The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

How bad off are these inner fenders?

"My" body guy offered to do the fenders, but he hasn't seen the results of blasting yet. My first blasting experience.........Hired a shop actually, I don't have an adequate compressor. $60 seems very reasonable, nice people. They do powder coat as well.

Course all the imperfections are exposed, and the corner (pictured) comes as an unpleasant surprise. Didn't even notice before after handling it twice (no surprise, sadly), but the outer fender says it was damaged before I dropped it off. Thank you.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
saxart

Re: How bad off are these inner fenders?

To me it depends what kind of truck you're building. If you're building a clean "driver", then you should be good with those. If you're building a top shelf resto, then those won't work.

If you end up buying repops, watch eBay as there are some vendors there who charge minimal amounts of shipping yet the actual inner fender is the same price as the catalog stores.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:07 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
To me it depends what kind of truck you're building. If you're building a clean "driver", then you should be good with those. If you're building a top shelf resto, then those won't work.

If you end up buying repops, watch eBay as there are some vendors there who charge minimal amounts of shipping yet the actual inner fender is the same price as the catalog stores.
I'm pursuing a top shelf restore. Won't work huh, hmmmmm, because of that corner I suppose. The body man is very good, but I don't know, perhaps it's not worth the cost & effort.

Most of this truck will be original parts. All the exterior will be original, less the rubber. I hadn't thought about reproductions.

You figure some repops are an exact fit? I see GMCpauls sells them, looks to be the same gauge steel.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:29 AM   #4
Curtb1971

The upper rust holes are pretty typical and can be fixed. The dent is tougher but I've seen body men perform miracle's on a piece of sheet metal with a torch, dolly and hammer. I guess it's a matter of if you can find another RH (harder to find nice OE ones because the battery acid) versus what the body man will charge to have a go at it. I haven't used repop inner fenders for a 67-72 but did for a 65. They didn't fit at all and ended up cutting a patch out of the new one to fix the oem. Hope someone else can chime in on fitment of reproduction inner fenders. Good luck
Curtb1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:50 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

NOS front inner fenders come up for sale from time to time on the parts forum, I found my set there two years ago. They don't sell quickly, you might go that route.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote