The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
raidmagic

One wire wiper switch

Everything I can find about the wiper circuit has 2 wires going to the switch and 3 to the motor. I only have 2 at the motor and one at the switch. How the heck does this work? I thought maybe the switch provided the ground but when I put power to the motor it runs whether the switch is on or not. Any help would be great. Thanks
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: One wire wiper switch

You have a single speed wiper motor. The motors & switches you're seeing with more wires/terminals are 2-speed.

The switch is on the ground side of the circuit. One wire is the fused power feed to the motor that is live whenever the ignition key is on. The other wire leads back to the dash switch (that completes the circuit to ground to run the motor).

Note that there is also a parking switch inside the motor / gearbox assembly. That switch also completes the cicuit to ground (motor case) and allows the motor to run independent of the dash switch until it reaches the parked position. So if your motor is running as soon as you apply power (dash switch off), it is either (a) not in the park position and will eventually stop there if you keep it powered on, or (b) the park switch contacts are stuck and keeping it running all the time.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
You have a single speed wiper motor. The motors & switches you're seeing with more wires/terminals are 2-speed.

The switch is on the ground side of the circuit. One wire is the fused power feed to the motor that is live whenever the ignition key is on. The other wire leads back to the dash switch (that completes the circuit to ground to run the motor).

Note that there is also a parking switch inside the motor / gearbox assembly. That switch also completes the cicuit to ground (motor case) and allows the motor to run independent of the dash switch until it reaches the parked position. So if your motor is running as soon as you apply power (dash switch off), it is either (a) not in the park position and will eventually stop there if you keep it powered on, or (b) the park switch contacts are stuck and keeping it running all the time.
Awesome.Thanks for the info.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
hotrodder

I am glad you asked this question! I have been trying wire after wire combos , attempting to get the thing to work.
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote