The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
harrij4

3-Time Blazer Owner, 1st Time 1st-Gen Buyer - Thoughts on Real World Prices?

Hey all, in my life I've had a '79, '84, and '90 K5 but I've always lusted after 1st gen models. Well, I'm finally on the cusp of taking the plunge. But, I'm wondering what folks are thinking about "real world" prices for nice examples. Specifically, I'm looking at a truck as follows:

1972 K5, All original bodywork
Excellent Med Blue paint in 5' condition
Hard top (lineX inside & out)
2x Softtopper Soft Tops
New Ramjet 350 Crate w/New Serpentine Drive System
New 700R4 Crate
New A/C
New instrument cluster
Corbeau buckets up front, and bench in rear (wish it was the original interior)
Hydro boost brakes
Axles and diffs gone through with new shafts & gears
New rear drive shaft
New cross-over steering
New ball joints
New power steering
New Lift
New Tires

There are a few pictures attached to this post. Seems like a nice truck, but it's tough to tell what they're really selling for. I'd really appreciate any thoughts on what you all think a fair market price is.
Attached Images

harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
SeventyOne

Re: 3-Time Blazer Owner, 1st Time 1st-Gen Buyer - Thoughts on Real World Prices?

Whats the owner asking for it? Looks to be a solid truck...

Easily 15k but probably more would be my conservative response. Interested in what others say.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
simicrintz

Re: 3-Time Blazer Owner, 1st Time 1st-Gen Buyer - Thoughts on Real World Prices?

Subscribed.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
mrtoni

$29,900
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
harrij4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
Whats the owner asking for it? Looks to be a solid truck...

Easily 15k but probably more would be my conservative response. Interested in what others say.
Owner has it listed as $30k OBO. I looked through the historical results of Mecum, Barret Jackson, Greenboro, and a couple other auction houses PLUS the ones on eBay that actually sold. Those results suggest he's probably not far off given the condition of the truck and the work that's been done. But a sanity check is in order.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 PM   #6
harrij4

My gut says $24k is a fair price, but you guys have been in this world longer than me. Can't wait to join the club though!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:27 AM   #7
Blazerowner

I think it depends on what you want. Is it the lift, color, wheels and tires you want etc.? I have to say I have about 15k in the engine and trans in mine. I am in the middle of installing an offroad design lift kit which is around $2500. I have easily 3k into the interior at this point just in the seats, carpet and console. Needless to say it adds up to build these. I would say I have 30k into mine.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
rsavage

Although I personally don't like the linex, it looks like a nice truck. If t is well done, he will have close to or more than what he is asking in it. Think about what you will want to do to it - i.e. stock interior or soft top and see if you can negotiate the price down somewhat to help cover those expenses. Good luck.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #9
A1971Blazer

In the current market....that's a realistic price.

It looks like very solid and definitely has a nice stance and look....
the upgraded drive train would be very desirable....the Ramjet alone is worth 6K with the serpentine drive....

In my opinion, there is probably a lot more than 30K invested in it...and it would be difficult to build one to that level for 30K
Depends on.....if you really want it, and it's in your budget...
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

Looks nice... i'd say shoot him your price... he will most likely deal with you... maybe not that low but somewhere in between...
Im also interested which corbeau rear seat that is... ive been thinking about order one as i have the same front seats as whats in there but all the seats sounded really narrow... but i dont mind that look at all... you have more pics of the seats/interior?
Evil Twin - 2006 Suzuki M109R
EvilDmax- 2018 GMC 2500 Denali Duramax
chevyguy_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #11
hemi43

30K sounds reasonable, but difficult to tell from a couple pictures. Not sure how good the body and paint is, but the panel gaps don't look to be the greatest which usually determines how much time/effort was put into the restoration. I wouldn't let mine go for less than 40K.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
Blazerowner

Check out PRP for a rear seat. They custom build them to width. That’s what I have in mine right now and it’s almost perfect. I probably would have went another 2 inches wider but it was hard to tell when I measured it at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy_72 View Post
Looks nice... i'd say shoot him your price... he will most likely deal with you... maybe not that low but somewhere in between...
Im also interested which corbeau rear seat that is... ive been thinking about order one as i have the same front seats as whats in there but all the seats sounded really narrow... but i dont mind that look at all... you have more pics of the seats/interior?
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #13
harrij4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy_72 View Post
Here are a few more shots of the interior. I know Corbeau offers that rear bucket in different widths, but I don't know what width is currently installed. IMO it looks too narrow.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #14
harrij4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
Although I personally don't like the linex, it looks like a nice truck. If t is well done, he will have close to or more than what he is asking in it. Think about what you will want to do to it - i.e. stock interior or soft top and see if you can negotiate the price down somewhat to help cover those expenses. Good luck.
I feel on the LineX. Worst thing is, it was evidently white, and in great shape - dude just wanted to lineX it...ugh
Old 08-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #15
SeventyOne

Curious what dictates the value here. What would you need to see to say this is a 40k truck? 50k? 60k+?
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
Curious what dictates the value here. What would you need to see to say this is a 40k truck? 50k? 60k+?
Just my 2¢....needs more of the original stuff, seats, steering wheel, etc....CST package or special edition (Highlander).......also the LS swapped ones seem to bring more...
It does look nice but a close-up inspection and test drive would be in order for sure.

I got this one recently....black one...not perfect but very nice....price was very close....
Name:  IMG_2397.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  60.1 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #17
harrij4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
Just my 2¢....needs more of the original stuff, seats, steering wheel, etc....CST package or special edition (Highlander).......also the LS swapped ones seem to bring more...
It does look nice but a close-up inspection and test drive would be in order for sure.

I got this one recently....black one...not perfect but very nice....price was very close....
Attachment 1809923
I'm flying out next week to take a look at the truck, 'cause like you said, up close and in the driver's seat is the place to make the decision. Guy seems willing to play ball. But, I appreciate everyone here giving me some confidence that unless it turns out to be a mess in person, a negotiated price below $30k doesn't seem out of line.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #18
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrij4 View Post
Here are a few more shots of the interior. I know Corbeau offers that rear bucket in different widths, but I don't know what width is currently installed. IMO it looks too narrow.
Pretty sure its the widest option they sell... but i thought the same...
Old 08-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #19
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

Pics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
Check out PRP for a rear seat. They custom build them to width. That’s what I have in mine right now and it’s almost perfect. I probably would have went another 2 inches wider but it was hard to tell when I measured it at the time.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #20
72 CO Blazer

I've been closely tracking 1st generation 4WD Blazer values for a few years and I am also in the final stages of finishing up a restoration on my '72. I constantly have my eye on auctions, dealer listings, and individuals who have posted their own ads. It’s important to note that there has been a fairly wide spread in the quality of Blazers that have gone through various auctions. Note the ones with wildly high prices encountered scenarios where the vehicles were really well done and two or more driven bidders were in attendance.

Blazer values have steadily increased over the last 3-4 years (along with many vintage 4WDs) and have been identified as decent "investments" in a handful of articles.

At the bottom end of the market are the Blazers that need a full restoration and are either not running or not road worthy. Most of the time these Blazers have rust issues and/or they will have a plethora of "fixes" or modifications from prior owners that need to be unwound. Blazers in this category can be found across the country anywhere from $1,500-$4,500(ish). The exact value of these Blazers are largely determined by their completeness and the extent of rust issues. Many of the vehicles at the low end of this range are worth more if they are parted out.

The next level would be an un-restored Blazer that runs and is road worthy. You can find a lot of these in the $5,000 - $14,000(ish) range. These trucks will range anywhere from someone's off-road toy to a daily driver. The prices here will be determined by the Blazer's completeness, rust issues, panel condition, etc.

From the mid-teens to $25,000(ish), you can find a fair amount of Blazers that are either really solid and complete (installed parts-wise) survivors or have had some level of a restoration. When you inch higher within this price range, the Blazer should either be rust free or have had all the rust issues properly addressed. These Blazers are not perfect and the value will largely be determined by how well it fits the buyer’s needs. In most cases the buyer will be planning on putting some amount of additional money into it.

From $25,000 to $35,000(ish) you’ll begin to see more reputable dealer listings and you should expect a rust free Blazer with some higher level of a thoughtful restoration. These Blazers should be fully functional and complete vehicles. Within this range you begin to be a little more picky and start adding/deducting for specific items depending on the buyer’s desires.

From $35,000 to $220,000 (Barrett Jackson Palm Beach 2017) you have well done restorations with either correct parts or very well thought out upgrades (i.e. LS engines, etc.) with a very high attention to detail. Blazers at this level should not need anything additional done to them.

As far as adding or deducting, examples of things that folks who know Blazers well may place additional value in:
- Correct parts
- A/C
- Uncut dash
- Original interiors (Highlander interiors drive an even higher premium)
- Hickey (era-correct aftermarket parts)
- Tow hooks
- CST Trim Level
- Factory tachometer
- Other unique SPID combinations / related options

Items that really depend on an individual buyer’s preference (could add more $$ or could take away $$):
- Exterior and interior color combinations
- Manual vs. automatic transmission
- Wheel and tire combinations (factory vs. aftermarket)
- A suspension lift vs. factory height
- Radio (factory vs. aftermarket)

Areas that folks not familiar with Blazers should inspect closely and be fully aware of (red flags especially at higher levels):
- Rot/rust in the windshield frame (used rust free windshield frames are becoming hard to come by)
- Missing or rusted through torsion boxes

My learning lessons from being close to finishing a restoration:
- Either you need to have the time, tools, and expertise to do it yourself or be prepared to pay a fair hourly rate for a professional to do it.
- You’ll rarely have work come in below the estimate.
- Once you get into rust repair, you usually find more as you dig into it
- Parts add up quick. Shipping those parts (especially oversize) gets expensive as well.
- You’ll spend a ton of time staring at the factory assembly manual. There is a lot of information contained in this forum. It will quickly become your best friend.

As for the Blazer that you are looking at, and from the information provided it seems that it is priced appropriate for the Denver market. Looking at the pictures, and in my opinion it’s not in the $35k plus category. If you like the color of the single wall top, I wouldn’t consider the Linex coating a big deal. If you hate it, you could easily sell it for ~$1,500. As far as the original seats, it may cost you $1,000 for a set of sport buckets and a rear bench that need to be recovered. PUI covers will set you back ~$500 and it will be ~$400 for a professional to install the covers. I’m sure you could easily sell the existing ones in it to someone on the forum. I agree with the other post that gaps are a big indication of the quality of body work/paint. For Blazers in the highest category, they should be either perfect or close to it. When you look at a lot of the Blazers below the highest category, you will spot issues. Blazers are notoriously challenging to get the gaps right. So long as the gaps are not egregious, I wouldn’t expect perfection at that price point. I also agree that with what is listed as having been done to this particular, the owner likely has a fair bit of money in it and/or a lot of time.

Outside of all of this, the true test is seeing what else is in the market at the same price point. How do you think it compares to Blazers in the $25k-$30k range?
72 CO Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #21
hemi43

Here's something to ponder.
We are fortunate to be enthusiasts in Blazers/Jimmys, as these will only increase in value in the future. There's not too many vehicles out there that fall into this category, so in reality you can't lose. If you spend 30K on that Blazer, all you're doing is tying up a bit a cash for a few years while you enjoy it. Eventually, you will sell it and you'll get all your money ( and then some) back out of it.
I've mentioned it before, but that's why I sold my street rod because the writing is on the wall for the old cars. Most car enthusiasts are over 70 years old, and in a few years the market will be flooded with their cars and there will be no market for them. Our trucks won't be affected by this because the upcoming generation want them and supply will never meet the demand. If I had the money and hindsight, I should be buying every Blazer that comes up for sale.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:09 AM   #22
tristan

This is an extremely informative and well-reasoned market analysis, thank you for taking the time to share it. Your price data is very encouraging to me after having just endured the hassle and expense of a four year long professional restoration of my 1971 Jimmy.

[QUOTE=72 CO Blazer;8319608]I've been closely tracking 1st generation 4WD Blazer values for a few years and I am also in the final stages of finishing up a restoration on my '72. I constantly have my eye on auctions, dealer listings, and individuals who have posted their own ads. It’s important to note that there has been a fairly wide spread in the quality of Blazers that have gone through various auctions. Note the ones with wildly high prices encountered scenarios where the vehicles were really well done and two or more driven bidders were in attendance.
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #23
harrij4

Really well written. Thanks for taking the time to provide this information and perspective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 CO Blazer View Post
I've been closely tracking 1st generation 4WD Blazer values for a few years and I am also in the final stages of finishing up a restoration on my '72. I constantly have my eye on auctions, dealer listings, and individuals who have posted their own ads. It’s important to note that there has been a fairly wide spread in the quality of Blazers that have gone through various auctions. Note the ones with wildly high prices encountered scenarios where the vehicles were really well done and two or more driven bidders were in attendance.

Last edited by harrij4; 08-11-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #24
harrij4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 CO Blazer View Post

Outside of all of this, the true test is seeing what else is in the market at the same price point. How do you think it compares to Blazers in the $25k-$30k range?
This is of course the question. From what I've seen, monitoring the market for a few months and looking at examples that have sold, and having yet to truly inspect the vehicle in person, this truck matches up well against things that have sold in the $25k range, but comes up a little short in the $30k range. There seem to be a lot of "askers" around $30k, but not many sales happening at that price.

This specific truck has a lot of things that are important to me given that I actually want to drive the truck. The more modern power train, new AC, crossover steering, brake boostetc.... Will all be really great for driveability. Plus, those are NOT cheap upgrades. Layer on the fact that he has a soft top and hard top (lots of listings only have one, or have no top at all!), and that from some undercarriage shots the owner sent it looks like the body panels are all original (adds to the long-term value of the truck), and I think at about $26k it's a good buy.

But, we'll see. Thanks again to everyone who's weighed in here. If nothing else, it's good to know that there's a strong community out there for when I do finally get a truck, whether it's the one in question here or some other rig in the future.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #25
71BUCKET

All what has been typed is exactly what I am encountering. Have had a few c10s and trying to find a first gen blazer lately has frustrated me to the point of questioning if I even want one. Just looking for an original paint cst without cut dash/doors, Not red or orange. Not a single one in the southeast. Of course any listing I do find is met with “do research i know what it’s worth restored”.
71BUCKET is offline   Reply With Quote