The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #26
In The Ten Ring

Re: Popular guy stuff that you dont like or do.

"Popular guy stuff I don't like to do."

I don't really see anything I don't like to do as being "guy stuff." Here are some things most people do that I refuse to do.

1). Wear jeans.

2). Use a smartphone.

3). Text.....I hate it and keep it at a minimum (friends know not to text me).

4). Wear flip flops.

5). Watch sports. I'll sort of watch boxing, MMA with my dad or I'll watch ice skating or alpine skiing races if on the treadmill at the gym but that's it.

6). Use Netflix.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #27
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post

I don't really see anything I don't like to do as being "guy stuff." Here are some things most people do that I refuse to do.

1). Wear jeans.

2). Use a smartphone.

4). Wear flip flops.

5). Watch sports. I'll sort of watch boxing, MMA with my dad or I'll watch ice skating or alpine skiing races if on the treadmill at the gym but that's it.

6). Use Netflix.

Hi, I'm Mr. Hart... I'll be your therapist for the rest of this thread.

You don't:
Wear Jeans... use a smart phone.. Text... wear flip flops (means you've never been to the beach!)... watch sports.... use netflix!

I am concerned to hear this. Put on some 501s and wear them to go buy a smart phone. Text me back a go pound sand text. Watch a good ballgame. Then binge watch a netflix series(eat some popcorn!)

We'll dig deeper in the next session!

The Doctor is in!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #28
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:

1). Wear jeans.

2). Use a smartphone.

4). Wear flip flops.

6). Use Netflix.
Well this is supposed to be a guys thing, not just something you don't do that anyone one does male or female. But since you posted it up the only one Im with you on is wear flip flops ... I hate those things and sandals I don't like those either. But the don't wear blue jeans has me curious. What do you wear?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:25 PM   #29
special-K
Special Order

Leave the toilet seat up It's a seat man, it belongs down. It lifts so we don't pee all over it. Make sense now? Good

Flip-flops are for walking to and from the beach across the hot sand

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-14-2017 at 10:33 PM.
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:59 AM   #30
In The Ten Ring

If I had talked to most of you 7 years ago you'd tell me I was nuts for another reason.....I was a dedicated (to you that means "fanatical") skydiver on my way to becoming a BASE jumper. *I'll get back to it some day because Skies Call. (That really is a book, give it a read sometime).

"What do I wear if I don't wear jeans?" A kilt! What else?

In 1997 I went overseas with a friend and he told me "get a pair of khakis, that's what everyone wears over there." I did and he was right. I haven't worn them since. Khakis are much more comfortable, warmer, and look 10X more professional. If I'm open carrying, people think I'm a detective of some sort. If I'm not, they think I'm management.

I kept a pair of flip flops at every door of my house for short excursions outside....I did until I missed a step and turned a toe nail inside out. I went to "crocs" and tossed every pair of flip flops. I see people out on the town in flip flops....I just SMH. If they had to run for whatever reason..... *Haven't been to the beach since 2007 but my GF does live on an island, a beach trip is coming up.

Ball games are silly to a guy like me...watch bunch of guys chase a ball around where at least half of them can't speak proper English? Riveting stuff.

Netflix.....no new movies, just stuff I'd seen before. I took that money and got a lease on an oxygen tank for my torch kit. One project a year is way more time better spent than a year of watching anything.

Smartphones turn people into addicts and zombies....studies show it but all you have to do is look around. I had such a device from 2011 till 2014 but realized I spent every free second on the thing. That's no way to live! I got rid of it and I'm 100% happier, much more alert, and other than goofing off, I never used it anyway. A flip phone is much better.

Texting....takes all day to have a conversation. Most human communication is body language with the second most being voice tone. Both are lost with texting. Besides, I type complete sentences, with proper paragraph structure but by the time I have done so, proof read, made corrections, and sent the text, the other person has typed three badly-worded short answers, incomplete sentences all, and changed the subject! No thanks!

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 12-15-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:45 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

I call to have a conversation and text short thoughts, quick questions, small important bits of info not requiring taking someone away from their work or whatever. Texting is a very useful tool when used properly. I get text signals from some people that beep on and on letting me know I have 5 or more texts. I open my flip phone, don't read a thing, and text back "Call me".

I never had a smart phone but my next phone I suppose will be. I figure it's up to the individual how they go about using one. Not everyone who uses one buries their face in it all day long. I plan to continue my use of the laptop for most computer needs and only view internet during the work day for things related to work. These days, e-mail is like phone calls used to be. I check e-mail morning and night, but it seems many who send them throughout the day expect a prompt response, same as phone. The weather app would be an absolute blessing. But I don't like how you ask a person a question and they are impulsively looking it up on their phone. I can see a future society of people with very little knowledge stored because it's all on theiir phone. Think that's a silly thought? How many phone numbers do you have stored in your head compared to before phnes stored them? I have forgotten numbers I used to have memorized.

I've worn Levis 501s since '76. I find they are warmer than khakis on me. I am a blue jean kind of guy. Can't imagine wearing anything else. Not concerned with people thinking I'm "Up to" their level. I see everyone s equal and put more effort in showing people they are no better than try to impress them as being one of them. I am a hands-on salt of the earth working man and proud of it. I produce helpful things that help people. My level of professionalism is shown through my actions, often more responsible than many so called professionals. You can be professional about driving a truck or any other job with a task. It has nothing to do with level of formal education, collar of collar, or whether you work from an office or not. It is the way one conducts themselves through their work day. I don't "act" professional, I act on a personal level, act as myself, and I find that works very well with people.

One of the biggest things that turned me off to professional sports on TV is when I was 21, living with my sister and B.I.L., and wanted to get his friends together for a basketball game. No dice, we're all hanging out to watch someone else play on TV. I always figured playing was more fun than watching. Isn't that why there are games in the first place?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #32
The Rocknrod

I've been wearing Khaki's since about 1981.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #33
flashed

On smart phones , I hated the thought of having one as I did not text ,send pics or anything else but my flip phone died and was no longer available thru my service .I got the least expensive smart phone available and learned how to use it .I do text and send pics now as its very handy when me and my truck partner are looking at trucks to buy in different areas as we live a good ways from each other .
I also like the Radio features on it as I now have music in my trucks that dont have functioning radios .
I am a jeans guy ,they are much longer lasting and more comfy to me than khakies .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #34
jeffahart

OK, session number two.

I can see clearly the problems. Any dime store therapist could spot it a mile away. Easy Freudian stuff here. Faulty toilet training and head trauma. Let’s take them one at a time!

Quote:
"What do I wear if I don't wear jeans?" A kilt! What else?
This is classic faulty toilet training as described by Sigmund Freud. You have a fear of flushing the urinal of a public toilet with your hands. A fear of germs has caused this phobia. This has caused you to engage in kick flushing the urinal handle. Kicking the leg so high to perform the kick flush caused binding in the crotch area. You then subconsciously ditched the 501s and opted for a kilt(I hope you're wearing underwear). This alleviated the binding to the crotch during the kick flush. The kilt, however, is not the answer. A better solution is to get past your fear of the hand flush and use the sink to wash your hands, with soap, after flushing!

Quote:
I was a dedicated (to you that means "fanatical") skydiver on my way to becoming a BASE jumper.
This skydiving is the clear cause of your thinking smart phones are not smart. Head trauma! I recommend a parachute. Although a helmet will protect your head on landing, it’s clearly not enough…. GET A PARACHUTE! Stop using your head!

Next session will go deeper into your compulsion of proper prose and your irrational fear Netflix.

The Doctor is in!
Old 12-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #35
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

My pet peave is people who do this or let their kids do this

lean onto my car or truck at a car show.. belt buckle scratches to prove it..

signs are for people who read signs ,appreciation of others is taught by fathers and mother from time began
Old 12-15-2017, 10:42 PM   #36
StorminNorman

Anything to do with UFC/MMA........Unfortunate so many car dudes are into it.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:38 AM   #37
In The Ten Ring

Every meth head out there thought "I can do it once or twice, I won't get addicted." Same with that smart phone...get one and see.

*The thing is, most addicts say they "aren't addicts." Same with the smartphone.

WHOA, looks like the doc might be on to something.....I do use my foot to flush!

I wouldn't call it a "fear of germs" though....I'd call it Microbiology class.

Always jumped with two parachutes and a helmet....it was skiing where I got my last concussion (2003 and it was the last time I skied without a helmet).

*I did get hit by a airplane twice though....once on the elbow (ouch) and once a plane hit my rig (in flight). My fault both times, I didn't go out far enough out on the strut before letting go. One great thing about when you advance to Superman and forward flip exists......no more getting hit by the plane!

Getting back to the original post, I had a girl ask me "is your garage a 'man cave'?" I replied "if by 'man cave' you mean 'piled to ceiling with boards, spare parts, tools, oil, gas cans, and a 45 year old truck up on blocks' then yes, I have a 'man cave.'"
Old 12-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #38
special-K
Special Order

There are people who have tried meth, crack, heroin that didn't get addicted. Trying it doesn't get you addicted, accepting it as ok to do does. It definitely takes doing it more than once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
Anything to do with UFC/MMA........Unfortunate so many car dudes are into it.
I already said I don't like professional sports, but I like even less that BS which I don't acknowledge as a sport.

Tim

Old 12-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #39
rusty76

I’m not into sports at all. I’d go to my stepsons basketball and baseball games but I don’t care about college and professional sports. I just can’t sit still long enough. I don’t care to have a man cave. And I surely will not need a sign that says “Man Cave.” I’m not that much into muscle cars. Though I like cars with attitude and the right stance. I like trucks sooo much more. But I don’t care for newer trucks from the dealership with lift kits and black 20 inch wheels. All these trucks look the same to me. I don’t get the whole nose up, tail down look either. I don’t hunt but I’m cool with it. I like to fish but I don’t want a boat. I’m not really into motorcycles that much either. But I kinda want one but I don’t want one that looks like every other bike you see on the road.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #40
Coley

One thing I admire when it comes to 'guy stuff' is how much somebodies own effort or stuff actually mean to them personally.
I get much more out of something someone did or something they have if they are really, openly excited and personally proud of it....regardless of whether it is actually truly great, new or expensive.

I do know guys who, although they mean well.... throw money at stuff...cars, electronics, whatever and trot this out likes its an accomplishment.
Then a couple years later, that stuff is gone or shelved...and replaced by yet its latest twin.
Its pretty evident that these things actually mean very little to them personally....so in effect, it means absolutely zero to me and I give it actually no time....or perhaps a blank stare and a yawn.
By contrast, I have friends who show immense pride in something they maybe found at a swap meet or garage sale and they are super excited about it....that counts for me and that event is the one that is 'conversation worthy'.

Obviously, the same goes with vehicles. 97% of new cars are relative clones of one another....something akin to 'a sea of silver and white potatoes' on the road. That is whether it is a car, SUV, 'cross over' or whatever.
Many, many years ago a new car actually took a lot of time, effort and money to acquire so there naturally a greater sense of pride in getting one.
Today it takes pretty much a pulse and a drivers license.....so whole 'new car' thing has lost a huge amount of its 'social cachet' I think.
I think finding a really great deal on a quality used car or truck has a lot more skill and effort behind it....and thus, for me....'social cachet'.

That is what is great about classic vehicles....for the better part you have to give up all your modern comforts and benefits to drive and nurture them along...regardless of their occasional shortcomings.
At the end of the day....you are without a doubt the coolest guy in traffic or at the intersection for your efforts.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #41
abig84

i hate beer. im 38 years old and have never found a beer that i like, in fact that goes for most alcohol. if i want to get drunk ill just just slam like a bunch of hard alcohol, dry heave a few times and be done with it.

i too have never really named my truck, i always refer to them as what they are, the 2wd or daily driver, the red truck, the offroad truck, and the old truck
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #42
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Owning a Harley Davidson seems to be a pretty popular guy thing that I use to look down my nose at for some time. Worse than the UFC guys that were purely spectators, buying up all the merchandise. Over the years I played more football than I watched on tv. Ran lots of 5ks and 10 ks, once ran a half marathon because my brother wanted me too. I dig rock climbing and white water rafting,camping,old trucks and old motorcycles and sometimes fishing..
The thing about it is, this is inherent in men. We are hard wired that way. We like challenge, strategy,winning, getting dirty and brute force/ horse power. I don't think that it's a fluke that it's mostly men that swing a hammer or have a physically hard occupations.
A great philosopher once said " he can't be a man, because he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me"

Last edited by kingsolver72; 12-16-2017 at 01:17 PM.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #43
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
i hate beer. im 38 years old and have never found a beer that i like, in fact that goes for most alcohol. if i want to get drunk ill just just slam like a bunch of hard alcohol, dry heave a few times and be done with it.

i too have never really named my truck, i always refer to them as what they are, the 2wd or daily driver, the red truck, the offroad truck, and the old truck
Same here...I hate beer. I have to be pretty drunk in order to tolerate it. I have bought more beers for other people than I have drunk myself. I prefer mixed drinks and "queer beers" like Smirnov Ice. There used to be such a drink from Sky.....it was called "Blue" and came in a small blue beer bottle. Not many places carried it and it was soon discontinued.....I wish I had a cache of it, it was that good.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #44
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
A great philosopher once said " he can't be a man, because he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me"
Marlboro Man?

We have a Tap Out Christmas ornament. When my son was fighting he gave it to us for Christmas. I guess we are posers haha! Course I would rather be a poser than get punched in the nose. Man, that makes my eyes water every time

Im glad when you were an angry man you were only behind the keyboard for us around here ... You are one formidable dude!!!

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #45
special-K
Special Order

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards

Tim

Old 12-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #46
shp4man

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post

Quote:
Same here...I hate beer. I have to be pretty drunk in order to tolerate it. I have bought more beers for other people than I have drunk myself. I prefer mixed drinks and "queer beers" like Smirnov Ice. There used to be such a drink from Sky.....it was called "Blue" and came in a small blue beer bottle. Not many places carried it and it was soon discontinued.....I wish I had a cache of it, it was that good.

There's a German guy on one of my other car forums that dislikes beer. Yep, it's true.

I posted back saying "And you call yourself a German?"
Old 12-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #47
Coley

The beer thing is kind of funny....and you just never know who likes it and who doesn't...fair enough for sure.
I do like beer but I'm not a really big beer drinker per say..maybe a couple a week? on the weekend, maybe?.....probably more in the summer I suppose.
However, if its a 'standard' beer like coors light or bud light or that kind of watery stuff....I'm out, that stuff isn't beer in my books....and Canada has some good beers.
Luckily the craft beer industry has really taken off (both U.S and Canada) and there are a lot of good beers out there and available now.....and I like a nice glass of wine often over a beer.

All of that said, its nice to have a great single malt scotch from time to time.

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 12-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #48
special-K
Special Order

Jeans... Come to think of it, they are as much a chick thing as a dude thing

Tim

Old 12-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #49
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Jeans... Come to think of it, they are as much a chick thing as a dude thing
.....how about 'skinny jeans' ?

lol, that I simply don't get...certainly not on guys.

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 12-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #50
Coley

Here is a good one......lol.

Who shaves or waxes their chest to remove all body hair?.....

I get a kick out the younger (millennial?) generation who are growing these big manly lumberjack beards.....then shave and wax their chest and body clean and clear of all other hair.
What is going on?....lol....what happened to a generation of young 'men'?

Here is another one......anyone doing the hair color darkening thing to get rid or eliminate gray?
I'm not in that group...but a few of my friends have been hitting the paint, lol.....its definitely nothing that a lot of guys admit to although you can't miss that black or slightly orange/chestnut tinge.
In my past/mid 50's I'm definitely and proudly in the 'gray' group now.

All good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500