The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2024, 05:55 PM   #1
ChadW

Wrapping 66 c10 door panels

Has anyone here ever wrapped their own door panels in vinyl or leather? when i got my seat...I purchased extra leather to do my door panels. I want to do this on my own and not take it to an upholstery shop...I have watched several videos on it and it doesnt look too complicated...My question is for anyone that has done this...did you use any type of thin foam backer or did you put the vinyl/leather straight to the metal door panels? Any pics if possible as well...
ChadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 01:21 PM   #2
Chevy nutcase

Re: Wrapping 66 c10 door panels

Once the weather starts warming up I plan to do exactly this to my 66. I've been leatherworking for a while now and I can't wait to start using what I've learned on my truck. I haven't made any plans yet but your questions now have me thinking. There's pros and cons to applying the leather straight to tge panel or using a thin sheet of some substrate. Directly to the panel would be quicker, easier and likely cheaper but hell to reverse if you ever plan to take it back to paint. As for foam, it's entirely subjective if you want it to feel squishy or if you just want it to look good. When I dig into it I'll post the process here
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 03:19 PM   #3
scottofksu

I only intend to wrap the section that is removable (i.e., the one with the door handle and window crank on it) and only after I buy replacement panels of this section to use - saving my originals in case I want to go back to paint, as Chevy nutcase described. What I am wondering is about shrinkage... No, not that kind! LOL Will the adhesive stop the leather from shrinking, thus not requiring excess on the edges to allow for shrinking, or will the leather be more prone to rip since it cant move and will any of these things happen in the foreseeable future or not until it is another 50 years older? Only time will tell!
Old 02-13-2024, 04:07 PM   #4
jweb

I don't have experience with these exact door panels but I would check the clearance between the window cranks and door handles before adding any foam.

At work, we only use foam on a few items, this works well if you plan to use any https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/130/4083/8647K102
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt

Last edited by jweb; 02-13-2024 at 04:14 PM.
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 04:52 PM   #5
64shortbox

The PO had the doors & kick panels upholstered. There was the vinyl and a matt type (cotton?) backing with a light material backing that up for the stiching to hold to the vinyl upholstery. Just in case your'e wondering I added the power windows and the A/C vents are from a 64 Chrysler.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:12 PM   #6
ChadW

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottofksu View Post
I only intend to wrap the section that is removable (i.e., the one with the door handle and window crank on it) and only after I buy replacement panels of this section to use - saving my originals in case I want to go back to paint, as Chevy nutcase described. What I am wondering is about shrinkage... No, not that kind! LOL Will the adhesive stop the leather from shrinking, thus not requiring excess on the edges to allow for shrinking, or will the leather be more prone to rip since it cant move and will any of these things happen in the foreseeable future or not until it is another 50 years older? Only time will tell!
Yes..thats all im wrapping is the removable door panel...
Old 02-13-2024, 05:16 PM   #7
ChadW

He makes it not look to tough...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMq3fcbVSoI