The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
skip99

Mustang II help...

Bought this unfinished project 10 years ago, 51 truck, already had must 2 front on it, was told it was either a fatman or something...anyway, does this look like a stock setup ? Maybe pulled from a parts car? Not that thats a bad thing but, in the pic, circled in red, the joint moves about 1/4” without moving the driver side, is there an adjustment forthat? Otherwise i think im looking at having to replace the whole power rack? Suggestions? Alsooooo,

To get the height i want im thinking i need the 2” drop spindles,,any sugestions? Would also like to upgrade to the 11” gm rotors at the same time..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
Overdriven

Re: Mustang II help...

That MII setup is using stock style arms, but Fatman and others sold MII setups with stock arms. You are missing the strut rods to go along with those stock style arms, donor should’ve had them and if it was a kit it would’ve come with them. Somebody left them off.

Racks are maintenance free, no adjustments available as far as I know. No idea on sizing or sourcing a replacement. There’s gotta be a measurement you can take to get another though. Worst come to worst, find a rebuilder and have yours rebuilt.

Sorry no idea on the spindles or brakes.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #3
skip99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
That MII setup is using stock style arms, but Fatman and others sold MII setups with stock arms. You are missing the strut rods to go along with those stock style arms, donor should’ve had them and if it was a kit it would’ve come with them. Somebody left them off.

Racks are maintenance free, no adjustments available as far as I know. No idea on sizing or sourcing a replacement. There’s gotta be a measurement you can take to get another though. Worst come to worst, find a rebuilder and have yours rebuilt.

Sorry no idea on the spindles or brakes.
Missing strut rods? Where should they go?

Old 07-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #4
oldman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip99 View Post
Missing strut rods? Where should they go?
I think you may have the strut rods, your first pic show where they bolt to the arm. They go from the arm back to the frame, where a bracket should be. They were angled back to bracket with rubber on both sides with cups then a nut to hold in place.

I don't have a pic of the orginal set-up, but here is a link to what Heidt's sales now. https://www.heidts.com/search-results/?keywords=sr-101. Hope this helps ...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:32 AM   #5
bloo

Do you mean there is 1/4" of slop in/out under the boot inside that red circle? If so, thats a bad inner tie rod end. It probably isn't adjustable, but it probably is replaceable. Take the boot off and look.

SInce its a power rack, I wouldn't be in a big rush to repair it until you know the rack is good. There is all sorts of crap that can go wrong with a power rack.

Last edited by bloo; 07-12-2019 at 01:40 AM.
bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:37 AM   #6
skip99

Good info, thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo View Post
Do you mean there is 1/4" of slop in/out under the boot inside that red circle? If so, thats a bad inner tie rod end. It probably isn't adjustable, but it probably is replaceable. Take the boot off and look.

SInce its a power rack, I wouldn't be in a big rush to repair it until you know the rack is good. There is all sorts of crap that can go wrong with a power rack.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #7
Overdriven

Oops. Didn’t realize the strut rods went from the arms to the rear on the Mustang II. Must have been remembering a different vehicle where the strut rods go to the front of the vehicle.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
robnolimit

The racks are non adjustable on the inner tie rod, BUT, I have seen them get loose. This is a threaded coupler. You can pull the boot back and see if it is loose. - tighten to 75 ft/lbs. Other than that, new rack. 74-78 Mustang was the base doner from the picts. For dropped spindles, No Limit has a "Smart Spindle" MII based, 2" drop, the brake side thinks it is a metric GM (G-Body), so the spindle pin and caliper mount are spec of the OE gm. You can put 11" GM rotor/cal/pads/bearings/seals directly on the spindle. No adapters or bolt-on mounts. 139/pr
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #9
skip99

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
The racks are non adjustable on the inner tie rod, BUT, I have seen them get loose. This is a threaded coupler. You can pull the boot back and see if it is loose. - tighten to 75 ft/lbs. Other than that, new rack. 74-78 Mustang was the base doner from the picts. For dropped spindles, No Limit has a "Smart Spindle" MII based, 2" drop, the brake side thinks it is a metric GM (G-Body), so the spindle pin and caliper mount are spec of the OE gm. You can put 11" GM rotor/cal/pads/bearings/seals directly on the spindle. No adapters or bolt-on mounts. 139/pr
So , the diff in most kits, or drop spindles ive seen use an odd bearing to make the gm rotor fit, right? I assume you have all the parts i need, ill be in contact.. looked on your site, didnt see it..

Last edited by skip99; 07-27-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #10
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip99 View Post
So , the diff in most kits, or drop spindles ive seen use an odd bearing to make the gm rotor fit, right? I assume you have all the parts i need, ill be in contact.. looked on your site, didnt see it..
Yes, our Smart Spindle was designed to use all of the OE G-body brake components. Rotors, Calipers, Bearings and Seals. These are the spindles that we use in out Air Glide and Road Glide IFS kits. - not on the site separate, but they are avail. We have dual pattern (4 1/2" and 4 3/4") drilled/slotted rotors for these. They all use 1/2" x 20 thread screw in studs. Just give us a call.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:41 PM   #11
skip99

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Yes, our Smart Spindle was designed to use all of the OE G-body brake components. Rotors, Calipers, Bearings and Seals. These are the spindles that we use in out Air Glide and Road Glide IFS kits. - not on the site separate, but they are avail. We have dual pattern (4 1/2" and 4 3/4") drilled/slotted rotors for these. They all use 1/2" x 20 thread screw in studs. Just give us a call.
Thanks!