The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Olden Days
Living In The Past

camaro clip on 51 questions

Hey all, I posted a little bit back asking for ideas for ifs without dropping the truck too much. we finally decided there is nothing out there that keeps the truck stock height and stummbled across a camaro clip from a late 70's z28. and decided to go for it. Anyhow I know this has been done thousands of times by folks, but I havent done one and dont want to have to figure out everything for myself if I dont have to. I was hoping someone here has bookmarked a how to page on this with recommendations and what not to do sort of things.
we got the truck pushed in the shop and are ready to get at it. any help is greatly appreaciated. thanks Jerry
Attached Images

Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: camaro clip on 51 questions

do a search here on camaro clip and comaro clip. I think someone here did one that looked real good
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:31 AM   #3
MARTINSR

I have a camaro clipped frame that I am going to sell if you are interested. It was done RIGHT. I am in Fremont just a few miles from you.

If you do it, there are a couple of things that are always over looked. First, set the rear of the frame at the height you plan on it being when done. Next, check on the stock Camaro what the angle of the upper control arm shafts are. Using an angle finder, just set it on the control arm and record that angle. This is done of course WITH the motor and all normal weight in the car. Also measure the distance between the rubber bumpers on the lower control arm and the frame.

Now, when you set up your sub frame you want to remove the shocks and run some "all thread" where the shocks were and put a washer and nut on each end. But first put some axle grease on those threads. Tighten up the nuts on the all thread compressing the coil springs until the rubber snubbers are the same distance as they were on the Camaro from the frame. NOW your sub frame is sitting at ride height. Now you can cut off your frame (but don't do that if you plan on buying mine. and roll your sub frame up to the frame stubs. I personally didn't dice up my sub frame trying to "mate" it to the original. I cut it off so there was a little gap between the two. I spent the time that I would have trying to make something that doesn't matter perfect and instead make the thing SET RIGHT in relation to the truck. I set it up on jack stands so that the control arm shafts were PERFECTLY the same as they were on the Camaro, that the wheel base is PERFECT (no, not with a ruler, but with the front sheet metal on the truck and the wheels centered in the wheel well) then and only then did I tack the frame together with a small strap of metal. THEN, I boxed the frame in all the way around going well onto both the sub frame and the trucks frame with a nice peice of 1/4" metal and thoroughly welding it all in.

Now, the truck can be brought down to the alignment shop and aligned JUST as if it were a 79 Camaro. If the angle of the control arm shafts are wrong you may not be able to get enough or have too much caster or camber. When set up right, it is just like aligning a 79 Camaro and THAT is what you tell the alignment shop so they don't get to freaked out with this half breed truck of yours.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

Last edited by MARTINSR; 03-25-2007 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Adding photo
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Olden Days
Living In The Past

Thanks for the responses. They are appreaciated.
MARTINSR I would love to have a frame already done. We are on a very tight budget, but I would be interested to know what you would take for it to see if we could swing it. I take it that picture you posted is with camaro clip to show the drop and or wheel center? thanks again for the informative post. jerry
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
MARTINSR

Jerry, you have a PM.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Gibbon"s makes a front cross member that will bolt right in where the old rivets were that held the I beam in place. Set up is designed for IFS from CHRYSLER (torsion bar suspension) that is adjustable from stock to where ever you want when ever you want to your desired ride height. It goes right where the old I beam was so wheels line up centred .... no brainer that is why I used it. Check out my 50' Chevy P/UP posted here.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 04-14-2007 at 11:32 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote