the 63 to 66 pickups which have a much narrower frame. I have already asked in the 60-66 forum but I didn't get any answers. The other day I noticed that the H2 has a really wide rear sway bar so I thought I would look into using one of there's on my truck. But I could not get any info off the web about the distance between the H2 frame rails.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
truckpoorpackrat

Measurements for the rear swaybar on a H2. Frame mounts 40.1/4 in on center , end of swaybar 43.1/4 in. (where the links mount), 35.1/2 in. on center where bushings fasten swaybar to rear axle, and front to rear length aprox. 13. in . Hope this helps. James.
truckpoorpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
forestb

Thanks James your awesome!

That really helps. Now I have to go measure my truck.