The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
atm70chevy

Accelerator pedal question

I have a 1970 C10 and am having a heck of a time finding the correct replacement accelerator. I ordered a 1970 pedal without doing any research and it is a floor mount pedal. My pedal does not mount to the floor so I thought someone must have changed it over to a 71/72 style pedal so I ordered one of those. It's not right cause the hole in the back of the pedal is much to small to fit on the rod. I was looking in the LMC catalog and saw they have two different style pedals available for a 70, one floor mount and one is not. Does anyone know if there were two different pedal available then???

Here is the link for the pedals from LMC. #12 is the pedal I think could be the one I need. http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=51

Thanks for everyone's help.....
atm70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
Auroch

Re: Accelerator pedal question

Yeah that #12 should be the one, but you have to make sure you still have the 2 bottom bolts that hold that pad on the floor. Like you said, the person that upgraded it to a modern style pedal may have eliminated the bolts and holes.

I went with Lokar pedals and I will say the difference was amazing, not to mention it looks great. You probably have the setup already in place to plug and play. Just throwing it out there, it's definitely not cheap.

Here's the throttle pedal I used: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar...bly,67681.html

Of course you have to add the throttle cable... and then you'll want to use their kickdown cable, carburetor bracket... and then you're broke, wife screaming at you... I'll stop now.
Auroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
GMCRanchTruck

Personally I have never seen the pedal not mounted to the floor of a 70, so that leads me to believe that it was changed out at some point. As Auroch pointed out Lokar offers upgraded replacements for our trucks that might be the better choice since its already been changed out. #7 and #12 are the correct replacements for our truck, 7 being hard plastic (don't use this one) and 12 being a hardened rubber.

He also mentions that the difference is amazing, I have not used one, so I do not know what could be so different, but I think I'm going to get one now to find out for myself.
GMCRanchTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Auroch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCRanchTruck View Post
Personally I have never seen the pedal not mounted to the floor of a 70, so that leads me to believe that it was changed out at some point. As Auroch pointed out Lokar offers upgraded replacements for our trucks that might be the better choice since its already been changed out. #7 and #12 are the correct replacements for our truck, 7 being hard plastic (don't use this one) and 12 being a hardened rubber.

He also mentions that the difference is amazing, I have not used one, so I do not know what could be so different, but I think I'm going to get one now to find out for myself.
Nice! Let me know what you think about it. I know "amazing" sounds like hyperbole, but going from an old, crusty floor pedal, to this new system stands up to the statement.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
atm70chevy

So the #12 in the picture will use the 2 little studs also?? Here a few pictures of what I have...

The few pictures are of the pedal and rod that came out of the truck. The next is the 70 pedal pad, which is obviously not right and the last is of the 71-72 pedal pad.

Thanks for the help so far.

Anthony
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #6
atm70chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroch View Post
Yeah that #12 should be the one, but you have to make sure you still have the 2 bottom bolts that hold that pad on the floor. Like you said, the person that upgraded it to a modern style pedal may have eliminated the bolts and holes.

I went with Lokar pedals and I will say the difference was amazing, not to mention it looks great. You probably have the setup already in place to plug and play. Just throwing it out there, it's definitely not cheap.

Here's the throttle pedal I used: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar...bly,67681.html

Of course you have to add the throttle cable... and then you'll want to use their kickdown cable, carburetor bracket... and then you're broke, wife screaming at you... I'll stop now.

Yeah I don't need her screaming at me..... But I would gladly pay $150 if I could this thing figured out!! Now I have two different brand new pedal pads with trim and doesn't look like either one will work. Was the Lokar pedal a pretty simple install? I already have a Lokar throttle cable and kickdown cable.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
Auroch

Quote:
Originally Posted by atm70chevy View Post
Yeah I don't need her screaming at me..... But I would gladly pay $150 if I could this thing figured out!! Now I have two different brand new pedal pads with trim and doesn't look like either one will work. Was the Lokar pedal a pretty simple install? I already have a Lokar throttle cable and kickdown cable.
If you have the cables already then yeah man, get the Lokar. It was very simple. From what I remember, you have to make three holes on the firewall to run the bolts that hold the pedal in place, then everything else is adjusting the throttle cable. I used the lokar bracket that holds the throttle and kickdown cable in place, the bracket comes with the necessary springs too.

Here's an image that I had on my phone, you can see the routing of the cables there. I can take detailed shots tonight if you'd like to see it better, of the pedal too.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #8
atm70chevy

If you wouldn't mind taking a few detailed pictures that would be great! Thanks again

Anthony
Old 12-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
RustyPile

First off, I've had several fitment problems with LMC parts, so I no longer buy from them..

The simple and easy solution to your problem is to drill out the hole in your new pedal.. If the rod is too short to pass all the way through, simply cut off the rod at the bend and weld a proper fitting rod in it's place.. You may need to weld a washer to the rod to act as a stop to prevent side-to-side movement of the pedal.. To quote a line from the old Clint Eastwood movie, 'PLATOON" -- "Adapt, improvise, and overcome".... Unless I was building a show truck, no way would I spend upwards of $150 to fix a simple gas pedal problem...

I'm currently addressing some serious medical issues, but I'm willing to help you with your gas pedal. You buy any needed parts and I'll provide the consultation and labor at no charge.. Palestine is about 55 miles south out of Tyler on hwy 155.. The small town where I live is 10 miles south of Palestine.. I have a well equipped (but severely crowded) shop.. Longview is a bit of a road trip for you, but if you're willing, I'm able...... PM me and we'll exchange phone numbers..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #10
atm70chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
First off, I've had several fitment problems with LMC parts, so I no longer buy from them..

The simple and easy solution to your problem is to drill out the hole in your new pedal.. If the rod is too short to pass all the way through, simply cut off the rod at the bend and weld a proper fitting rod in it's place.. You may need to weld a washer to the rod to act as a stop to prevent side-to-side movement of the pedal.. To quote a line from the old Clint Eastwood movie, 'PLATOON" -- "Adapt, improvise, and overcome".... Unless I was building a show truck, no way would I spend upwards of $150 to fix a simple gas pedal problem...

I'm currently addressing some serious medical issues, but I'm willing to help you with your gas pedal. You buy any needed parts and I'll provide the consultation and labor at no charge.. Palestine is about 55 miles south out of Tyler on hwy 155.. The small town where I live is 10 miles south of Palestine.. I have a well equipped (but severely crowded) shop.. Longview is a bit of a road trip for you, but if you're willing, I'm able...... PM me and we'll exchange phone numbers..
Thanks for the offer!! I thought about trying to enlarge he hole in the new pedal but I'm not sure there is room.... Never thought about cutting the pedal rod and making it smaller. If I wind going that route I will definitely be in touch with you.

Thanks again,
Anthony
Old 12-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Accelerator pedal question

The pictures of the 71 gas pedal with the rod has to have the mounting parts to the fire wall inside the cab to work. It's the pivot point for the pedal. I took my factory 71 gas pedal out and used the Lokar gas pedal assembly, brake pedal and e brake in my 71.
You can see the GP mount in the picture and it's much smoother operation since it's ball bearings.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #12
Auroch

Here’s a more detailed look. Excuse the mess, I’m in the middle of wiring and interior rebuild. You can coorelate how the cable goes through the firewall and the three bolt plate that holds the pedal assembly. Hopefully this also illustrates how to setup your Lokar cables using the bracket. If you already invested in the cables might as well go all the way I think.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #13
atm70chevy

Auroch and Andy thank you for the pictures. Those are a HUGE help. That Lokar pedal does look nice....May have to buy myself a Christmas present!