The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Bob Magana

Bob's 1965 GMC build thread

First off lemme start by saying this is by far the best truck forum i've been on! You guys and your threads make my day a work go by so slow because I want to go home and work on my truck. But then again, some of your threads make my day go faster (ie the hours I spent reading Alan's thread HAHA)

I have a 1965 GMC truck that my grandfather bought new! I have the receipt, I need to scan it to show you all. He owned until the late 1980s. During his time of owning the truck, he was in a crash in it (I dont know what damage was done to it because it is in great shape) and I have the newspaper article on the crash (no pic of the crash though). That happened in the late 60s. Then in 1979 he let a friend borrow it for a week and that guy blew the engine. That engine stayed in until I blew it.

My father was the next to own it. He used it as a daily driver to go from Santa Paula (my hometown) to Santa Barbara. Which I belive its a 45 mile trip one way. It then became stored under a carport at my parents house in 1997 and sort of became a trash can. It sat there until 2005 when I became the new owner of the truck!

I was living the next town over and decided to get it towed over there. One of the brake drums were lock. So we got it unlocked. Hammer!!. Then it sat for a year and I moved back to my hometown. The truck went back to my parents house. The engine wouldn't start. so I cleaned the fuel lines, replaced the vacuum advance line, and rebuilt the carb. Now it starts. I get it registered. Drive it around town with no problems!! I deiced to drive it to work. A 16 mile drive. On the way back home I start to hear a knocking. I knew what was going on! So I pull over and BOOM! I dont think I need to explain what it was.

Truck gets towed to my parents house where its sits. Im looking online for a new engine but everyone wants an arm and a leg for a inline six. My buddy asks me what was up with my truck. I told him I have no engine and He says he knows a guy with a stright 6 for $200. Which I had. I picked it up brought it home. And then sat for 6 more months

Which brings me to now, My buddy Mike and I are ready to do this! We're on a limited budget so and help on saving money it always appreciated! Plus we have very limited auto skills, so help there as well! I have quite a few pics of the last few days we've been working on it. So I have my pics on photobucket and the links go to a slide show of each day. Now with captions included!

DAY 1:link

DAY 2:link

DAY 3:link

DAY 4:link

Thanks guys! Long post and I'm sorry!

Last edited by Bob Magana; 08-16-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Bob Magana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Re: Bob's 1965 GMC build thread

Hey-- a new thread- Looking good Thanks for the pictures Trucks that have been in the family are special so enjoy the project!
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
Bob Magana

Thanks Bubba! I know how this forum loves their pics. It means so much more when its in the family.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Welcome Aboard from Astoria, OR!

Glad to see another GMC owner and, yes, it's always cooler to have a family truck that's been passed down. Just make sure one day that your kid gets it....
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That's cool that the truck has been in your family since it was new. Not many people can say that.

Looks like you're already deep into tearing apart your truck. If you have any questions there's bound to be someone here that can help you.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 08-17-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

and welcome aboard. Cool story and history. Stay focused by posting progress and letting us know if you need help.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Bob Magana

Thanks guys! You all rock!!