The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
chip46wis

1954 nova clip install

Ok just asking for those that have experience with this. I MAY use a 1970 nova clip on my 1954 1/2 ton. I have had clipped trucks but this is MY first doing myself..YES I have welding experience (certified) and some fab work. My BIGGEST question is how does one keep everything straight? such as the straight line down the frame so it isnt in a v shape looking at the side? Wheelbase I can handle ok but I have seen trucks that the frame was obviously lower on one side than the other at the clip one had spring spacers on one spring to compensate! .How can I check all these angles ect without a jig or frame rack. Safety is a concern and certainly alignment. THANK YOU!!!!!

PS I have the no limit engineering DVD but I think thats for 55 1/2 up mine again 54.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: 1954 nova clip install

years ago I built a new back 3/4 frame for a truck and used the stock front suspension clip so almost exactly like you are asking, and the way I did it (on an uneven floor even!) was I leveled the frame and welded legs from the floor to the sides of the frame so that it would always be level. then I scribed a level line on the side of the frame so I would always have a level reference. maybe even weld a tab on the scribe line so you can just put a bubble level on the tab without needing to hold it up.

I think if you did the same, leveled the nova clip and scribed a line on it, and leveled your frame and scribed a line on it, you would be able to adjust the height of the clip and still keep both parts level. to adjust the clip I keep a couple scissor jacks handy from the trucks I part out and it makes it easy to raise things very precisely.

dont forget to have a couple points on both parts to measure longitudinally and diagonally to keep it square. never underestimate the usefulness of a plumb line and drawing chalk lines on a concrete floor too!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
chip46wis

Joedoh excellent points on welding legs to the frame! I assume???? that the top part of a subframe is level and square? Thank you! anyone else with pionts? tips?
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #4
mr48chev

One thing I found out is that if you block your frame up at the ride height you want when you are done. and block the subframe up at it's stock ride height (about 6-12 inches off the shop floor. you end up with a nice riding rig with full suspension under it.

When I did mine and I don't know how I managed it but I ended up with it so the stock core support sat on that front crossmember that the sway bars bolt to and I only had to use a piece of rubber and a thin shim to get it set right.

Bad part and the reason I will never do another subframe swap on anything is you end up trimming the tar out of the front end sheet metal to get things to clear.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote