The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
Ironhorse

Van/Truck Below Eye Line Mirrors-Interchangable?

Curious about this. Have what I think are the below the eye line mirrors for a van but not sure. Will post pics later today of what I have. Would the van mirrors mount to the door the same on trucks or vans?

Also, what is the proper sequence for assembly using the steel washers and the nylon spacer washers so the mirror arm and the mirror head will swing and pivot up and down as needed. What I have came in a box completely dis-assembled, no hard ware. Was able to find steel washers and found correct nylon/plastic spacer washers but can't seem to come up with right combination of washers and spacers to properly seat the acorn nuts tight.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
FirstOwner69

Re: Van/Truck Below Eye Line Mirrors-Interchangable?

The first 3 pictures below are of the '72 only version and show the correct washer arrangement. I also have some pictures of these showing arm measurements if you need them.

The last picture is of the earlier '69-'72 version. I have a couple sets of these that are slightly different but the door hole locations are the same.

I don't think the van mirrors were the same.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Ironhorse

Thanks for the reply. Some pics I have of the mirrors in question. Got them assembled but still unsure about the brackets. When I got these they were really grungy, dirty and a lot of flaking old white paint. Since had nothing to loose with them decided to glass bead, prime, sand, re-prime and paint. Wish I had taken some before the process pics. Bead blast and paint made a HUGE difference in them. Besides being painted and not the SS as your pics show it seems they are very similar to the '72 mirrors with the exception of the lone door support brace. Has a bit of a twist in it, maybe done to fit other than a GM '72 truck door? Not sure about that. Mirror glass do have a few light marks and some small amount of haze at very bottom of the glass. Coded at bottom: 4-D-2 and 7-D-2

Appreciate any thought on them or info you can give me. "Think" they could be tweaked to mount to truck doors as all the tube bends are "close" but no cigar. Would make a good set of driver mirrors if not hung up about being original to the truck I would think.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 06-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
FirstOwner69

Those look like the same style as the stainless mirrors I saw on a '79 van that I got a tilt column and a mirror head from. The only visual difference is that those on the van I looked at had bolts rather than studs with acorn nuts. I found a lot of similar elbows with varying leg lengths on vans as well as some Ford trucks into the 90s, but they all had female threads rather than studs. The shiny ones were of stainless vs. the chrome originals that rust. I made studs from bolts and bought some chrome acorn nuts which were the only ones I could find with the correct shape. The van mirrors also had elbows with the shorter horizontal leg like yours which is kind of nice since it tucks the head in a little closer to the door without reducing the field of view a whole lot on the passenger side.

Here is a picture showing the '72 truck mirror base dimensions.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 06-19-2018 at 12:21 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
Ironhorse

Thanks for the reply and the pics. Interesting about the difference in the arms. Kinda wondering if these painted mirrors could be adapted for use on 67-72 truck doors. Looks as if the mirror heads and the lower A shaped bracket are the same as in your picture. Measuring the A bracket, the distance between the holes is 8'' instead of 7''. The short arm with the slight twist seems different also.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks