The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #26
SeventyOne

Re: The "In over my head" build thread

So I went looking for pics of other Blazers that had did frame off restorations and I realized this crossmember is an added piece for that custom hitch that was put in......

Name:  IMG_4092.JPG
Views: 2568
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4094.JPG
Views: 2549
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4104.JPG
Views: 2455
Size:  84.4 KB

I thought it was factory until I saw it wasn't held on by rivets or bolts like everything else on the frame. Question is should I leave it in or remove it? I'm leaning towards cutting it out.

Also does anyone local (East Bay Area, Ca) know of a good media/sand blaster? I am having a hard time finding ANYONE...
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #27
tomtuna1978

your not gonna use it rite ? ... cut it out !
tomtuna1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #28
SeventyOne

Update 2.28

Ok so I didn't get as much done as I wanted with it raining until noon but nevertheless it's progress..

My brother - So young... so ambitious.....
Name:  IMG_2404.jpg
Views: 2816
Size:  82.4 KB

I let him do all the dirty work
Name:  IMG_2402.jpg
Views: 2817
Size:  92.6 KB

Anyways We pulled the engine out with no hassle at all - got some grade 8 hardware to mount the carb plate and for the engine stand mounting bolts, removed the exhaust manifold bolts (all came out SUPER easy ), the power steering lines, and the NASTY motor mounts and started cranking on the hoist.

Name:  IMG_2405.JPG
Views: 2586
Size:  73.7 KB

Got it on the stand
Name:  IMG_2409.jpg
Views: 2531
Size:  92.2 KB

And there was a nearly drivetrain-less frame.
Name:  IMG_2410.JPG
Views: 2550
Size:  70.2 KB

Was still light out so I wanted to try to get the axles out and have a bare frame, everything else came out so easy, why not?

Buddy and I tackled the front, popped the pitman-arm-tierod-thingy off the curvey-steering-arm-doohickey (technical terms) and unbolted the gear box. Got the impact wrench on the leaf spring bolts, unbolted the top shackle bolt, cut those old rubber brake lines and out the front axle rolled suspension and all.

The rear-end wasn't as fun...While we were getting the front out my brother and another friend were struggling with ALL 4 rear suspension bolts (front hanger and bottom shackle bolt). Impact wouldn't budge them so standing and bouncing on a 4' breaker bar moved them just enough to get the nuts off - "Cool we thought - that's not so bad".

The nuts may be off but now the bolts are just stuck in the bushings - managed to remove 1 with an aluminum drift and an hammer but the others are stuck. They will turn but I'm guessing the bushing is turning also? Thinking I need to pick up a 5lb sledge and take a crack at them and I don't really care about damaging the bolts since new hardware will be installed anyways.

Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #29
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Burn the bushings out. Just use a torch and light 'em up. Cut the bolts off if you need to.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #30
SeventyOne

Don't have a torch but if it comes to that I can pick one up...
Old 03-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #31
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

You only need a propane soldering torch to get those burning. It might need to be done regardless because that's the easiest way to do it when your replacing the bushings.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #32
SeventyOne

one of the little blue ones (at least the ones I see are always blue) about a foot long?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #33
lks dcvn

pic
Attached Images

lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #34
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

That's it. We're not BS'ing you. It has it in the instructions for replacing bushings.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #35
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
That's it. We're not BS'ing you. It has it in the instructions for replacing bushings.
Haha well Ill give it a try - going to try to whack them out first then I'll use a little heat........
Old 03-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #36
SeventyOne

No luck burning them out. They smolder and smoke and kinda fall/scrape away but the bolt it still stuck in there. Tried to cut the head off the bolt and it just seemed to dull my saw blades...

Any other techniques?

Rather than get frustrated I moved on to tearing down the front axle.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #37
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

You can use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel or a die grinder. I've never been shy about using a bigger hammer.

Also, check out the 4x4 section on the board and post a question there. Almost all of those guys have replaced springs and have the experience.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:17 AM   #38
SeventyOne

Ya bigger hammer is next then the grinder these F'ers are coming out one way or another.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 AM   #39
mikegarvin34

this will free up the bolt

mikegarvin34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #40
SeventyOne

is that a mini oxy-acetalyn torch? Pretty Cool...
Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #41
SeventyOne

Update 3.17.10

So with the recent struggles I had removing the leaf spring bolts I FINALLY have a solution...

Tried a hammer to knock them out - worked on one, other 3 didn't budge
Tried a torch on the rubber bushings - got them nice and smokey but the bolts stayed put
Tried a 5lb sledge to knock them out - this was sort of successful. It move the bolts until the end of the bolt was flush with the bracket and there was nothing to hit

Finally I got tired of conventional methods and out came the tools of destruction.

Grinder with a cutoff wheel - skillsaw with a metal blade, reciprocating saw, and the pneumatic cutoff made short work of the bolts, cutting the rear shackles in half and the leaf spring u-bolts.

Duceducenine stopped by to lend a hand with the cutting (thanks again) - I gave the springs to him to help him out with one of his many projects. I also noticed his side marker was smashed so I hooked him up with a spare I had taken off my Blazer.

Anyways, I can finally get the 12bolt out of there and sold (hopefully) and get the 14bolt ready to put under the frame. Also need to swap the Dana 44 to 8 lug, clean and paint the frame and axles then I'm back to a rolling chassis! Then all I need to do is........
Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #42
Classic383

Sweet! Yup I remember burning those bushing out. Had them in flames, almost melting. Alotta Hell!! Thanks for the motivation! I will definitely be following your thread.
Classic383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #43
duceducenine

whats up chris any progress????
thanks for the spring they went in
easily now for replacing the shocks....
still got the exhaust? tires?
might be interested still......
duceducenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #44
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceducenine View Post
whats up chris any progress????
thanks for the spring they went in
easily now for replacing the shocks....
still got the exhaust? tires?
might be interested still......
Hey Jay - glad the springs worked out. Progress is slow recently. Major yardwork was needed and then my younger dog turned out to be an escape artist so I needed to rebuild a section of fence in the yard. Looking to get back out there this weekend to remove all the old fuel/brake lines and start to get into the axles.

I've got the shocks I took off my Blazer - I assume they're still good...

Exhaust and tires - still have it; need to get rid off them. I'm looking to re-coop some money on these items if possible. Shoot me a PM if you want em.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #45
DANTES JIMMY

Always always remember the ultimate emancipator
sawzall!!!!!!!
DANTES JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #46
SeventyOne

Yup - probably my favorite tool to use aside from the impact wrench.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #47
SeventyOne

update coming tonight
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #48
NW_Ryker

I'm excited to see how this truck will turn out. I hope you don't mud her too hard though. Are you putting the same motor/ tranny/ t-case in?
NW_Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #49
SeventyOne

Update 9.22.10

Can't believe it's been 5 months since my last update. Not too much to show but here's the progress since my last update.

Got a lot of the excess metal cut off the frame that a PO had welded in for a hitch (pic of the massive pile of scrap metal to come). Still a little more to come out but I ran out of saw blades and cut-off discs.

Trying to keep making progress I turned to the axles - got all the brackets cut off of the 14bolt (shock tabs and spring pads), got the disc brake setup mocked in place, and bolted on the wheels and tires - I think it looks sick! Even better everything clear and fits!
Name:  IMG_4897.JPG
Views: 2201
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4899.JPG
Views: 2215
Size:  82.3 KB

With my spirits high I started tearing into the Dana 44. It's nasty and greasy and my first time disassembling an axle - tons of fun!
Got it all blown apart and looking at what I needed next. Starting amassing parts (8 lug rotors, big bearing spindles, bearings, 3/4 ton brake backing plates, spindle studs and nuts, ball joints, new hubs) and then set out to clean this greasy pig. Done and ready for paint!
Name:  IMG_4900.JPG
Views: 2217
Size:  82.5 KB

Got the knuckles and caliper brackets done too.
Name:  IMG_4901.JPG
Views: 2175
Size:  80.4 KB

Now I turn to the frame - still need to cut out some left over metal, cut off the old shackle hangers so the ORD shackle flip can go on, then clean and paint the frame. Then bolt all my junk together! Im getting pumped at the thought of having a rolling chassis again!

I also picked up some other parts along the way - DIY4X 1st gen engine crossmember, cross tied shackles, 14bolt spring pads, and Alcan lift springs. Have an order placed for all the other misc. parts to get to a roller again (bushings, bolts, etc).

I guess when you summarize what you've been doing the last 5 months it seems like more progress...
Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #50
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW_Ryker View Post
I'm excited to see how this truck will turn out. I hope you don't mud her too hard though. Are you putting the same motor/ tranny/ t-case in?
Sad to say my plans for her don't include a whole lot of dirt time - but as the newness wears off and the paint dulls I'm sure my mind will change.

Speaking of the engine......I got ripped off by a company on the east coast for the engine they were supposedly building for me. T&L Engine took my deposit of $3K and ran off into the sunset. So my budget is now out the window (which is why you will see a spray painted frame rather than a blasted an powdercoated frame among other cost savers). Anyways I am thinking of these 3 engines now: GMPP 350 (either carbed or ramjet version) or their HT383. Tranny will be a 700r4 (I noticed Monster Trans. dropped thier prices on the one they offer by a few hundred so I might jump on that now. Tcase will be the stock NP205 after I go through it.