The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
chevyman95

Going to look at a truck tomorrow.

Going to look at an AD truck tomorrow that is already on an s10 extended cab frame. It doesn't run right now but owner says it is close to running. What should I look for as far as the frame swap is concerned? I really don't want to buy a hackjob. That is my main concern. Thanks!
chevyman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Re: Going to look at a truck tomorrow.

If it is on an X cab frame, it's already something to think about. Is it shortened? If so, what wheel base? If so, HOW? Did they do a good job on the frame welds? Look at the body mounts. Are they something you'd trust? Are there rubbers or hard mounts to the body? Do the doors open and close well? If they cut the seat riser out, it loses some of the stiffness, I've got a cab that moves when the doors open and close because the floor isn't strong enough. I have to fix that.

How is the steering box/rad clearance taken care of?

What is the wiring? S10 cobbed or new?

Inner fenders?

Scrub line?

I've done one and am starting a second. I've seen some good ones and run away from some bad ones. Just puting a POS body on an S10 frame is NOT the best way to make a truck!!
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Am I being too negative?

I guess I go in with a crap attitude and let the positives of the truck bring me around. If the guy doesn't seem capable, the truck probably isn't worth while. Look at his other projects!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
chevyman95

haha yeah we think the same, I already think I am probably going to walk on this one but it is close so I figured I would at least take a look. What exactly is the seat riser?
chevyman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Seat riser is what some call the tool box under the seat. It helps stiffen the floor, it would appear!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
mr48chev

Dan brings up a lot of good points.

I'd add how and what they used to mount the cab and box.

I think he mentioned it but over all fit and finish of the whole thing. Are any brackets he made finished off or just hacked off metal welded or bolted on.

The seat riser thing never crossed my mind before and I have cut them out on my trucks for years so that is one that needs to be looked at. But it makes sense that anytime you remove a piece of structure you need to figure out how to add some strength back into the rig.

The frame thing is a big one in that "how did he shorten the frame if he did?" Sawed off and butt welded with no reinforcement doesn't cut it.

I also always figure that one has to consider what it would cost you if you started with raw material and got a project up to that state. Would it be more expedient to buy a decent AD truck and an S-10 for the frame and do your own right then buy his if it looks like there are things that you need to redo?
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote