The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #76
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 282
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Well, good news!! Sold the old motor/trans. Posted it on FB Marketplace and it blew my phone up. In a matter of seconds, messages started pouring in. We made a grocery run and get back to the house and I had 42 messages about it. First guy that said he'd take it, flaked out and didn't show up, quit responding to messges. Second guy came to look at it instantly, decided not to take it. 3rd guy bought it and loaded it up.

So, this morning, got my order in for a 2004 5.3 engine that has 126k miles on it. All accessories, wiring, computer. Transmission is a 2007 w/ 98k miles on it. Being Thanksgiving weekend, they said they would have it pulled and ready on Monday. I'm doing a happy dance!!
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #77
biketopia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NOVA
Posts: 503
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Exciting! I've been taking advantage of black Friday sales left and right! The power of social media is crazy, I was selling my house earlier this month and wanted to sell of things cheap vs move them, I was answering messages all freaking day!
__________________
71 c-10 Long Bed, getting dropped on the ground with an LS, eventually...Scratch that, getting the 427SBC out of the Camaro

08 Sierra 1500 DOD Delete with Texas Speed and Speed Engineering parts

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #78
3767
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vale,nc
Posts: 103
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

That’s good to hear. U may want to consider changing the rear seal before u put it n. The seals are good to roughly 200k but then they start to leak. If u go this rt, then there are several good suppliers such as victor reinz. Get 1 ptfe lined. They cost a few bucks more but are better quality.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:14 AM   #79
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 282
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3767 View Post
Thatís good to hear. U may want to consider changing the rear seal before u put it n. The seals are good to roughly 200k but then they start to leak. If u go this rt, then there are several good suppliers such as victor reinz. Get 1 ptfe lined. They cost a few bucks more but are better quality.
Thanks for the tip! I'll look into it, for sure.
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #80
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 282
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

I'm going to take delivery of the new set-up this week - possibly tomorrow. While I have it on the ground in the garage, it's probably a good idea to go through it, right? Replace some gaskets and such. I'm going to borrow the hoist again to get it in the garage from the delivery truck. I can also borrow an engine stand, or buy one if I need to.

Any recommendations on what all I should look at replacing before I install it?

My list (?):
Oil pump
Oil pan (shallow-er) & gasket
Rear Main Seal
Front Main Seal (?)
Valve Cover Gaskets
Exhaust Gaskets
Water pump & gasket
Thermostat & gasket

Do I need to add the timing cover to this?
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #81
ls1nova71
Registered User
 
ls1nova71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Independence Mo
Posts: 3,920
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

If the engine you're getting has 126k miles on it, I personally wouldn't do any of that stuff to it, with the exception of the oil pan for fitment issues. I mean, if you went out and bought a 2004 Silverado, and it only had 126k miles on it, you'd think of it as a fairly low mileage vehicle these days, and you wouldn't touch it. I understand not wanting to have problems down the road, but in all likelyhood, you won't have any issues with what you listed. Water pumps generally last longer than the mileage it's at, but even so, they are an easy repair. Front and rear seals are long lasting too, unlike the old small block stuff, and there's the potential of making problems you didn't have before by improper installation of them as there is no alignment fixtures on the engine and require special tools to install. You can do them without the tools, but in my opinion at the miles the engine has, not worth the risk. When you replace the oil pan you will have to replace the pick up tube, which should come with a new O ring, replace that and be sure not to pinch or tear it in any way and you should be fine, that O ring is usually the only thing that causes people trouble on swaps. This is all my opinion however, you can spend your money any way you see fit, just throwing it out there.
__________________
My '72 short bed build. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...6-0-4l80e.html

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #82
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 282
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
If the engine you're getting has 126k miles on it, I personally wouldn't do any of that stuff to it, with the exception of the oil pan for fitment issues. I mean, if you went out and bought a 2004 Silverado, and it only had 126k miles on it, you'd think of it as a fairly low mileage vehicle these days, and you wouldn't touch it. I understand not wanting to have problems down the road, but in all likelyhood, you won't have any issues with what you listed. Water pumps generally last longer than the mileage it's at, but even so, they are an easy repair. Front and rear seals are long lasting too, unlike the old small block stuff, and there's the potential of making problems you didn't have before by improper installation of them as there is no alignment fixtures on the engine and require special tools to install. You can do them without the tools, but in my opinion at the miles the engine has, not worth the risk. When you replace the oil pan you will have to replace the pick up tube, which should come with a new O ring, replace that and be sure not to pinch or tear it in any way and you should be fine, that O ring is usually the only thing that causes people trouble on swaps. This is all my opinion however, you can spend your money any way you see fit, just throwing it out there.
I appreciate your input. I just don't want to have to worry about leaks or any issues down the road. If the rear seal will last to 200k or so, it'll be a long time before I get there in this truck. The less I have to replace, the better.

When I replace the oil pan, I know I've seen a few options. In my list, I have the H3 Hummer oil pan written down. Is that a good one to go with? As far as the pick up tube, I'm assuming I get one for the same vehicle that the pan comes from, right? Due to my lack of knowledge, would I get an oil pump, pickup tube, and pan from the same type of vehicle - whatever that may be?
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:10 PM   #83
ls1nova71
Registered User
 
ls1nova71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Independence Mo
Posts: 3,920
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Most parts on an LS engine will go 200k with ease. As for the oil pan, the Hummer pan, or the "Muscle Car" pan as GM calls it is about an inch or so shallower than the truck pan, and may hang down a tad below the crossmember depending on mounts, so as long as you're not slammed on the ground will work fine. If you buy the oil pan as a kit, the pick up tube will come with it, which is what i would recommend.
__________________
My '72 short bed build. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...6-0-4l80e.html

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #84
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 282
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Most parts on an LS engine will go 200k with ease. As for the oil pan, the Hummer pan, or the "Muscle Car" pan as GM calls it is about an inch or so shallower than the truck pan, and may hang down a tad below the crossmember depending on mounts, so as long as you're not slammed on the ground will work fine.
An inch doesn't sound like much, but I know can be a lot, as well. My truck is dropped 3.5"/5" with spindles, springs. What's a good pan to use for that? I'm assuming the truck pan won't work, but maybe it will?
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #85
ls1nova71
Registered User
 
ls1nova71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Independence Mo
Posts: 3,920
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

It depends on your mounts somewhat. The Hummer pan is what I use in my trucks that are similarly lowered and have never had any problems. If you want a shallower pan, the CTS-V pan is what you want, but it's a much more expensive pan for some reason.
__________________
My '72 short bed build. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...6-0-4l80e.html

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #86
biketopia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NOVA
Posts: 503
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

LS1 Nova hit the nail on the head. If you aren't going to open it up enough to do a cam or something, I would replace the oil pan and go on with the swap. A h3/GM muscle car pan are good options, holley 302-1 is another popular choice, as well as a 98-01 F body pan. You can find the f body pans with pick up and windage tray for like 150 bucks if you look in the right places. Also, need to source a dip stick and tube for the application the pan is for, GM made many many variations. Here is a good source of pan info https://www.improvedracing.com/gm-ls-oil-pan-dimensions

My sierra had 197k on it when I pulled the heads to swap a cam and the cylinders looks great. So I wouldn't be scared of anything on your list. Both the front and rear crank seals can be replaced easily enough on the engine, as long as you don't remove the cover, if you remove the timing or rear cover you should pick up a set of alignment tools, they're cheap and easy enough to find or rent *note install the seal AFTER aligning the cover*. I'd reuse the valve cover gaskets if you're pulling them to inspect, I have many times and they are fine. I reused water pump gaskets before and they seal up good, no reason to pull that unless you're going to pull the timing cover and r&r the oil pump, which I don't think is 100% needed. If you go that far you need a new balancer bolt, and they get torqued to like 70ftlb's then another 270*

Look at the rear most bolts on the exhaust manifolds, they always break. Pull all the bolts, others might break too. Any that do that aren't flush should back out with vise grips. Any broken off flush, weld a nut to them and pull them out, easy peasy. Dorman makes a manifold bolt kit, works great, get the metal GM style manifold gaskets, the fiber ones suck.

I'd do plugs and wires if they look OE, check the exhaust manifolds and R&R with new metal gaskets and bolts, remove the little plastic/foam cover on the back of the intake the makes it a pain in the ass to r&r the oil sender, and watch the OPS when you swing the motor in!!
__________________
71 c-10 Long Bed, getting dropped on the ground with an LS, eventually...Scratch that, getting the 427SBC out of the Camaro

08 Sierra 1500 DOD Delete with Texas Speed and Speed Engineering parts

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #87
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 282
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Thanks guys! That makes me feel better!
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #88
gmc684x4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Whitehorse yukon
Posts: 949
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

One tip I seen on manifold bolts is to tighten slightly then back off by wrench and do not use impact on them until they are all broken loose

The guy would tighten then loosen then re tighten all bolts in exhaust manifold before he would remove them his theory was keep the manafold as flat as it could be until all bolts could move and lesson binding
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #89
biketopia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NOVA
Posts: 503
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc684x4 View Post
One tip I seen on manifold bolts is to tighten slightly then back off by wrench and do not use impact on them until they are all broken loose

The guy would tighten then loosen then re tighten all bolts in exhaust manifold before he would remove them his theory was keep the manafold as flat as it could be until all bolts could move and lesson binding
Good point, definitely break all the good ones loose by hand. I've never tightened then loosened on the LS's, just get on em square, smooth even pull. If they break then usually it's just the head and a stud remover like this https://www.amazon.com/Kauplus-Metri...omotive&sr=1-8 grips them walks em right out. Dorman 03413B is what you want for the bolt kit. No need to get anything fancier than those unless you like spending money. Also GM 12617944 for the manifold gaskets, you'll need two.
__________________
71 c-10 Long Bed, getting dropped on the ground with an LS, eventually...Scratch that, getting the 427SBC out of the Camaro

08 Sierra 1500 DOD Delete with Texas Speed and Speed Engineering parts

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #90
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 282
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Took delivery of the new (to me) setup this past Thursday! I got everything with it, too. All wires, computers, hookups, O2 sensors (and the exhaust pipes they are attached to), gas pedal, front accessories - all of it.

Now, since I have no idea what I'm doing, it's time to figure out what I need to do now.

I still have to get the old crossmember out. It was welded in, so I need to figure out how to get under there and cut it out with my grinder. After that, I'm guessing I can go ahead and get the motor/trans in the truck, right? Then I can go through and wire everything and do the fuel lines/setup? Main reason I'd like to go that route - I borrowed the engine hoist, and my friend is going to need it before long to do work on one of his cars.
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #91
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 282
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Required pictures...
Attached Images
   
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #92
kev2809
low n' slo
 
kev2809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: rosenberg, texas
Posts: 4,200
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleChief View Post
Required pictures...
nice ill be following along and taking notes...i will be doing the same swap soon
__________________
67 1/2 ton Suburban - Project DRGNWGN. Build thread

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:36 PM   #93
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Posts: 23,018
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

What crossmember is welded in?
__________________
Power Steering Box Adapter Plates For Sale HERE
Power Brake Booster Adapter Brackets For Sale '63-'66 HERE and '67-'72 HERE and '60-'62 HERE and "60-'62 with clutch HERE
Rear Disc Brake Brackets For Sale. Impala SS calipers HERE Camaro Calipers HERE D52 Calipers HERE 6 Lug HERE
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #94
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 282
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
What crossmember is welded in?
Whoever did the motor/trans swap before I got it, moved the transmission crossmember and welded it to the frame - not very well, I might add. of the 4 welds that are on there, 1 on each side was broke loose already. I just need to get under there and grind off the other welds to take it out.
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:28 PM   #95
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Posts: 23,018
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

So it is the trans crossmember? Try not to ruin it as you can use it for your new engine and trans.
__________________
Power Steering Box Adapter Plates For Sale HERE
Power Brake Booster Adapter Brackets For Sale '63-'66 HERE and '67-'72 HERE and '60-'62 HERE and "60-'62 with clutch HERE
Rear Disc Brake Brackets For Sale. Impala SS calipers HERE Camaro Calipers HERE D52 Calipers HERE 6 Lug HERE
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:23 PM   #96
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 282
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
So it is the trans crossmember? Try not to ruin it as you can use it for your new engine and trans.
I thought about that, but it wasn't quite right with the 700r4 that was in it. I tried pulling the trans pan to drain the fluid and couldn't get to the rear bolts due to clearance with the crossmember. I already picked up an aftermarket member from CJ Pony Parts. Got it on a Black Friday sale for $50. It bolts in to the OEM location, but is formed to fit the 4l60e/80e transmissions - specifically for LS swaps.
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:15 AM   #97
bigmoe
Senior Member
 
bigmoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 655
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleChief View Post
I thought about that, but it wasn't quite right with the 700r4 that was in it. I tried pulling the trans pan to drain the fluid and couldn't get to the rear bolts due to clearance with the crossmember. I already picked up an aftermarket member from CJ Pony Parts. Got it on a Black Friday sale for $50. It bolts in to the OEM location, but is formed to fit the 4l60e/80e transmissions - specifically for LS swaps.
I bought one of those but ended up modifying it to more conveniently route the exhaust.
Attached Images
  
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #98
kev2809
low n' slo
 
kev2809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: rosenberg, texas
Posts: 4,200
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleChief View Post
Took delivery of the new (to me) setup this past Thursday! I got everything with it, too. All wires, computers, hookups, O2 sensors (and the exhaust pipes they are attached to), gas pedal, front accessories - all of it.

Now, since I have no idea what I'm doing, it's time to figure out what I need to do now.

I still have to get the old crossmember out. It was welded in, so I need to figure out how to get under there and cut it out with my grinder. After that, I'm guessing I can go ahead and get the motor/trans in the truck, right? Then I can go through and wire everything and do the fuel lines/setup? Main reason I'd like to go that route - I borrowed the engine hoist, and my friend is going to need it before long to do work on one of his cars.
maybe i missed it but what swap mounts for the motor will you be using?
__________________
67 1/2 ton Suburban - Project DRGNWGN. Build thread

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:00 PM   #99
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 282
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
maybe i missed it but what swap mounts for the motor will you be using?
Got some mounts from ICT Billet. I don't know anything about them, or if they are any good. But, I figured for $35, it wouldn't hurt to try them. They have multiple mounting points for forward/rear adjustment.

https://www.amazon.com/Billet-Bracke...t-items&sr=1-1
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #100
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 282
Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Got the transmission crossmember cut out over the weekend. Went to mount my adapter plates to the engine, and realized the "norm" for this process (I guess) - I'm going to have to remove the a/c compressor. I knew it would be an issue, as I've read about it before, but I was hopeful that I would get lucky.

Anyway, I think that's all I need to do, right. Pull the a/c compressor and bracket, pull the exhaust manifolds off, and fit the motor in?
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com