The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
chris989

vibration stil

V2500 5.7 4wd 285/75/17 ko2 new outlaw 2 rims, tuff country quad shocks, 2 inch lift.

Hello all,
I still have a vibration that i can not figure out, Everything is new. it vibrates the truck that the passenger seat shakes. It does not come through the steering wheel or the brake pedal. Feels like the front passenger side. I do get a little brake shimmy on my new rotors and not sure if that could be my cause even when not braking.

Anyway, The next on my list is nitrogen shocks instead of hydraulic. another set of rotors. stabilizer shock.

Has anyone ever had a incessant shake and then finally found it? what was the cause?

Chris
chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:41 PM   #2
andyh1956

Re: vibration stil

Do you think it is a vibration or a shake? The two are not the same. That's not to say you don't have BOTH happening but to be sure when you get time jack up the rear of the truck, support the rear axle, remove the tires & run the truck at the speed that it vibrates / shakes. That can help you rule out tires & such.
Try this 1st & see what you can learn. I can help you if it's a driveline vibration but we have to know for sure before we start.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
chris989

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
Do you think it is a vibration or a shake? The two are not the same. That's not to say you don't have BOTH happening but to be sure when you get time jack up the rear of the truck, support the rear axle, remove the tires & run the truck at the speed that it vibrates / shakes. That can help you rule out tires & such.
Try this 1st & see what you can learn. I can help you if it's a driveline vibration but we have to know for sure before we start.
It feels like a tire balance issue, I have had DL issues in the past and it is not that. I think i am going to replace the rotors and stat from there.

HAs any swapped in Nitro shocks and noticed a change?
Old 08-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
Ski-me

Does it increase as you go faster? Stay constant if you hold that speed? I wouldn't think it's a shock issue. Probably tire balance, brake caliper or maybe axle shaft u-joint.

A bad shock will still eventually give a smooth ride after hitting a bump. If it's constant vibration probably not shock.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
geezer#99

Maybe this chart might help.
https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/att...5&d=1529067825
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
LEEVON

I would start in my shop by road force balancing the wheels/tires and looking for excess run out while doing so. If that checks out, running the truck on a lift with the wheels off the ground, looking for visual vibrations. If it's smooth on the lift, on to inspecting driveshaft balance, u-joints, axle bearings, transfer case, transmission, etc.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
chris989

Solved

The vibration turned out to be the NEW Raybsetos drums.

Using only the e-brake to slow i noticed i could reproduce the vibration slightly. I finally took the drums to a local shop to turn them. Both Drums were out .020 from center. The machined surface was round, just not centered to the drum.

Thinking about it, I guess the manufacture's surfacing machine must be bent. Both drums were identically bad.

I read once were someone said the turn every new rotor/drum. I guess i will subscribe to that also. If the new part is true, I only waste a few dollars to confirm it before wasting hours installing.

CHris
Old 01-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
andyh1956

Know what? Just this morning I was reading in the "Library" & saw an add for new drums & it said they must be turned.
Did the shop turn yours or grind them?
Glad you found the problem!
Old 01-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #9
skyphix

Glad it was solved! I had your issue once in a Honda, actually, and it ended up being a brand new REAR rotor. Felt like front passenger side. Felt like a wheel out of balance. Replaced that rotor with another brand new one from a different manufacturer and problem solved.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #10
chris989

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
Know what? Just this morning I was reading in the "Library" & saw an add for new drums & it said they must be turned.
Did the shop turn yours or grind them?
Glad you found the problem!
Andy,, What is the difference? I never heard of grinding a drum? I assumed they turned them on the lathe like machine????
Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #11
andyh1956

Back when I worked at the NAPA (High School) we had a grinding attachment that would grind the inside of a drum as it turned on the lathe. If you got a drum with discolored hot spots on it the bit would "Jump" those spots & chatter like krazy if you tried to turn it conventionally.
Sometimes the drum was ground after turning to produce a superior finish than you could get using the tri cornered cutting bit.
Here's a link to a user manual PDF:
http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/55...m-grinder.html
We also had a tool that ground on the shoes- was called "Arcing" the shoes. Brake shoe dust going everwhere, no dust mask or nuthin. Ah, the Good Ole Days!