The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Bob the Builder

Question on Bed Rails ?

I started working on my 56 short bed on sunday and I ended up tearing out the old rotten plywood in the bed,the old rails were in pretty bad shape and I cut the whole mess out of the truck.My Question is about the right angle rails on the right and left sides of the box.Are those rails spot welded to the box and how do you replace them? What if I use ss rails and finally any suggestions on where to find replacement rails and hardware? Also I would like to use hardwood, not plywood on the bed. My second Question has to do with lining up the bed b4 its bolted down,any information is really appreiciated.

Last edited by Bob the Builder; 05-02-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Bob the Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Jebb1978

Re: Question on Bed Rails ?

I actually have not done this project yet. I did just order a very affordable oak kit from a board member. I should be doing this soon and I will post pics. I am sorry I can't be more help now. If you give me a few weeks I should be an expert.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Bob the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb1978
I actually have not done this project yet. I did just order a very affordable oak kit from a board member. I should be doing this soon and I will post pics. I am sorry I can't be more help now. If you give me a few weeks I should be an expert.
Thanks for the response,I would be interested hearing how the project turns out,Thanks..... Bob
Bob the Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Builder
My Question is about the right angle rails on the right and left sides of the box.Are those rails spot welded to the box and how do you replace them? What if I use ss rails and finally any suggestions on where to find replacement rails and hardware? Also I would like to use hardwood, not plywood on the bed. My second Question has to do with lining up the bed b4 its bolted down,any information is really appreiciated.
Bob:
We have an instruction for removing and replacing the angle strips. http://www.mar-k.com/54-72anglestrips.pdf Hope it helps. Stainless angles can be bolted or welded to the bedsides. They were spot welded originally and if you weld stainless angles to the bed, you will want to polish out the blue scale from the weld heat. Mar-K as well as most vendors can supply the parts you need. Also, if you buy Mar-K parts, we will include the complete bed assembly instruction to answer your alignment questions.

Mar-Ktech