The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2002, 11:22 PM   #1
Brewski*

Cool Put a new motor in the Red Rocket~! and a Question for restoration buffs~!

I was driving back to Colorado when the motor went bad I did not even get out of Missouri. The motor was not origional anyhow.
So, I bought a rebuilt 1971 350 GMC motor to match the trucks serial #s etc. $595.00 for the long block and a buddy put it in for 450.00 I think it was a great deal. Now I just got to get back to Missouri to find out how it runs~! I will send pix when I get them.
Question:
Did I do the right thing here or should I have put a bad a$$ motor in her and said the he77 with the restoration stuff. I did take the brand new edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock valve covers and 1406 off the old motor and put them on the new one along with the HEI and K&N filter. Should I rebuild the Quadrajet and put the old valve covers, manifold, points ignition and air filter on? OR should I go ahead with braided hoses and top off the new stuff?

------------------
Red Rocket: Stock 1971 GMC KE2500, LWB, Custom Camper, 4x4, 350 V8, 4 bbl, 4 speed http://www.brewski.freehomepage.com/index.html

Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 11:28 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

to each his own...I like the added power and the wow factor when the hood is popped. Sittin at a light with a huge frikken cam is pretty cool too, but way too many ppl who don't know about them think it needs a tune up.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
FINALLY got the HORNIAC...a '70 one ton Longhorn with a Pontiac 350/350 and lots of 'personality'. Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 11:49 PM   #3
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

i agree to each his own, sense your even considering doing the performance and chrome, i think you already know the answer......

------------------
My Truck pictures

www.xframeimpala.com

68 4x4 short fleetside 327 CH465 edelbrock intake and carb MSD distributor its the "SHAGROLET"
56 big window short stepside 235 dual 1 brls
64ImpalaSS 327
70 C10 LWB fleetside custom/10 350/TH350
IM me on aol SN= SHAGROLET

68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 08:43 AM   #4
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

Brewski, I think your truck just cries out to be original. A 4x4 camper special is a fairly rare breed. JMHO - keep this one original and buy a beater SWB plain jane to rod out if you have the need for speed.

------------------
72 Sierra Grande - "Maych"
sierraG on some boards

If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.

Maych Home Page

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:03 AM   #5
jku72

I like the original look, with internal mods, I have a nice 350, with some minor mods to increase power, but it still looks factory, but your taste dictates this. Just because it is souped up, there is no requirement that it be all chromed out!

------------------
jku
70 C30 CST Longhorn
68k10 burb
69 K5 beater
43 willys GPW
40 Chev coupe
67 catalina

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:18 AM   #6
Desert Rat

Dude put it together however your little heart desires,but keep all the original crap just incase you change you mind someday.Next time you need a motor swap bring it to me and about half of whet your buddy charged.Only a FULL days work,pretty good wages.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 06:28 PM   #7
Brewski*

I still have every last thing I have ever taken off this truck. ( Would like to cram it up the a$$ of the mother who took me on it~!) All that stuff takes up a whole corner of my garage.
Thanks for all the advise. I think I like it how it is with just a little of the nice stuff to accent the origional + give it a little extra performance and a little shiny stuff here and there~!

------------------
Red Rocket: Stock 1971 GMC KE2500, LWB, Custom Camper, 4x4, 350 V8, 4 bbl, 4 speed http://www.brewski.freehomepage.com/index.html

[This message has been edited by Brewski* (edited April 25, 2002).]
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote